Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 04:30 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,185,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Thats sad if people from different countries first think of marijuana when you mention CO. It's time all states legalize it so the stigma goes away here.
No, they were both American, as were the majority of the other people we encountered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 06:19 AM

7 posts, read 5,882 times
I'm in Texas, always have been, and there's a high possibility that I'll be moving to Denver due to a promotion. I honestly can't get out of Texas soon enough.
I'm a native Texan so I'm "allowed" to say this--I don't get the Texas pride thing. I understand the history of this state and it was a tough road to get to the US. That's something to be proud of. But I don't think it's the greatest state ever. It's a state and personally, I think the weather and sprawling nature of the place, sucks. If you think sprawling means scenic drives, no. It means a lot of stuff between you and the grocery store. DFW has it's own weather due to all of the concrete.

I've lived in West Texas... west Texas as in, north of Big Bend though people from Abilene will tell you they're in west Texas. ... and in the DFW area.
The two areas are night and day however, if you don't fit that particular style that's popular there, then you're kinda screwed. Both places have been very narrow minded.

West Texas is ranching. So if you aren't into that, had/have family in that, work in that, or are native to the area, then you're certainly an outsider. I had just graduated highschool when I went out there and the only other thing to do was drinking which I'm not into. I got depressed out there, honestly. Lots of privately owned land so it's a two hour drive plus park entry fees to find somewhere you can hike. At the time, I was pretty broke because I was paying my way through college so I couldn't be driving around constantly. And work with decent pay was hard to come by. Being broke probably taints my view on things out there, but I remember being really bored while living out there and feeling very much the outsider.
But the weather was better and those desert storms were a sight!

DFW area, oh Lord. It's a little better on "things to do" but it's mainly geared towards shopping and eating, I think, because of the weather. The winter is mild but it seems like you get about 4 months out of the year that are actually nice. The summers are hot and humid and just flat oppressive. A high settles over us for months and there's no wind. Just a constant beating of heat and humidity, day and night. No matter what time of day, you walk outside an immediately start sweating. If you go fishing at 6am, you're sweating. If you drive with the windows down, it's like driving in a blow dryer. From May-June to October, it's no fun to be outside and gets to be dangerous. Sweat doesn't evaporate and cool you down. The shade is no help. Nighttime isn't any better. You just have to stay in air conditioning to feel comfortable.

We get some cold fronts that feel nice and then spring starts and the humidity and severe weather is here. It was in the seventies yesterday and it still felt sticky outside. You turn on the AC just to dry up the air inside. Last night, we were worried about baseball sized hail for the third time this month (and this is between severe storms with tornadoes and high winds). There's an entire city that suffered severe hail damage and another bad storm came through causing even more damage before they could get it fixed. So now they're paying another deductible for major home repairs.
Lots of privately owned land, so hikes and trails are limited to parks which most are small and urban. It's flat and suburban in most of the area. Roads are not safe for cyclists. Sidewalks are hit and miss so walking isn't safe. And if you walk somewhere, your shirt is drenched with sweat when you get there.

So now you start to understand why obesity is more of a problem in Texas than somewhere like Colorado.

Mosquitoes and gnats are pretty bad. They spray down entire cities with pesticides to control the mosquitoes. Yeah, including you. They say it's safe. SMH.

Just about all of our major freeways are under significant construction and traffic is just horrible. It has taken two hours to get home when it only takes 30 minutes on the weekend. Toll roads are popping up everywhere and they're successful because traffic is so bad. You have to do something when commuting is a part time job. And even now, traffic on the weekend is getting bad because of the construction since they shut down even more lanes.

As you can tell, I am not happy here.

I know I'm probably looking at things through rose colored glasses, but I can't wait to get out of here. I visited my aunt in California. It was 97 outside but still felt good. If you got hot, you could jump in the shade. You could enjoy breakfast or dinner outside and be comfortable. You could still do things outside without feeling miserable because you had time in the mornings and evenings where it would cool off a tad.

For me, the increased cost in housing is simply the cost of a better quality of life. I enjoy being outside. I like to connect with nature. I'm not into shopping (which if you're a woman in DFW and aren't into shopping, you're looked at like something is wrong with you), drinking, etc. So while living here is cheaper, personally my quality of life suffers.

I hope other states will have me because I'm looking to get out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmimi View Post
PS my husbands job opportunity is in Grapevine and we are looking at living on north Fort Worth in new developments there...

I'm near Grapevine. Check out Southlake, Westlake, Colleyville, Trophy Club, Roanoke, Argyle, Keller, Flower Mound.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:33 AM

43 posts, read 35,184 times
Sammie: Great post. So true. Lived in the area for six months. Never again.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:55 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,001,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie1002 View Post
I'm in Texas, always have been, and there's a high possibility that I'll be moving to Denver due to a promotion. I honestly can't get out of Texas soon enough
Sammie1002 - Your post sounds exactly like me 4 years ago. I was a life-long Texas resident (though I refused to call myself a Texan), and slammed and bashed the state left and right in the months leading up to me leaving. Fast-forward 4 years later, and that time in Colorado, and I can't wait to get back. I now see that the negatives there really aren't so significant; I just made them significant in my mind and exaggerated them. I also overlooked the many benefits of the state, which I took for granted having never lived anywhere else. On the CO side, my fantasizing of this state - much based on glowing comments on this forum - has not been matched by reality. If you move here, you'll probably always be considered an outsider, and be seen as different (even inferior). And that comes with even not having an accent, or dressing anything Texan-like, or ever mentioning that you are from TX. There's enough deep down that people will notice as different (i.e. non-Coloradan) and not like. The same goes for persons from other regions too, as I've picked up on. The cost of living here will be more in every category compared to where you are now, and at the same time, pay/income might be much worse. At least that's what I've encountered. You might also miss the deeps greens, densely wooded areas, and abundant lakes of your current state. You can get more out of summer there, while winter is more prominent here.

There is so much to relocation that you won't realize until you actually move, especially if it's a major regional/cultural change. I can understand the urge to move, but be careful of your new destination. Message me directly if you want more specific information and details.

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 04-27-2016 at 08:38 AM..

Old 04-27-2016, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig2 View Post
Sammie1002 - Your post sounds exactly like me 4 years ago. I was a life-long Texas resident (though I refused to call myself a Texan), and slammed and bashed the state left and right in the months leading up to me leaving. Fast-forward 4 years later, and that time in Colorado, and I can't wait to get back. I now see that the negatives there really aren't so significant; I just made them significant in my mind and exaggerated them. I also overlooked the many benefits of the state, which I took for granted having never lived anywhere else. On the CO side, my fantasizing of this state - much based on glowing comments on this forum - has not been matched by reality. If you move here, you'll probably always be considered an outsider, and be seen as different (even inferior). And that comes with even not having an accent, or dressing anything Texan-like, or ever mentioning that you are from TX. There's enough deep down that people will notice as different (i.e. non-Coloradan) and not like. The same goes for persons from other regions too, as I've picked up on. The cost of living here will be more in every category compared to where you are now, and at the same time, pay/income might be much worse. At least that's what I've encountered. You might also miss the deeps greens, densely wooded areas, and abundant lakes of your current state. You can get more out of summer there, while winter is more prominent here.

There is so much to relocation that you won't realize until you actually move, especially if it's a major regional/cultural change. I can understand the urge to move, but be careful of your new destination. Message me directly if you want more specific information and details.

I'm aware that I'm likely overlooking things. This position is for a year or two then it's off to another place (maybe still in Colorado, maybe somewhere else, maybe back to Texas even). They pay for the move and do take salary in account for higher cost of living. I'll still need to make some adjustments but I've got a better deal than what most people moving would.
Though I mentioned feeling like an outsider, I'm okay with that. I'm an outsider here in DFW even though I'm a native. I'm used to it. Being bored out of my mind is what depresses me.

I'm looking at it like this-
If I'm taking something about Texas for granted, it'll become apparent and I'll learn to appreciate it and work my way back if it's that important.
If I do find I'm happier somewhere else, then I'll be somewhere else and happier.

But I certainly feel like I really need to live somewhere else either to appreciate where I am now or because I really do need to get out. I need to experience something else.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:01 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
I'm aware that I'm likely overlooking things. This position is for a year or two then it's off to another place (maybe still in Colorado, maybe somewhere else, maybe back to Texas even). They pay for the move and do take salary in account for higher cost of living. I'll still need to make some adjustments but I've got a better deal than what most people moving would.

I'm looking at it like this-
If I'm taking something about Texas for granted, it'll become apparent and I'll learn to appreciate it and work my way back if it's that important.
If I do find I'm happier somewhere else, then I'll be somewhere else and happier.

But I certainly feel like I really need to live somewhere else either to appreciate where I am now or because I really do need to get out. I need to experience something else.
I think it's a good thing to live somewhere different from where you were born/raised. Gives you a new perspective, and it can be fun. I've lived in 4 different states (that were in the Midwest/South/West/West Coast) and in Europe. And all were very different climates. I can't imagine living my entire life where I was born.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:02 AM

204 posts, read 201,870 times
Sammie1002: Your thoughts about Texas sound very much like mine. I moved from the north to Houston because I had family there and because I wanted better weather to ride my motorcycle all year. I had no idea I would hate the heat and humidity so bad. I started coming to DEN for work on a weekly basis in August of last year to help them out. When a job opened at my company, I applied and made the move at the end of December. My wife made the move near the end of March. We both wanted out of the heat, out of Houston, and both love mountains and the activities they provide. We are loving our jobs and loving living here. I figured we'd hit the mountains maybe once a month, trying to be realistic. We have been into the mountains for leisure activities four weekends in a row now and it was all spontaneous. Last weekend we rode our motorcycles into the mountains on a two hour round trip and were laughing like kids because it was so much fun and so close to home. Back in Texas, a two hour round trip would take us to the other side of Houston just to go shopping or eat.

To me it doesn't compare, but I can certainly understand that shopping, dining, or being near the gulf mean more to other people than the mountains. My mother is in Houston and loves it there. It's just not for us.

Sunderpig2: I have not been here long, but so far I have not experienced anything like what you have. I do not understand why you would be considered an outsider when so many people are moving here from outside. Maybe it just happens to be where you work. I will say that my wife interviewed at a place where she said everybody was really weird and seemed to be standoffish. I assumed it was because she's incredibly intelligent and very friendly and they were maybe threatened by her. I work for a large company with offices worldwide, so I think they are used to "outsiders." As far as COL and pay, yes housing has been quite a kick in the pants. I make a lot more here and love my job. My wife makes just a hair less than in Texas, but is really loving her job too. We shall see how it goes. I have no desire to move back to Texas, but I am open to other relocation possibilities.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I think it's a good thing to live somewhere different from where you were born/raised. Gives you a new perspective, and it can be fun. I've lived in 4 different states (that were in the Midwest/South/West/West Coast) and in Europe. And all were very different climates. I can't imagine living my entire life where I was born.

I think that's a big part of it. I feel like I've been in a fish bowl. I was in west Texas for only a year. The rest of my more than 35 years on this earth has been in DFW. There's lots of positives which may or may not be great positives for people. The economy is great. If you're into the night life, it's great. If you like to wine and dine and shop, it's great.

If you aren't into that, you'll probably want out because you're bored and won't have much in common with people. Keeping up with the Jones is a serious problem here.

In a year, I may be saying I'm sick of snow. Who knows. The experience is what I want. I don't know what I would prefer because I only know one thing. At least if I go to Denver and hate it, I'll know that it's not for me. At least if I go where it really does snow and hate it, I'll know that (but I do love skiing and playing in the snow though).
I like Texas for its freedoms and economy and I've always been able to support myself financially, but I'm also tired of the same ol thing year after year of wanting to go outside, camp, explore trails, kayak down a river, go for a bike ride, sailing, etc and it being such an ordeal to get where you can or to do so safely. Or having to wait months and months before it's safe to be outside due to the temps, humidity and frequent air quality alerts.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC View Post
Sammie1002: Your thoughts about Texas sound very much like mine. I moved from the north to Houston because I had family there and because I wanted better weather to ride my motorcycle all year. I had no idea I would hate the heat and humidity so bad. I started coming to DEN for work on a weekly basis in August of last year to help them out. When a job opened at my company, I applied and made the move at the end of December. My wife made the move near the end of March. We both wanted out of the heat, out of Houston, and both love mountains and the activities they provide. We are loving our jobs and loving living here. I figured we'd hit the mountains maybe once a month, trying to be realistic. We have been into the mountains for leisure activities four weekends in a row now and it was all spontaneous. Last weekend we rode our motorcycles into the mountains on a two hour round trip and were laughing like kids because it was so much fun and so close to home. Back in Texas, a two hour round trip would take us to the other side of Houston just to go shopping or eat.

To me it doesn't compare, but I can certainly understand that shopping, dining, or being near the gulf mean more to other people than the mountains. My mother is in Houston and loves it there. It's just not for us.

Sunderpig2: I have not been here long, but so far I have not experienced anything like what you have. I do not understand why you would be considered an outsider when so many people are moving here from outside. Maybe it just happens to be where you work. I will say that my wife interviewed at a place where she said everybody was really weird and seemed to be standoffish. I assumed it was because she's incredibly intelligent and very friendly and they were maybe threatened by her. I work for a large company with offices worldwide, so I think they are used to "outsiders." As far as COL and pay, yes housing has been quite a kick in the pants. I make a lot more here and love my job. My wife makes just a hair less than in Texas, but is really loving her job too. We shall see how it goes. I have no desire to move back to Texas, but I am open to other relocation possibilities.

Both my husband and I ride motorcycles. Is it a year round riding season there?

Old 04-27-2016, 09:35 AM

204 posts, read 201,870 times
Quote:
Both my husband and I ride motorcycles. Is it a year round riding season there?
Excellent!
I haven't been in DEN long enough to really know, but somebody I work with rides and she says the weather is decent enough that they get at least one ride in every month. I used to ride a lot and have more than one bike, one with over 100K miles on it, but in the last couple of years I've only put about 6K miles on my bike because I was so board riding in Texas...and again the heat. Here in DEN, I'm thinking quality over quantity. We've sold 6 or 7 bikes in the last couple of years. We have a toy hauler, enclosed cargo trailer, and 4 bikes left. I was giving serious consideration to selling it all until our ride last weekend. We have helmet communicators (best bike purchase ever) and we really were laughing like a couple of school kids because we were having so much fun. Come on up and ride!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver