Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 01:43 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,557,632 times

Advertisements

Look up the Denver codes. There are plenty that deal with overgrown lawns, trash, etc. It's very easy to call in complaints. You can complain when they don't shovel their walk after a snow storm too. The city will issue fines if they do not correct the problems.

There are a few homes like that in WWP. Fewer and fewer as the years go by and people cash out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 02:01 PM

8 posts, read 7,644 times
Thanks again for all the replies. I have done research and found that mattresses in the yard are in fact illegal (bed bugs) as is large amounts of trash per the city of Denver. It actually is visible from the street as well so that should help. My only inclination is to nudge the owners- and I plan on doing that as much as needed before improvements are made. Hey maybe only a pipe dream but all one can do is at least try to improve their situation. In all honesty, I have even wondered if there is nefarious activity going on there. It certainly fits the description, I am not exaggerating when I say ALL the windows from the inside are covered up with something and this a fairly large house.

Such a shame because all the other houses are very tidy and you can tell there is a lot of pride in ownership.

Old 03-16-2016, 02:12 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
I would imagine that if anything could be done the current owners of the house you are trying to buy would have done it as it is affecting the amount they can sell for. Check to see if complaints to the city etc. have already been made. If so you may have to accept that it is what is causing you to get a "fair" price. Either pay more for better neighbors or accept that nothing lasts forever and you may have to live with it for awhile.

This is a very good point.

Think about it, OP. Don't you think the current owners of the house you are interested in buying would have done what they could about the situation if they could? I mean, you said the house is selling for less than market value, and this is obviously the reason, wouldn't you say?

I'd tread very carefully. Personally (and I am very tenacious myself), the last thing I want to be doing when I buy a new home is dealing with a bunch of low-class trash and wasting my time and energy over something like this.

Old 03-16-2016, 02:43 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,557,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamld83 View Post
Thanks again for all the replies. I have done research and found that mattresses in the yard are in fact illegal (bed bugs) as is large amounts of trash per the city of Denver. It actually is visible from the street as well so that should help. My only inclination is to nudge the owners- and I plan on doing that as much as needed before improvements are made. Hey maybe only a pipe dream but all one can do is at least try to improve their situation. In all honesty, I have even wondered if there is nefarious activity going on there. It certainly fits the description, I am not exaggerating when I say ALL the windows from the inside are covered up with something and this a fairly large house.

Such a shame because all the other houses are very tidy and you can tell there is a lot of pride in ownership.
It's not on the Washington Street, is it?

Old 03-16-2016, 04:11 PM

126 posts, read 145,522 times
Call 311. Call 311 again. Tell all the neighbors to call 311. The house next door to me was similar. I became a pain in the city's a**. The city code enforcement manager and I now know each other on a first name basis. Broken windows are not allowed. Weeds cannot be higher than 18". Furniture/appliances/trash are NOT allowed in the yard. The city can and WILL act, but they have to have the property on their radar as a nuisance. If you have small children that may inadvertently wander on the property be sure and mention them when filing your complaint. The city became much more responsive when they found out little kids were in close proximity to broken windows. The off-site owner was finally ordered to rehab the property or sell it. It's now cleaned up and on the market.

*Also, if the renters appear to be unrelated (e.g. a bunch of 20-somethings splitting the rent) be advised that Denver has rules about that sort of thing. No more than 3 unrelated people (someone correct me if I'm wrong on that number) can live together in a house. Call 311 and turn them in.

It may take some time, but if all those living on the street file complaints regularly with 311, the city will eventually start warning and fining the homeowners.

Good luck!

Old 03-16-2016, 06:41 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
useless without address

Old 03-16-2016, 08:37 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,509,230 times
I suspect that house is the main reason you are getting a good deal. There is a duplex in my neighborhood like that. All of the other houses are well kept except the "white trash" house, as I call it. Every house in the neighborhood that has come up for sale has sold immediately, usually above asking price EXCEPT the one across from the WT house. It has sat on the market for months and had the price lowered almost $35,000 despite being priced well in the first place. I know I would never buy it.

Old 03-16-2016, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
It's not on the Washington Street, is it?
No it is not..I am hesitant to give out the exact address on a public forum. Sorry.

Old 03-16-2016, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
This is a very good point.

Think about it, OP. Don't you think the current owners of the house you are interested in buying would have done what they could about the situation if they could? I mean, you said the house is selling for less than market value, and this is obviously the reason, wouldn't you say?

I'd tread very carefully. Personally (and I am very tenacious myself), the last thing I want to be doing when I buy a new home is dealing with a bunch of low-class trash and wasting my time and energy over something like this.
Very good point. My realtor thinks we should go for it, based on the location, lack of competitive offers and POTENTIAL neighborhood development. But you are right .....it will be there the first morning I wake up. What matter is what I can deal with it.

Thank you everyone. I have time to think about it.

Old 03-16-2016, 10:40 PM

Another point....its not like we are getting a good deal. We are paying list price, commensurate with sqft, condition and lot size of other homes in the area. I just think the competition was less due to the street location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver