U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 08:51 AM

2,514 posts, read 3,487,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppunk View Post
The other Toll Brothers chunk (Enclave), which is on the east side, I'm buying a house is cheaper - the houses are settling in the 600k range now. The Preserve houses are enormous and there's a reason the base prices are about $200k more.
You are making an excellent decision. The Enclave houses are very nice (also very large?) and I've only heard good things about Toll Brothers from people who have bought there. My guess is you are in the newest area. I think the street layout in there is very nice as the homes don't back to each other in straight little rows. Broomfield made them do that. Originally they proposed a more traditional straight street layout.

If the new Quail Creek subdivision does what I think it will you should have a nice chunk of equity in your Enclave house before to long. I think Enclave also gets you into Meridian elementary. The initial Enclave houses sold in the mid 4s but I think those were only going at the price either before the model opened or just after. It seems once people can see a model demand goes up.

I just looked at the on-line site plan for the Preserve. At most there are only 12 sites left in there (counting the model, parking lot, construction trailer). But they started first and have the largest lots, 1/3 to 1/2 acre.

Last edited by mic111; 04-14-2016 at 09:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 09:40 AM

13,947 posts, read 20,196,196 times
Default You pay more

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppunk View Post
I'm on the mailing list for Quail Creek and they blasted out all the information...base prices range from $402k to $493k....sure by the time they get to the west side those lot premiums with the mountain views will be significantly higher.
Thanks for providing data which validates my snarky comment: "From the 400s" is builder speak for $525K.

Old 04-14-2016, 10:07 AM

6,525 posts, read 10,194,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Thanks for providing data which validates my snarky comment: "From the 400s" is builder speak for $525K.
I think what Dave's trying to say is "From the xyz,000's" will get you a bare-bones build out. By the time you're done with even the most modest of upgrades you can easily tack $20,000-$30,000 onto your bottom line (and that doesn't typically include backyard landscaping and/or finished basements).

Old 04-14-2016, 12:59 PM

138 posts, read 127,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
You are making an excellent decision. The Enclave houses are very nice (also very large?) and I've only heard good things about Toll Brothers from people who have bought there. My guess is you are in the newest area. I think the street layout in there is very nice as the homes don't back to each other in straight little rows. Broomfield made them do that. Originally they proposed a more traditional straight street layout.

If the new Quail Creek subdivision does what I think it will you should have a nice chunk of equity in your Enclave house before to long. I think Enclave also gets you into Meridian elementary. The initial Enclave houses sold in the mid 4s but I think those were only going at the price either before the model opened or just after. It seems once people can see a model demand goes up.

I just looked at the on-line site plan for the Preserve. At most there are only 12 sites left in there (counting the model, parking lot, construction trailer). But they started first and have the largest lots, 1/3 to 1/2 acre.
The house we are getting is almost 3,000 sqft (still a big house just not 4,000 sqft like Preserve), and we have one kid (and that won't change), but the master bedroom is on the first floor so that's an advantage if we stay for a very long time if we become less than ambulatory.

The other big options for us were Leyden Rock and Anthem based on us working in downtown Denver and Boulder. My wife couldn't live with the idea of possible bad publicity from Rocky Flats tanking Leyden's property values, and Anthem was really expensive to us for what it was. Some timely things happened and we paid very little for a lot premium which made the total price around what those other two areas were.

We considered buying existing houses but the idea that we had to put down a contract in a hurry with bidding ridiculousness and not being able to take the time made it not worth it. We last bought a 30 year old house in Maryland in a not good school district and there were no other kids for ours to play with in the whole neighborhood, and we ended up having to send her to private school. The house also had a lot of things that cost a lot of money and all of my free time (because $350k in Maryland will not get you in a nice SFH in a nice school district). Possibly buying another house in another childless old neighborhood was a serious drawback.

The Enclave was zoned for Meridian, but since its full the default is Coyote Ridge. My daughter goes to a different school, but by the time we move in she'll only have 1.5 years of elementary school left so we'll petition to keep her there until middle school.

Old 04-14-2016, 01:03 PM

138 posts, read 127,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I think what Dave's trying to say is "From the xyz,000's" will get you a bare-bones build out. By the time you're done with even the most modest of upgrades you can easily tack $20,000-$30,000 onto your bottom line (and that doesn't typically include backyard landscaping and/or finished basements).
Dave's right. I didn't know much about new builds until I started this process (even those base prices were far out of my reach in Maryland), but once you add a lot premium and options you will end up spending $50k to $100k or more over that base price. Those additions are what really brings up the profit margin for the builders, and people need to be careful about they cost, particularly if your sale price versus sale value later is a serious consideration.

Old 04-14-2016, 01:12 PM
Status: "Celebrating 30 years as a Broker" (set 19 days ago)

10,882 posts, read 29,310,762 times
I tell the new home buyer's to plan on an additional 10-15% in options and upgrades. Do all the stuff that is would be more expensive to install later, like extra electric outlets, or AC. But, don't buy into the stuff you can install later like a ceiling fan or a pedestal sink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or