Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 01:52 PM

3,407 posts, read 4,627,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about and comparing costs on other projects that are not remotely similar makes zero sense.

And not that it matters, but $500 million in 1990 dollars is equivalent to about $950 million in 2016 dollars.
They are similar projects, ripping out viaducts, digging them out like a trench and putting a lid over the freeways. The same construction costs if done today wouldn't be much more if you factor inflation. CDOT just likes to wither money away at the expense of tax payers like leaves off trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 01:54 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Comparing the I-70 viaduct project, why is the project costing $1.2 billion?

Klyde Warren Park in Dallas was a total $58 million for the park construction. $20 millon of it was from private funds, another $20 million in bonds and another $16.7 million in taxes. Finished in 2009.

Papago freeway in Phoenix when completed costs $500 million in 1990.

CDOT needs to widen I-76 and I-270 to 12 lanes similar to Superstition Fwy in Phoenix. Forget about the viaduct project.
To be fair, the section of Woodall Rodgers Freeway that lies underneath Klyde Warren Park was already below grade and has been for years. The Klyde Warren project mostly consisted of putting the concrete lid on the road.

FWIW, I think deck parks are silly. They're about as "natural" as the guy who puts fake grass and a couple token trees in his backyard.

Old 04-25-2016, 02:13 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times
Quote:
They are similar projects, ripping out viaducts, digging them out like a trench and putting a lid over the freeways. The same construction costs if done today wouldn't be much more if you factor inflation. CDOT just likes to wither money away at the expense of tax payers like leaves off trees.
Are you summoning on your vast experience costing major infrastructure projects to come up with this conclusion or do you just feel like it should be this way so it must be this way? What research have you done? Which experts have you spoken with? Have you evaluated labor rates and real estate costs on both projects? Where is your data?

I'll say it again, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Old 04-25-2016, 02:56 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,611,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Are you summoning on your vast experience costing major infrastructure projects to come up with this conclusion or do you just feel like it should be this way so it must be this way? What research have you done? Which experts have you spoken with? Have you evaluated labor rates and real estate costs on both projects? Where is your data?

I'll say it again, you have no idea what you're talking about.
He did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

Old 04-25-2016, 03:05 PM

977 posts, read 1,327,585 times
Quote:
They actually would. If you use the Turner Construction Index (Non-residential building construction) to adjust the costs for the projects you mentioned they end up being quite expensive. For instance, the Papago Freeway Tunnel project would cost $1.07B today (versus $500M in 1990) That's for a half-mile long highway deck and the approaches.

If one was to adjust the T-REX expansion of I-25 for 2015, the project would cost $1.26B for the highway portion (versus $795M in 2000). That's for 19 miles of highway with a pre-existing sunken portion of 2.5 miles.

In comparison, the I-70 redo constitutes sinking the highway below-grade for a mile and a half, adding a quarter mile long deck, and expanding the roadway for another 6 miles or so. You're also going over or under a railyard and a couple of spurs that I'm guessing you just can't shut down during construction. Oh, and ripping out an elevated viaduct. Goddamn bargain right there.

Last edited by wong21fr; 04-25-2016 at 03:40 PM..

Old 04-26-2016, 06:49 AM

3 posts, read 2,178 times
I heard it was the next up and coming neighborhood!!

Old 04-26-2016, 08:17 AM

618 posts, read 1,365,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlane425 View Post
A few outlets, including this Business Insider article - Hottest neighborhoods in major US cities - Business Insider, have been touting Barnum as the next up and coming neighborhood for Denver. Here's a better look at the Barnum neighborhood - Barnum Dodges Brunt of Denver Boom, with Mixed Results.

Old 04-26-2016, 08:42 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
well, as you can see, Globeville has some significant structural issues that make it questionable whether it's going to take off as a hot neighborhood anytime soon. If that's your primary rationale, there are other options that are probably a better bet, including as Augie Daugie said, Barnum.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:09 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,611,363 times
Quote:
I had never heard of it until you started this thread.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:24 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
After hearing all of this, I'm going to start my own lobby to leave I-76 alone. Leave I-76 alone. It is fine. Do not ruin it for me.

I-70 is fine through Globeville. Fix it, rip it out, put in a new one, put it at street level, bury it, float it, eliminate it, whatever. We don't need toll lanes along it, heck, as it stands right now, we could put in two more lanes through the mousetrap (in each direction, there are unnecessary left side shoulders in each direction).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver