U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2016, 11:29 AM

9 posts, read 6,833 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I want start off by saying; I’ve recently made a three-day visit to the Front Range a few weeks ago and I’m sold. I must say as an outsider, Denver and the Front Range is beautiful. I stayed at Gateway Park in Aurora. I spent one-day exploring (mostly driving around) Denver; did some shopping at the what appears to be a dying Gander Mountain (what’s up with that?); spent some time walking around downtown on Larimer street. I drove down to Colorado Springs and hiked around at Garden of the Gods drove through Manitou Springs explored the city a bit and even drove through the Black Forest area. I spent another day in Boulder driving around; had some coffee at Starbucks at the Boulder strip mall, bought some books at The Boulder Bookstore, watched a guy playing a ‘squeezebox’ and drove out to Nederland and visited Mud Lake area (hiked around a bit). I saw some of Colorado’s newly acquired Marijuana ‘bars’ scattered here in there (mostly in Manitou and Boulder).

Driving through boulder towards Nederland I was drooling. I’m out outdoorsy type and what I saw was a ton of opportunity for hiking, fishing and exploring while driving along the twistiest, fastest section of mountain rode I’ve ever driven (traffic really hums through there). So all in all it was a fun fast too-short three-day excursion to the Front Range and further solidified that I want to relocate there.

Now, a little about me and what I’m hoping the Front Range will be to me.

Currently, I’m living in Sioux Falls SD, transplanted there after 32 years in Phoenix AZ. I have enjoyed my time here however it’s not for me (east river side of SD), no trees, no topography and too damn cold for too long. I can handle snow, cold weather but -25 wind chills for days on end with no relief from dark dreary grey days for months on end grinds on me. Sioux Falls was ok for the last few years, but it’s size bothers me (too small); although a growing city it’s nowhere near what I’m used to growing up with (Phoenix AZ).

I’m a working professional; I’ve recently enlisted the assistance of a career coach and networker in the Front Range area that is assisting me in getting ‘connected’ and hopefully finding the right opportunity for work and my career. Which I’m hopeful will pan out. I’ll be looking for opportunities with salaries in the range of 75k-150k based on my experience(s)/skills and a recent preliminary assessment with my career coach and myself feel this is realistic expectation.

I’m a soon to be 46-year-old, single, no kids’ outdoors guy. I’m into hunting (mostly small game and bird), motorcycling, hiking, mountain biking, camping, and occasionally skiing or snowboarding. I love to explore whether it’s cities or wilderness. I’m not so much of a yuppie type; more of a city boy with redneck tendencies. I grew up playing in the forest of the Mogollon Rim in Northern AZ on the weekends and spent my week days in North Phoenix suburbs.

Some of you might say why not move back to Phoenix? Too hot, and it’s way too big now. Plus, I want quicker access to mountains, trees, rivers, streams, and wildlife. Not to mention one of the things I didn’t like about Phoenix was lack of four seasons and even the green time of year was more brownish.

What I could use your help with:
  1. From what you’ve read, does Denver or Boulder sound like a place that I would enjoy living? I’m thinking probably north Denver or Boulder proper.
  2. I was originally looking at Colorado Springs; however, I was informed that job opportunities that fit my requirements would be harder to find down there. My skills are more related to technology, marketing and management; think Internet of Things, Machine to Machine, Software as a Service and consulting. Is Denver and/or Boulder the better option for looking at a place to settle into and stay gainfully employed? I’ve discovered recently I’m not a great candidate for fortune 500 corporations that I’m looking for something smaller; small to medium size business.
  3. Initially, I’ll likely rent a two-bedroom apartment or small house somewhere in the range of $1000-1500/month; I do need some type of garage as I have motorcycles, mountain bikes and outdoor gear that need to be protected from elements and theft. What are your thoughts on availability of housing with these requirements?
  4. Being a single 40 something I am looking to date and meet new people; I’m heterosexual and somewhat outgoing although not a social butterfly; what’s your thoughts on this and what my experiences may be living in the above mentioned areas?
  5. Overall, will a new outsider be welcomed or shunned? I am seriously considering making Colorado my long term home as I’ve always dreamed of living in Colorado after visits there during my childhood

In conclusion, thank you for taking the time to read this and if you responded; I greatly appreciate your input.

