U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you use the commuter rail to DIA?
Yes 56 67.47%
No 24 28.92%
There's a train to the airport? 3 3.61%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 05:45 PM

473 posts, read 694,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The three block walk from the commuter rail platform to the light rail platform at Union Station will make the airport a no go for a lot of people. Mobility issues, families, weather, long trips with lots of luggage etc. Also the light rail isn't designed for luggage so people will find it sucks if they have to use it to Union Station.
I've taken the light rail with luggage, it's really no big deal. There's space next to you, and if it's busy I stand as not to hog seats.

I read a few comments in the Denver Post article about how unfeasible it is to walk .5 miles to the light rail station, or how unweildy it is to schlep a bag from one train to another - and just think about how people (tourists mostly) all over the world do that exact thing in every big city on the planet. People walk, navigate escalators, trains and busses with bags and don't even give it a second thought.

Also - it doesn't have to be one or the other. When going from city to airport I do a quick cost versus time calculation, and make the appropriate choice. If I have an early flight out of Chicago and it's Sunday morning I'll take an Uber. If it's weekday traffic I'll take the El. Bangkok has a speedy train into the center commercial district which I've used, but if it's late at night I grab a taxi straight to a hotel.

In Denver when I need to be as expeditious as possible (but not spring for the $13 economy lot) I park at Canopy, but between parking, riding the shuttle (with terrible suspension) down Tower and Pena, then waiting for a pickup back, it eats up quite a bit of time. Same for the other shuttle lots. Having a train arrive at the south end of the terminal, one escalator ride up to PreCheck, sounds pretty good to me.

It's totally understandable a large family traveling for less than a week would be better off driving and paying off-site parking. But it doesn't negate it's use for others. And, one or two people from that family might do better taking an Uber to Union Station to grab the train (as not to fight traffic or make a family member do an airport run.) Living just east of downtown I'll use the train often, but if it's a rainstorm I may just drive the full way and park in the garage. The more options the better.

Even if you don't use it, or only use it occasionally, it's an excellent resource for the city to have. I don't get why people that complain that it's completely useless and it only services urban dinks and hipsters. I never use the suburban trails in the far flung exurbs, but I'm happy they're there for the people that live there.

Last edited by jamesdenver; 04-18-2016 at 06:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 06:36 PM

949 posts, read 1,257,481 times
If I don't use it to go to the airport, I'll use it to go downtown and avoid riding the bus.

Old 04-18-2016, 06:39 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,822,629 times
Probably not, however, when someone visits me from out of town, I'd have them take the train to Union Station and I'd pick them up there, rather than picking them up at the airport.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:09 PM

330 posts, read 347,093 times
I'm happy to have the train as an option to get to/from DEN. I have friends/neighbors who'd be happy to drop me off at our local light rail station - and pick me up from there. But I'd hesitate to ask most of them for a ride to/from the airport, which *is* a much loooonnger trip, and a lot to ask.

I'm no longer young, and not as strong as I used to be, but still basically healthy. My typical trip, especially foreign travel, involves me schlepping my bags on blocks-long walks, on and off trains and planes, and in and out of hotels. I don't see taking a light rail trip with a rolling bag, or a bit of a walk at Union Station, as a big deal for me.

As I said, I love that the train adds another option. If I land at DEN dog-tired, I might take the A train to Union Station and Uber home from there instead of doing the light rail leg after that.

Old 04-19-2016, 12:25 PM

14,174 posts, read 23,234,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alloo66 View Post
If I don't use it to go to the airport, I'll use it to go downtown and avoid riding the bus.
I would too (from the Stapleton station), but if it's $9 roundtrip to go from Stapleton to Union Station (my assumption here since all I've heard is that you must buy a $9 day pass to use this train), then it might not make sense. If the four of us did this, (2 kids are half price), then it would cost us $27 to go downtown for the evening. You can definitely park for 3 hours downtown cheaper than that.

Edit: I just looked it up on RTD's website and it looks like from Stapleton to Union Station is $2.60 one way. So if our kids are half price, then a family of 4 round trip would be $15.60 for our family. That's better, but still, it's only $7 to park at the Pavillions on the weekend.

Last edited by denverian; 04-19-2016 at 12:33 PM..

Old 04-20-2016, 10:46 AM

21,047 posts, read 11,676,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I would too (from the Stapleton station), but if it's $9 roundtrip to go from Stapleton to Union Station (my assumption here since all I've heard is that you must buy a $9 day pass to use this train), then it might not make sense. If the four of us did this, (2 kids are half price), then it would cost us $27 to go downtown for the evening. You can definitely park for 3 hours downtown cheaper than that.

Edit: I just looked it up on RTD's website and it looks like from Stapleton to Union Station is $2.60 one way. So if our kids are half price, then a family of 4 round trip would be $15.60 for our family. That's better, but still, it's only $7 to park at the Pavillions on the weekend.
I don't know how old your kids are and they may be past this phase, but don't underestimate the entertainment value of a train ride!

Old 04-20-2016, 10:52 AM

919 posts, read 985,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I don't know how old your kids are and they may be past this phase, but don't underestimate the entertainment value of a train ride!
That's one thing I'm looking forward to. My son loves trains and taking him to Union Station is going to be a blast for him!

It's not going to be cheaper than parking at the Pavillions (which is probably a loss-leader incentive to get people to the shopping center), but it certainly will be competitive given traffic, lost-time looking for parking, convenience, etc. It really starts to shine if you work downtown and don't want to pay for monthly parking.

Old 04-20-2016, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
That's one thing I'm looking forward to. My son loves trains and taking him to Union Station is going to be a blast for him!

It's not going to be cheaper than parking at the Pavillions (which is probably a loss-leader incentive to get people to the shopping center), but it certainly will be competitive given traffic, lost-time looking for parking, convenience, etc. It really starts to shine if you work downtown and don't want to pay for monthly parking.
Yes, parking for work downtown makes this worth it for sure. For something like a Rockies game, taking the train would be worth it.

Old 04-20-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
They're 8 year old boys, so the train is a huge entertainment for them

Old 04-20-2016, 11:30 AM

21,047 posts, read 11,676,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
They're 8 year old boys, so the train is a huge entertainment for them

My 11 year old is still young enough to be excited that we are soon going to be living in a construction zone again. We had that at our hold house when he was 3-4, which was perfect, but even since then, it's been fun for him. Now he will be able to hang out on the front porch and watch.

I should get him a couple of rolls of pennies, he loved throwing coins into our place as it was being built, and I bet he'd like to do the same for our someday neighbors.

anyway back on topic, I'm definitely planning on trying the train for a Rockies game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or