Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 04:59 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,655,750 times

Advertisements

I lived in Denver most of my life before moving to Dallas 4 years ago. Dallas was too hot, bland and spread out for my liking. The Texas pride thing didn't bother me so much. And I loved the shopping there. But that's about it. Personally, I found that TX in general is really overrated. Definitely a place for a short vacation or if work takes you there stay for a few years and get out. I can’t imagine planting permanent roots there.

Colorado is a very livable, comfortable state on all fronts - weather, taxes, amenities, etc. Definitely a better place to plant long term roots vs. Texas. I'm possibly moving back there in a few months myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 07:40 AM

1,822 posts, read 1,986,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely40 View Post
lived in Denver most of my life before moving to Dallas 4 years ago...Colorado is a very livable, comfortable state on all fronts - weather, taxes, amenities, etc. Definitely a better place to plant long term roots vs. Texas.
Well, I've had the exact opposite experience. Really, it all boils down to where one grows up and has lived most of his or her life. That will be the place that will seem normal and enjoyable, and where a person will be drawn to. Being critical of other locations is ultimately personal. It's humorous to read the many comments on this forum where preferences are used like stone cold facts. It's like arguing over food and saying broccoli is 'good' and squash is 'bad'. It all depends on tastes and preferences.

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 04-29-2016 at 07:53 AM..

Old 04-29-2016, 09:31 AM

286 posts, read 349,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig2 View Post
Well, I've had the exact opposite experience. Really, it all boils down to where one grows up and has lived most of his or her life. That will be the place that will seem normal and enjoyable, and where a person will be drawn to. Being critical of other locations is ultimately personal. It's humorous to read the many comments on this forum where preferences are used like stone cold facts. It's like arguing over food and saying broccoli is 'good' and squash is 'bad'. It all depends on tastes and preferences.
True. As with many things, what you prefer is determined by some some ranking of "good" things, where some good things rank higher than others. Those who like a lower COL with lots of housing options will (at this time) prefer Texas over Colorado. Those who prefer easy access to mountain-based outdoor activities will take CO over TX. Those who want more ethnic diversity will likely choose TX over CO. Those who prefer a more liberal political posture will probably choose CO (and only certain parts of CO at that).

Old 04-29-2016, 09:52 AM

5,843 posts, read 6,125,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philberf View Post
True. As with many things, what you prefer is determined by some some ranking of "good" things, where some good things rank higher than others. Those who like a lower COL with lots of housing options will (at this time) prefer Texas over Colorado. Those who prefer easy access to mountain-based outdoor activities will take CO over TX. Those who want more ethnic diversity will likely choose TX over CO. Those who prefer a more liberal political posture will probably choose CO (and only certain parts of CO at that).
I agree that it's all about balance. There is no perfect place. Personally, as someone who lived recently in Colorado and is now back in Texas, I think you can find all of the same "good" things in varying degrees in both locations. I certainly have. High and Low COL areas, outdoor activities (albeit it different ones), diversity etc. Both are great places and I am happy to have lived in both.

Except the bug and humidity thing.....CO wins that battle hands down and I haven't had a good hair day in Houston since moving back here last summer. Oh well.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:57 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,119,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
I agree that it's all about balance. There is no perfect place. Personally, as someone who lived recently in Colorado and is now back in Texas, I think you can find all of the same "good" things in varying degrees in both locations. I certainly have. High and Low COL areas, outdoor activities (albeit it different ones), diversity etc. Both are great places and I am happy to have lived in both.

Except the bug and humidity thing.....CO wins that battle hands down and I haven't had a good hair day in Houston since moving back here last summer. Oh well.
Well, you can't dock your boat in your driveway in Denver as you can in Houston lol! (Hopefully you haven't been flooded out!)

Old 04-29-2016, 10:32 AM

1,822 posts, read 1,986,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Well, you can't dock your boat in your driveway in Denver as you can in Houston lol! (Hopefully you haven't been flooded out!)
I know six different families in various places around Houston, and none were impacted by the recent rains and flooding. As usual, it's easy to get the wrong idea about a place when it is over a thousand miles away, and when modern media does a poor job of portraying matters accurately.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig2 View Post
I know six different families in various places around Houston, and none were impacted by the recent rains and flooding. As usual, it's easy to get the wrong idea about a place when it is over a thousand miles away, and when modern media does a poor job of portraying matters accurately.
Oh, I know! I recently had a friend in Houston post pictures of flooding in his particular neighborhood where homes were flooded, but his wasn't.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:05 AM

5,843 posts, read 6,125,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Plan on taking the boat out very soon before more rain hits this afternoon This sort of thing happens in Houston routinely. The city is only 50 feet above sea level and downtown is 50 miles from the ocean, therein lies the problem. Houston actually manages large amounts of water fairly well because of an extensive bayou and creek system in the metro area. It's when those go over their banks that a lot of flooding happens.

We don't have to worry about flooding like this, it all goes into the Lake and Bay. We'll only have to worry about storm surge and wind damage from a hurricane.....and that's a risk for sure.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Plan on taking the boat out very soon before more rain hits this afternoon This sort of thing happens in Houston routinely. The city is only 50 feet above sea level and downtown is 50 miles from the ocean, therein lies the problem. Houston actually manages large amounts of water fairly well because of an extensive bayou and creek system in the metro area. It's when those go over their banks that a lot of flooding happens.

We don't have to worry about flooding like this, it all goes into the Lake and Bay. We'll only have to worry about storm surge and wind damage from a hurricane.....and that's a risk for sure.
I've been to Houston and thought, this place looks like a flood waiting to happen!

Old 04-29-2016, 01:57 PM

286 posts, read 349,084 times
It does have a very high water table and the ambient humidity does mean water evaporates slowly. That said, things also grow there very easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver