U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 09:55 AM

8 posts, read 6,184 times

Advertisements

I will certainly look into whether or not it is a registered historical house. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 10:09 AM

918 posts, read 984,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamld83 View Post
Makes me wonder though...for those of you who know Denver- Doesn't Wash park area have the best chance of overcoming something like this???

Thanks again.
Most places in Denver with average sales prices at or above $500k for houses have great chances of overcoming unslightly neighbors- or where a prospective homebuyer will overlook such a slight con because everything else outweighs it.

I wouldn't worry about the house, if you are as tenacious as you describe than you'll get the owners to improve it within a relatively short amount of time, i.e. less than a year.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:16 AM

3,111 posts, read 4,884,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
I wouldn't worry about the house, if you are as tenacious as you describe than you'll get the owners to improve it within a relatively short amount of time, i.e. less than a year.
Or the neighbors will hate you and refuse to do anything out of spite.

Renters typically don't take care of the outside, because they don't want to spend their time, effort, and/or money on a house that isn't theirs. It's like asking apartment dwellers to take care of the area around their building.

The owner is responsible for this, so focus your efforts there.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:25 AM

21,016 posts, read 11,641,475 times
Quote:
Most places in Denver with average sales prices at or above $500k for houses have great chances of overcoming unslightly neighbors- or where a prospective homebuyer will overlook such a slight con because everything else outweighs it.

Do you really do what your neighbors tell you to do? The owners are renting it out to people who are semi-trashing the place. They clearly don't care about the house or the neighbors.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Do you really do what your neighbors tell you to do? The owners are renting it out to people who are semi-trashing the place. They clearly don't care about the house or the neighbors.
No, but once you make Code Enforcement annoyed enough to really put the screws to someone the owners tend to start cleaning **** up because of the amount of fines they rack up- or they evict the tenants. If the OP is really as tenacious as mentioned, the landscaping will get cleaned up. Not much that you can do about the blankets in the windows though....

One nice thing about living in Stapleton is that such issues with ****ty renters are less prevalent due to the MCA and the myriad of HOA's. The house may look a little dumpy, but at least the landscaping is decent.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:55 AM

5,444 posts, read 4,816,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamld83 View Post
This is no exaggeration- all the windows are covered up with anything you can imagine (blankets, trash), the yard and landscaping is in disrepair (dead grass, dead trees), back yard is full of junk (mattresses, furniture, trash, even a machete) and it sits on the end of a huge lot which takes up a substantial portion of our view across the street.

Quote:
No, but once you make Code Enforcement annoyed enough to really put the screws to someone the owners tend to start cleaning **** up because of the amount of fines they rack up- or they evict the tenants. If the OP is really as tenacious as mentioned, the landscaping will get cleaned up. Not much that you can do about the blankets in the windows though....

One nice thing about living in Stapleton is that such issues with ****ty renters are less prevalent due to the MCA and the myriad of HOA's. The house may look a little dumpy, but at least the landscaping is decent.
From what the OP mentioned, I don't see all that much which would be code enforceable. I don't believe the city can do anything at all about the windows being covered up. As for the back yard having all that junk, again I'm not sure the city can do much since it is in the back yard (fenced in back yard?). Also, the city can't do anything about the dead landscaping (minus trees because dead ones pose a hazard).

Old 03-16-2016, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
From what the OP mentioned, I don't see all that much which would be code enforceable. I don't believe the city can do anything at all about the windows being covered up. As for the back yard having all that junk, again I'm not sure the city can do much since it is in the back yard (fenced in back yard?). Also, the city can't do anything about the dead landscaping (minus trees because dead ones pose a hazard).
Blankets in the windows just have to be accepted, but a dead yard with overgrown weeds is considered a health hazard. I believe the code says that they have to be kept under 1 foot. The junk can also be considered a health hazard if it is shown that it's harboring vermin.

Not much you can do about the house, but if the landscaping and junk is as bad as the OP indicates you can get Code Enforcement to cite the owners for that- it just takes being an annoying prick.

Old 03-16-2016, 12:37 PM

86,890 posts, read 102,319,187 times
Just commenting here, I don't think my post will be real helpful, but. . .

My nephew was a party to a situation similar to this, also in West Wash Park, but he was the renter. Now he didn't leave trash in the yard or have blankets in the windows, but someone was leaving trash, including injection syringes and the like in his yard. He had a heck of a time getting anything done about it.

Since the occupants are renters, it probably wouldn't matter if you p*ssed them off royally by calling code enforcement. Some of the other neighbors might even appreciate it. As david v said, the neighbors might not be supportive of your actually making waves, though.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 03-16-2016 at 12:58 PM..

Old 03-16-2016, 01:05 PM

3,054 posts, read 2,081,073 times
Code enforcement can nail the owner for weeds too tall or trash in the yard. Weeds are a fire hazard and trash is a health hazard. The owner, not the renters. It then becomes the owners issue in dealing with the renters. That is why I said it is going to take time. If the owners are lacking tracking it now, it usually isn't until the fines begin to accumulate that they may finally step up to deal with it.

Nothing can be done about the blankets and plastic bags for curtains.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:05 PM

2,514 posts, read 3,488,646 times
I would imagine that if anything could be done the current owners of the house you are trying to buy would have done it as it is affecting the amount they can sell for. Check to see if complaints to the city etc. have already been made. If so you may have to accept that it is what is causing you to get a "fair" price. Either pay more for better neighbors or accept that nothing lasts forever and you may have to live with it for awhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver