U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 08:17 AM

8 posts, read 6,201 times

Advertisements

So the title pretty much describes it. We are purchasing a tidy bungalow in Wash Park West which is a fairly solid, close to downtown, neighborhood. However across the street is a monstrosity of a home which is bothering me quite a bit. This is no exaggeration- all the windows are covered up with anything you can imagine (blankets, trash), the yard and landscaping is in disrepair (dead grass, dead trees), back yard is full of junk (mattresses, furniture, trash, even a machete) and it sits on the end of a huge lot which takes up a substantial portion of our view across the street.

Now about 85% of the street on both sides looks tidy and clean, especially our side, its just the last 2/3 houses directly across the street from us are exceedingly worse as they get closer to the Amityville house. Using public information I found that the owners live in a 700k house in the burbs, which tells me they are renting to undesirables which is bothersome to me. (I've seen lights on during night time recons)

My question is 2 part- Will the progress that is going on in this city inevitably bleed over? The owners must be considering selling as they bought for a steal in 2011. Secondly, what is in my power to do? Complain to the city? Maybe even reach out to the owners?

Sorry if I am overreacting but as a first time home buyer this makes me nervous. We have been looking and this is the nicest house in the best neighborhood we've found for less than what rent would be. We feel lucky to be just starting a contract on a great house for a surprisingly "fair" price in this market and plan to stay for quite awhile.....my worry is that for the reminder of our time her my nice porch is useless due to the view across the street. We still have time to back out....my agent is a nice trusting guy and tells me it will be fine, but of course he has a vested interest $$$$.

Sorry for the novel! Thanks for all your time and consideration.

Signed,

Nervous first time home buyer......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 08:32 AM

16,720 posts, read 14,706,912 times
I wouldn't have bought a house across the street from such trash in the first place.

There is not much you can do to make an owner give a damn about their own property. If you complain, they will probably do the least amount required to make the issue go away, and then as long as they are renting to undesirables, the same thing will happen over & over.

That is why you should vet the desired neighborhood thoroughly before purchasing a home.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I wouldn't have bought a house across the street from such trash in the first place.

There is not much you can do to make an owner give a damn about their own property. If you complain, they will probably do the least amount required to make the issue go away, and then as long as they are renting to undesirables, the same thing will happen over & over.

That is why you should vet the desired neighborhood thoroughly before purchasing a home.

Sorry to mislead, I did not buy a home from the owners of said house. I just know of them through public records. We are very familiar with the neighborhood, it has consistently been a strong and desirable neighborhood in the downtown area which helps to make this difficult.

Also, we still do have time to back out if we wish....which is why I am trying to weigh my options..

Thanks for the reply though.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:53 AM

16,720 posts, read 14,706,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamld83 View Post
Sorry to mislead, I did not buy a home from the owners of said house. I just know of them through public records. We are very familiar with the neighborhood, it has consistently been a strong and desirable neighborhood in the downtown area which helps to make this difficult.

Also, we still do have time to back out if we wish....which is why I am trying to weigh my options..

Thanks for the reply though.

I understood what you meant. I was just saying that typically folks who rent their home out to undesirables and don't appear to care about their own property, usually won't change overnight.

If it were me, I would back out. Doubtful that you will change anything. It's a shame that the owner is allowing his home to blight the neighborhood.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:57 AM

922 posts, read 990,193 times
You can complain to the city about the overgrown yard- they'll issue a warning to the owners. Multiple warnings can result in fines.

You can also lodge complaints with the Wash Park neighborhood association as well.

Just become the absentee landlords worst nightmare regarding their tenants.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:59 AM

3,085 posts, read 2,121,351 times
You could try contacting the owner to see if they give a flying flip about it. If not, you can call code enforcement and let them pursue it through their channels. If the owner is non-responsive and you have to go through code, don't expect an immediate response, if any, until it gets even worse.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:14 AM

7,142 posts, read 8,884,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamld83 View Post
So the title pretty much describes it. We are purchasing a tidy bungalow in Wash Park West which is a fairly solid, close to downtown, neighborhood. However across the street is a monstrosity of a home which is bothering me quite a bit. This is no exaggeration- all the windows are covered up with anything you can imagine (blankets, trash), the yard and landscaping is in disrepair (dead grass, dead trees), back yard is full of junk (mattresses, furniture, trash, even a machete) and it sits on the end of a huge lot which takes up a substantial portion of our view across the street.

Now about 85% of the street on both sides looks tidy and clean, especially our side, its just the last 2/3 houses directly across the street from us are exceedingly worse as they get closer to the Amityville house. Using public information I found that the owners live in a 700k house in the burbs, which tells me they are renting to undesirables which is bothersome to me. (I've seen lights on during night time recons)

My question is 2 part- Will the progress that is going on in this city inevitably bleed over? The owners must be considering selling as they bought for a steal in 2011. Secondly, what is in my power to do? Complain to the city? Maybe even reach out to the owners?

Sorry if I am overreacting but as a first time home buyer this makes me nervous. We have been looking and this is the nicest house in the best neighborhood we've found for less than what rent would be. We feel lucky to be just starting a contract on a great house for a surprisingly "fair" price in this market and plan to stay for quite awhile.....my worry is that for the reminder of our time her my nice porch is useless due to the view across the street. We still have time to back out....my agent is a nice trusting guy and tells me it will be fine, but of course he has a vested interest $$$$.

Sorry for the novel! Thanks for all your time and consideration.

Signed,

Nervous first time home buyer......
Is this by any chance a historical house? If it is, my guess is that the landowner is doing the old “let it deteriorate, until it starts to fall down and is beyond any hope of saving, then apply for a demolition permit, and replace it with a monstrosity of a two story modern box house completely void of any stylistic integrity”.

Be careful what you wish for. The results could be worse then what you have now.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:35 AM

21,177 posts, read 11,797,310 times
I don't think there's any basis to assume they are going to sell so if you buy, you have to acknowledge that is what your view is going to be, at least for the foreseeable future. It's possible it will eventually be scraped and you'll have a brand new, probably overly large new neighbor although that wouldn't really bother me all that much personally.

But you have very limited means to try to get them to change anything, so maybe you'd be better off backing out. Personally, I would be very hesitant to buy in the circumstances you are describing. It's one thing to take a risk on a neighborhood that, as a whole, needs to improve and to be an urban pioneer. That's a very different thing than buying the house across from what you are describing.

Have you talked to any of the other people who would be your neighbors? Curious to see what they know and think about it all.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:36 AM

2,493 posts, read 2,195,305 times
You say the house is "surprisingly fair priced".
Probably because of the problem house.
Makes it a good long term investment.
Eventually the problem house gets better.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:45 AM

Thanks for the responses everyone. Yes this is making it a very difficult decision. On one hand we are probably getting in slightly cheaper and with less competition due to this (we overcame a cash offer). But if it remains its going to hurt our resale in the future (and my eyes).

I will certainly look at filing complaints with the city on this property including the one next to it. First of course I will approach the individual(s). I can be a fairly tenacious person when confronted with something like this and will certainly lead the charge as this must be effecting home values, if we decide to follow thru.

There are probably 10 pros to this one con..........

Makes me wonder though...for those of you who know Denver- Doesn't Wash park area have the best chance of overcoming something like this???

Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver