U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 09:27 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,240,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Ski View Post
If you fit the "template", this is one of the best cities for dating in my opinion.

If you are into camping, skiing, and beer, and want someone who likes the same, this is your ideal spot. It's more outgoing than Seattle or Portland. You can still go to a random bar on a weeknight and strike up a conversation with strangers...try doing that in Seattle or Portland.

As a gay male, this has been my favorite dating spot. I'm not a hipster, but I do have a beard, and like beer and beards. And I spend every weekend skiing or camping, so it's been pretty great so far. I would never have been able to find someone to go on a 2 night, 15 mile, snowshoe backpack trip as a date back home.
I found my husband in Denver 20 years ago I think for gay men, you find more "down to earth" types here, which appealed to me. I never went for the "dressed for every occasion/high maintenance" type of gay man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 09:33 AM

760 posts, read 584,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I found my husband in Denver 20 years ago I think for gay men, you find more "down to earth" types here, which appealed to me. I never went for the "dressed for every occasion/high maintenance" type of gay man.
It is slowly changing though.

I was at one of the bars, and a group of guys were complaining about how there are no gay gyms here like there are back in LA...I don't know why you would need a gay gym, but I guess there is a market for it somewhere.

Denver always appealed to me because there wasn't a gay scene bubble. In large cities, gays tend to isolate themselves in certain neighborhoods. It's just too much drama for me to handle and I needed to get out of that culture. It's nice to just be a normal guy here. I can befriend anyone, and do any activity, without it being a "gay" specific activity.

Old 05-04-2016, 01:12 PM

14,174 posts, read 23,240,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Ski View Post
It is slowly changing though.

I was at one of the bars, and a group of guys were complaining about how there are no gay gyms here like there are back in LA...I don't know why you would need a gay gym, but I guess there is a market for it somewhere.

Denver always appealed to me because there wasn't a gay scene bubble. In large cities, gays tend to isolate themselves in certain neighborhoods. It's just too much drama for me to handle and I needed to get out of that culture. It's nice to just be a normal guy here. I can befriend anyone, and do any activity, without it being a "gay" specific activity.
Wait... you mean all that eye candy at 24 Hr. Fitness isn't gay?

Actually, the one (or now there are two) in Glendale are pretty gay. But not specifically.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:07 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,865,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
I lived in both Seattle and Denver.

If you're looking for a clean cut, professional, business type man you'll be disappointed in both cities.

In Denver be prepared to see lots of: hipsters, potheads, meatheads, ski bums, bums, 30 year-olds still not knowing what to do with their lives, and lots of beards beards BEARDS!

Seattle: hipsters, potheads, outdoorsmen/mountainmen living in a tent (literally), socially retarded "introverts", and even more socially retarted computer geeks. I did not know what socially awkward truly meant until I moved to Seattle! Oh yeah - and beards.

I would recommend Houston, Austin, Chicago, San Diego/LA for a much better dating environment (for both genders).
Agree on Seattle. Haven't actually lived and dated in Denver yet, but I've read complaints from women online that say Denver is just a playground for eternal bachelors who don't want girlfriends or wives. Makes sense. Denver is like the NYC for male Carrie Bradshaws - it's all about living the single life forever and embodying an image.

Male:female ratios don't really help you if you don't embody the image of a given area (which in Seattle's case is either outdoors lover or IT geek). People give too much credibility to statistics like that.

For someone who is mostly interested in marriage & kids, I would suggest staying away from western cities whose main appeal is recreation or tourism. They are better for rich people who are already married. They make great retirement destinations, but not great young people destinations.

Chicago is my first recommendation. Crappy weather and not a lot of great scenery but that's why people move there for work and friends. A lot less chaotic than NYC or DC but still a lot of white collar professionals.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:31 PM

491 posts, read 617,179 times
Quote:
Wait... you mean all that eye candy at 24 Hr. Fitness isn't gay?

Actually, the one (or now there are two) in Glendale are pretty gay. But not specifically.
Another reason for me to avoid Menver

Old 05-05-2016, 05:11 PM

3,038 posts, read 1,782,012 times
There are more women than guys in downtown but more guys in the hoods.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:02 AM

57 posts, read 54,060 times
Thank you. That is helpful and I appreciate the link & to view the area by zip code.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I have to agree...definitely the worse place I have seen.

I'll just add anecdotal real-life experiences here...I fly for work to Virginia, NY, Los Angeles, San Fran and go to a bar I can instantly meet 2-3 single dateable women. Online is even more efficient in these locations with literally 5 girls ready for dates that night.

Here in Denver, I would be lucky to meet 1 woman in my age bracket (30-45) that is dateable and more than likely online it would require 2-3 weeks of "texting" and filtering before meeting a decent (fit/7-8 looks) girl for a physical date.

It's Menver indeed.
Thanks. I've actually spent most of my life in the Maryland/DC & Northern NJ/NYC areas & I do believe dating environment is much different in those areas, especially after 35. As a woman, I can definitely say it is much harder to find a quality guy than I sometimes think it is for men there to find quality women. Might just be my own impression but I've recently come across a few articles that say the same so I must not be too off. I now live in a small town out west where men truly outnumber women & it's very different than I'm use to. Unfortunately, I know I'm just not cut out to be a small town, country girl. I need a little of the hustle & bustle of the city, not to mention the conveniences so I'll be moving on from here soon & since I'm in a place in life where I'd be ready for a serious commitment I don't want to move somewhere where it just seems impossible to find. Maybe it's a place worth exploring. I appreciate the helpful input.

Old 05-06-2016, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Move to an apartment complex in Stapleton. Seems like so many of the heterosexual couples are getting divorced in their late 30s to mid 40s, and the divorced dads move to nearby apartments. And from what I've seen in my neighborhood, it's not typically a problem with the husbands. Seems to be that the wives suddenly go nuts. So there are probably decent, available men in the Stapleton apartment buildings. Only negative could be that they all have kids.
Thanks for the reply. If I were to move there, I'd be looking for a single family house. It's just what I am use to & what I prefer but I may also look at townhouses.

I have kids so kids are not an issue, although crazy ex-wives & men on the rebound might be Nonetheless, that is the reality of dating in the late 30s-40s. Most people by this point have gone through a marriage, a divorce & have kids it seems so I expect to run into that plenty. Got to wonder though why these wives are suddenly going nuts though!?

Old 05-06-2016, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I'm almost 40, with friends crossing a wide range of age groups. The only people I know who are really into the 420 scene have legitimate medical reasons for using it, like crippling arthritis or MS or combat-related PTSD, or they're in their 20s. There's gonna be a joint passed around at any party, but no one's getting super-stoned or using every day. Sometimes you'll catch a whiff of it in the street. The 420 situation is greatly exaggerated compared to reality, from what I can tell. And having lived across from a crackhouse my first few years here, I definitely prefer close proximity to the 420 scene, lol.

As for Menver, if you're under 50, it's very much true. But don't feel bad for the guys - they have breweries, distilleries, professional sports, amateur sport leagues, winter sports, concerts, the great outdoors, and any number of cultural events etc. to keep them occupied.
Thanks for your response too. I figured the 420 issue would be such- mainly medical use or in the younger crowds. I do worry about it from a parent point of view a little since I have a son who is only a few years from his teen years but in the end I know there's a lot that will factor into that, including my parenting.

I imagine the men there aren't terribly upset or they wouldn't stay right? I live now in a small town where men outnumber women & see the same thing. The men keep busy with extreme sports, the outdoors & the rest. I get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or