I look forward to assistance and thoughts.
L00kingF0rH0me

Additional thoughts:

I now want to try my hand at joining the fourteener club!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 04:13 PM

2,102 posts, read 1,839,970 times
It's impossible to know for sure, but you sound like the type of person that would enjoy the Frontrange. A couple of things that you might need to consider:

1. Boulder/Denver are liberal. You don't have to be liberal, but you probably won't enjoy the people here if you can't hang out with liberal people.

2. It's dry here.

3. You might have been out here in the last few weeks when we had a warm spell. It's not brutally cold like SD, but it does get cold here.

4. Rental costs depends on how nice of a place you want, but I'd budget $1500-$2000.

5. The people here are very nice and welcoming.

Old 03-19-2016, 05:09 PM

Liberal is good, I find myself at odds very often with the conservative farmers of SD

Old 03-19-2016, 08:28 PM

14,046 posts, read 20,382,028 times
Default Subaru, The North Face are required

I will pay you $1 for every plague-carrying prairie dog you kill.
And, welcome to Colorado.

Old 03-19-2016, 10:15 PM

13,682 posts, read 13,615,774 times
I've got a few buddies like you - they like their hunting and their motorcycles. Socially liberal, no matter their political affiliation. I really think you'll fit in just fine, especially in Denver. Maybe just outside of Boulder?

I'm female, 40, pretty far left politically and I grew up in Central Jersey, but Boulder is just a little too hippy dippy for me. Love to visit, but I'm just a little too... Jersey to live there. LOL. The eye candy is pretty great though - almost everybody there is in crazy-good shape. Practically had to scoop my 84-year-old father's eyes off the ground and strap a neck brace on him when he visited.

But I think it's even pricier than Denver to live in, and I think the singles crowd tends to skew younger. My friend who lives there is 42 and male, and he finds the dating scene miserable because he's not a hardcore fitness fan and the pool of available 30-something to 40-something women is limited.

Next time you visit (or when you get here), definitely take the cog rail up Pike's Peak. It's kind of awesome.

Old 03-20-2016, 05:00 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,528,103 times
Denver/Boulder sounds like a perfect fit except for your rental budget (especially for Boulder---you'd have to double it). The average rent is around $1400/ mo for a one bedroom in Denver and more than that in Boulder but it sounds like you'll potentially be making enough to afford what you want. You can probably find a 2BR closer w/ a garage around $2000. Otherwise, you'll get everything you want although I always say there are only 2 seasons, Summer and Winter with 2 or 3 weeks of Fall / Spring.

Old 03-20-2016, 07:51 AM

Thanks all for the replies.

I'll definitely check out the COG Railroad!

Death to Prairie Dogs! HMR 17 will do em in.

See now JrzDefector, that's what I love about that area; everyone is in crazy good shape. If you were to go out and about around Sioux Falls everyone is 50-100lbs overweight; they call it "corn fed"...I call it fat and unhealthy. And I'm totally ok with wearing a neck brace most of the year.

Wow, rent is steeper than I had researched. I'm thinking I'll probably end up somewhere in North Denver area instead of Boulder; just depends on where I find my next career op.

Once again, thanks for the replies and suggestions.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:19 AM

50 posts, read 36,586 times
Couple things.

Research denver County gun laws. They made me look specifically outside of denver county.

As far as employment, my experience is that cost of living is higher but salaries are lower than dallas. There are lots of small and medium businesses. Are you freelancing? There's opportunity there, but building your network will be the hardest thing. I'm in tech consulting, but I've only been here a couple months so my network is very small.

Old 03-20-2016, 10:14 AM

goofygrin - Thanks for the heads up on Gun Laws; I'll definitely check it out

I'm not sure yet if I'm going to freelance or go to work for someone; I'm still working that out. Regarding the networking I knew that was going to be a problem so I've enlisted the help of someone that is very connected along the Front Range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver