U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2016, 11:46 AM

3 posts, read 2,353 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty sure Congress Park would be a great fit for myself and my husband (if we can swing it financially) but we have two young children (4 and 7) wonder how kid friendly it is.

Are there a lot of children in the neighborhood? Do people let their kids play outside on their own (more for my seven year old)? Can my kids go outside and find a friend, or is it more a culture of parents making plans for their children? I really love residential city neighborhoods, but I don't want to live in a neighborhood where, by cultural norms or actual safety issues, I will be required to hover over my kids anytime they step outside the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 04:55 PM

107 posts, read 88,724 times
There are lots of kids in Congress Park, but because of the busy east/west streets, you (sadly) won't see kids on their own all that much. It is more of a play date culture. While that is kind of crummy, I love the experiences that my kids get to have growing up in a more urban environment. For us it's a good trade off.

Old 03-14-2016, 07:50 PM

13,950 posts, read 20,207,715 times
Default First things first

What is your housing budget? Rent or buy?
Locations of your jobs?

Old 03-16-2016, 09:34 AM

244 posts, read 226,546 times
I live just North of Congress Park in City Park South. I often walk to Cherry Creek North through the neighborhood and there are always a ton of kids out and about. Just the other day I passed some kids (had to be around 5-6) selling lemonade on the street corner.

I don't have kids, but I would consider it extremely kid friendly.

As far as schools go, I can't comment there.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:40 AM

3 posts, read 2,353 times
Thanks for the replies! The neighborhood is a really good fit for my family in most ways so setting up playdates instead of sending them out to play is a minor drawback for us.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:42 AM

568 posts, read 1,045,007 times
Yes. Have you also considered Park Hill?

Old 03-20-2016, 06:26 PM

9 posts, read 5,646 times
There are lots of kids in Congress Park. We live one neighborhood over but we bike over there for lunch, ice cream, or errands pretty regularly and always see lots of families. Kids do play by themselves but not in the front yards and they don't roam around--the streets are too busy. It's more of a "go over to Katie's house and play in the backyard" scene, so you don't see them from the streets. Our older kid has some preschool classmates who live in Congress Park and their parents seem really happy with the neighborhood. Teller Elementary was our #2 school choice pick for kindergarten--it's not a super high performing school but very solid and steadily improving as the neighborhood gentrifies. The principal is well regarded. You could also look at the western part of Park Hill. The western part of Hale/Mayfair also has a similar feel with lower prices.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:51 PM

9,224 posts, read 15,903,815 times
I live in Congress Park and it is practically all families with kids.

On my street Madison, which is busy because it is wider (used to be a street car lane)... there are always kids out playing around in the front yard from 8th to 12th. Including my own 8 year old daughter and 7 year old across the street.

So as someone who lives here I would say that YES kids do play on their own. However, I am usually very near and they know not to go near the street.

The safer alternative is just to go play at Teller or Congress park itself. This is a great urban neighborhood, I love it here.

Last edited by Mach50; 03-20-2016 at 08:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or