U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 11:25 PM

191 posts, read 134,516 times

Advertisements

Denver may be America's newest, favoritist city, but there's something foul in the air here. And no, this is not a 4/20 post, though that happens to be today's date.

A survey by the American Lung Association just scored the Denver metro area at no. 8 on the list of worst ozone pollution. We trailed six Southern California areas and Phoenix, showing once again that this is a Sunbelt problem. Denver's air was less than half as bad as California's worst, measured in ozone alert days.

The worst ozone problem in Colorado occurs in Jefferson County, where I live. On summer days, high-level westerly west winds overhead create a breeze out of the east, sort of like an eddy in a stream. That picks up pollutants from a 600-square-mile metro area and pushes them against the 1200' foothills of the mountains, where they bake in the strong sun and concentrate further. The result: Jefferson County had 103 days per year when some level or ozone alert is called; Denver had 23.

None of this is intuitively obvious. A visitor or immigrant would never notice. When I moved out of downtown Denver 15 years ago, I didn't expect to face four times the ozone alerts out in the suburbs, but that's what happened. I've always loved the western suburbs of Denver above all others, for their central location, mountain access, lower traffic and density. But maybe I've been making a mistake. Yes, I have asthma, and reduced lung function. This could be one reason why. All I can do is share what I know, and, unfortunately, I learned this something today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 07:31 AM

2,514 posts, read 3,484,923 times
Very interesting! I to would have thought the air would be better as I always think the prevailing winds are from the west as opposed to headed toward the west.

Do you have a link for the details you provided? I would like to read more.

Old 04-21-2016, 08:59 AM

13,941 posts, read 20,179,537 times
I hope you realize that Colorado | American Lung Association has a HUGE agenda here. They want to raise money.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:10 AM

201 posts, read 460,628 times
Really, Dave Barnes? Your implication is that the data is false, or biased, because they want to raise money? Can you provide some evidence of this?

I live on Lookout Mtn, which is Jeffco but provides a downslope view of the murky brown cloud that often hangs over the city. I was hopeful that the air up here (a couple of thousand feet higher than Denver) is cleaner, but maybe I have been fooling myself. I have noticed an uptick in my mild asthma lately.

I'll console myself that it is all just "propaganda" from the American Lung Association. Sheesh.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:41 AM

123 posts, read 133,566 times
Agree with you, Nele -- I can see the cloud when I drive into Denver on the 36. I have also had trouble breathing since I arrived so maybe it is not just the altitude.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:08 AM

5,303 posts, read 2,750,156 times
You must not have been in the Denver area in the 80s. Smog so bad that, from Sixth and Union at Green Mountain, my coworkers and I sometimes could not even see Denver AT ALL. It was completely Brown Clouded. At that time, the Brown Cloud crept to Sheridan. Later, population growth and traffic expanded the smog all the way INTO the foothills. On a few days, we even noticed it almost to Conifer.

This is no surprise whatsoever given the huge growth bubble.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nele View Post
I'll console myself that it is all just "propaganda" from the American Lung Association.
http://centerforregulatorysolutions....ators-experts/
https://fee.org/articles/the-state-o...a-not-science/

Old 04-21-2016, 02:03 PM

3,174 posts, read 2,617,352 times
Coming from CO Springs, that was one noticeable difference, the brown cloud... CO Springs never has that. It was really noticeable for me once you hit I-25 and 6th. The geography, the bowl shape, plays a part.

Old 04-21-2016, 03:09 PM

201 posts, read 460,628 times
The "Center for Regulatory Solutions" is a member of ALEC, funded by Koch bros. I didn't bother to look at your other link. Know your sources.

Old 04-21-2016, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nele View Post
The "Center for Regulatory Solutions" is a member of ALEC, funded by Koch bros. I didn't bother to look at your other link. Know your sources.
I do know my sources. I hate ALEC.
The references in the articles are worth looking at.
Both sides are exaggerating to make their points.

I have a problem with giving Denver an F.
Is Denver's air quality equal to Houston? Don't think so.

Last edited by davebarnes; 04-21-2016 at 07:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or