Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 05:42 PM

22,201 posts, read 29,249,685 times

Advertisements

Bf and I would love to buy a new construction but we do not need 3000+sq ft so it looks like we're screwed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 08:00 PM

17,691 posts, read 29,669,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Bf and I would love to buy a new construction but we do not need 3000+sq ft so it looks like we're screwed
You do not want new.
The best house is 3-5 years old.
New design.
Up to code (for the most part).
The major construction flaws have raised their ugly snouts.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:23 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,843,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Sooner or later, the bubble will burst and the housing market will make a correction. Overpaying for a house in schizophrenic weather Colorado isn't worth being ripped off. It's a fad living in this state because hipsters and yuppies said so.
I am from Colorado and I am glad it is expensive for single family homes. It keeps the riff-raff out.

Obviously, people think Colorado is a good value or they wouldn't be moving there in droves. Colorado offers something for everyone unlike Arizona which is a boring, one-sized fits all, redneck cesspool.

Prescott is full of halfway houses and heroin addict treatment centers. It has trouble from all over America moving to it to escape their bad circumstances. You couldn't pay me to live in Prescott.

As a single male, I can rent a room in a house for $600 a month in Denver. Which is reasonable for the culture it offers and so many interesting groups of people. Its the families that have to pay $25,000 a year plus for a rental which ensures rich people move into Colorado and poor people don't.

Las Vegas and Phoenix are nothing but huge baby factories because of their cheap, single-family housing construction. So many poor families from California and the Midwest moving to Phoenix and Las Vegas.

I wonder what Denver and Los Angeles will be like in a decade since poor families can't live there. They can only live in Denver or LA if they are on section 8 or staying with family. I venture to guess they will get better and better. The schools will get better and better as they will have more rich and less poor families to educate also. Poor families love Arizona and Nevada hence all the schools in portable classrooms in trailer park and dumpy neighborhoods.

Colorado also doesn't have to worry about people sick of Chicago moving porting their housing vouchers as landlords have multiple prospective tenants per affordable listing to choose from. Las Vegas and Phoenix are dumping grounds for section 8 vouchers from Chicago.

Unlike Colorado which has yuppies and hipsters moving in. Phoenix and Las Vegas are mainly attracting big, poor families who can't afford the $2500/mo rents for single family homes in LA or Denver.

Last edited by lovecrowds; 03-24-2016 at 08:37 PM..

Old 03-24-2016, 10:22 PM

214 posts, read 258,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I am from Colorado and I am glad it is expensive for single family homes. It keeps the riff-raff out.
It keeps the riff-raff out?

Old 03-24-2016, 11:55 PM

3,401 posts, read 4,593,330 times

That's not true, in Stapleton, you have expensive $400+ homes and a block south, there are post WW2 homes built in the 1950s. How is that keeping riff raff out when the crime can easily flood over? The demographics from Stapleton and south of 26th Ave are segregated.

Obviously, people think Colorado is a good value or they wouldn't be moving there in droves. Colorado offers something for everyone unlike Arizona which is a boring, one-sized fits all, redneck cesspool.

Colorado is a great place to live. For the price, it's not worth it, even if the person can financially afford it. Paying extra money for a home in Colorado to shovel snow in the winter and worrying about afternoon summer thunderstorms that ruin planned day events isn't worth the hassle. Arizona is NOT a one-sized fits all cesspool, have you visited the Grand Canyon, the red rock formations in Sedona or Saguaro National Park west of Tucson? The state is beautiful and has plenty of different geographical variances

Prescott is full of halfway houses and heroin addict treatment centers. It has trouble from all over America moving to it to escape their bad circumstances. You couldn't pay me to live in Prescott.

Prescott and Prescott Valley is mainly a retirement city, with a community college, almost the same altitude as Denver. The weather is slightly warmer than Denver and has little to no snow, but isn't uber hot like Phoenix. I'd say it's alot like Grand Junction and Montrose. The subdivisions don't consist of all halfway homes, that's a big false generalization.

As a single male, I can rent a room in a house for $600 a month in Denver. Which is reasonable for the culture it offers and so many interesting groups of people. Its the families that have to pay $25,000 a year plus for a rental which ensures rich people move into Colorado and poor people don't.

Las Vegas and Phoenix are nothing but huge baby factories because of their cheap, single-family housing construction. So many poor families from California and the Midwest moving to Phoenix and Las Vegas.

Again, that's all perception and opinion. All cities have poor people, whether Vegas or Phoenix have more poor people or not isn't the point.

I wonder what Denver and Los Angeles will be like in a decade since poor families can't live there. They can only live in Denver or LA if they are on section 8 or staying with family. I venture to guess they will get better and better. The schools will get better and better as they will have more rich and less poor families to educate also. Poor families love Arizona and Nevada hence all the schools in portable classrooms in trailer park and dumpy neighborhoods.

LA and Denver in a decade will be the same, just more people living there, more crowds, traffic, more left wing politics, higher COL. Endlessly funding public education doesn't lead to better quality education. Trailer parks and dumpy neighborhoods in Vegas and Phoenix? Another broad brush of generalization. Check out some homes in Gilbert and Chandler then get back to me on that.

Colorado also doesn't have to worry about people sick of Chicago moving porting their housing vouchers as landlords have multiple prospective tenants per affordable listing to choose from. Las Vegas and Phoenix are dumping grounds for section 8 vouchers from Chicago.

Not true.

Unlike Colorado which has yuppies and hipsters moving in. Phoenix and Las Vegas are mainly attracting big, poor families who can't afford the $2500/mo rents for single family homes in LA or Denver.

What's your evidence that Phoenix and Vegas attract big poor families? Look at Montbello, and west Denver. Those are old, run down neighborhoods.

Last edited by Hschlick84; 03-25-2016 at 12:16 AM..

Old 03-25-2016, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
You do not want new.
The best house is 3-5 years old.
New design.
Up to code (for the most part).
The major construction flaws have raised their ugly snouts.
I've bought new before in Charlotte and that's what I prefer. But then again, we can't find any that isn't completely huge.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:02 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,150,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I've bought new before in Charlotte and that's what I prefer. But then again, we can't find any that isn't completely huge.
What about townhomes? Or the smaller courtyard houses in Stapleton? Most of the courtyard homes are about the right size for a couple.

Old 03-25-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
What about townhomes? Or the smaller courtyard houses in Stapleton? Most of the courtyard homes are about the right size for a couple.

We're in West Lakewood right near his job and because he's the big bread winner, this area it is. We'd also like ranch style so at this point we're staying in our apt till we decide everything out. There's several new homes in arvada/wheat ridge area but all so huge!!!

Old 04-03-2016, 10:00 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,138,602 times
I think one factor about starter homes is that student loan debt has made it to where young people are not ready to purchase their first home until they are about 30. So when they do, they need to consider the quality of schools if they plan on having children. And let's face it, how many older starter homes are located in good areas with great schools?

Old 04-04-2016, 12:28 PM

7,489 posts, read 13,527,150 times
Another effect that may play into this issue is similar to the demise of Sears and Kmart.

Today's 20 (and 30)-somethings do not want to buy the same home (or clothes, etc) that their parents started with.

They want the McMansion right away, not the 3/1 ranch on slab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver