U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 10:20 AM

3 posts, read 9,531 times

Advertisements

Hello-
I will be living in Denver half the year (summer/fall) and Austin the other half. My job requires that I either do this or move to Denver/Boulder area full time. I will likely move to Denver full time in a few years.

I have been looking for a neighborhood to live in. It is most important to me that the neighborhood is mixed use/walkable/urban. I will be driving all the time for work, so I don't want to live somewhere where I have to drive to get every little thing.
Next in the rank of importance is proximity to the airport (not outrageous far, since I will be there often). No kids but will have some in the next few years. Space is not too important, and I don't care if it has a yard.
And- NO BARKING DOGS- this sounds dumb until you live where there are 10+ dogs in yards touching yours- and they all live outside and bark all day/night. It is horrible.

I have found several great places (like Lowery/Highlands/Stapleton/ Bradburn), but some are very expensive. Does anyone know which are least costly? Are there other area of the city that are like this but older or cheaper??? Under $200,000 is best, but I am doubting this is possible. Around $200,000 is acceptable.

I will have to rent for a little while, so if the neighborhood offers both rentals and homes/condos/townhouses, it will be best. This way I won't have to lose all the friends I make by having to leave.

Thanks so much!
Stacey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 10:36 AM

5,113 posts, read 17,466,345 times
the little i know from my research seems to point to the newer areas around the airport.. brighton and such.. commerce city would match your price point too

Old 02-11-2008, 10:40 AM

4,267 posts, read 5,312,530 times
I think Stapleton would be your best bet as it's close to the airport and meets all of your other criteria. I'd imagine you could buy a condo for your price range but not a house.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:07 PM

694 posts, read 1,793,827 times
This touches on a big problem with smart growth neighborhoods--affordability. People want to live in these places and demand is so high it runs the prices up. I know there are townhomes/condos in Stapleton under 200, BUT only if you qualify for affordable housing (which means you cannot earn more than 50K per year). I would look at Stapleton, but honestly not all of the homes really are in walking distance to the city centers (I would guestimate about 50% are in 10-15 minutes walking range). This is simply because Stapleton is so, so large. But it is a great neighborhood and a close drive to the airport.

I live in Bradburn, and there are some townhomes in the low to mid 200s (which are super cute) and you can get some good deals right now because the market is so awful. It is farther from the airport (40 minute drive) than Stapleton but is a great place for kids and very few/no barking dogs (I HATE them too!--our HOA takes care of it swiftly if there is a problem and so does the city). They are going to put in either single family or townhomes in the 200 range but again, they are part of an affordable housing program and I'm not sure when that will happen.

There are rentals in both Bradburn and Stapleton, so I would have a look at those.

The older neighborhoods in Denver that have the walkability aspect are usually all pretty spendy (that ole supply and demand thing) but I would still have a look around Washington Park, the Highlands, and Cheesman Park. There are others, but they are a bit far from the airport.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:37 PM

87,014 posts, read 102,634,943 times
Actually, most of the Denver city neighborhoods are walkable for some things, anyway. Most have a little shopping area with restaurants, bookstores, things like that. Most are accessible to parks. As far as airport accessibility, any of the east Denver neighborhoods will be fine.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:18 PM

694 posts, read 1,793,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Actually, most of the Denver city neighborhoods are walkable for some things, anyway.
Very true! A recent study listed Denver as the 4th most walkable city

D.C. region named most 'walkable' - Life - MSNBC.com

Old 02-11-2008, 04:29 PM

2,755 posts, read 11,767,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thespot273 View Post
I have found several great places (like Lowery/Highlands/Stapleton/ Bradburn), but some are very expensive. Does anyone know which are least costly? Are there other area of the city that are like this but older or cheaper??? Under $200,000 is best, but I am doubting this is possible. Around $200,000 is acceptable.
Frankly, 200k budget in a walkable area means condo. You might be able to get a SFH in the 'burbs for that price, no way in the city. Anyway, if you're okay with a condo, I'd look in Cheesman Park. Very walkable neighborhood, and you can easily find a 2br/2ba place for under 200k there, though you could pay a lot more if you wanted to. Plenty of rentals there as well.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:33 PM

87,014 posts, read 102,634,943 times
You might be able to find a $200K home in Longmont, the older parts of Arvada, Wheat Ridge, Englewood, etc, that would be in walkable neighborhoods of some sort.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:42 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,043,653 times
You might be able to get a rental with that budget; but a home with the requirements above is going to be almost impossible.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:03 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,295,360 times
You might find a 1 bdr. condo in Stapleton for $200K. I think low 200s is the starting rate for most condos here. The townhomes start around $300K, but very nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or