U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 10:14 AM

21,055 posts, read 11,676,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Interesting that they've been building modern style homes in Stapleton the past few years. I'm not sure who the builder is, maybe Wonderland, that has a line of smaller, modern homes. They kind of mimic elements of MCM. I wonder why no one has just flat out created a new MCM line of homes?? If they could figure out how to keep them warm in winter, anyway. Solar panels and in-floor heating w/double pane glass might be the way.
Yes, I think Wonderland is the builder for the modern ones. I've been inside a few and they are really nice - those double height ceilings may be a killer to heat but they do look pretty spectacular.

I think the lot sizes prevent a true MCM since they need more land unless they are small, and people expect a lot bigger house these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 11:01 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,237,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Yes, I think Wonderland is the builder for the modern ones. I've been inside a few and they are really nice - those double height ceilings may be a killer to heat but they do look pretty spectacular.

I think the lot sizes prevent a true MCM since they need more land unless they are small, and people expect a lot bigger house these days.

2266 NW Lakeside Pl | Arbor Builders: Bend Oregon Builders

Here's a new-build MCM in Oregon... not a bad try, but still missing something.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:09 AM

3,111 posts, read 4,889,513 times
I grew up in Harvey Park. The MCM houses are okay, but small, and that part of Harvey Park is not as nice as it is further west. The homes are near the Burns Brentwood neighborhood which is not great.

Today, the MCM blocks are very hit and miss in terms of the quality of the homes and upkeep. It is not a place I would spend nearly $400,000 to live.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:13 AM

21,055 posts, read 11,676,612 times
Quote:

That's a 1700 sq ft detached single family on a 5000 sq ft lot - which I don't think you can even find in Stapleton. It's about the same size as my paired house, and my lot size is half that size.

I completely agree with your assessment, though - not a bad try but missing something is a perfect description.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:25 AM

17,086 posts, read 9,818,525 times
Quote:

Looks like Richmond Home Builders tried mid-century. It doesn't work for me. The Harvey Park house?

Old 04-29-2016, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
I grew up in Harvey Park. The MCM houses are okay, but small, and that part of Harvey Park is not as nice as it is further west. The homes are near the Burns Brentwood neighborhood which is not great.

Today, the MCM blocks are very hit and miss in terms of the quality of the homes and upkeep. It is not a place I would spend nearly $400,000 to live.
I looked at street view and yeah, while the house for sale looks nice, a lot of those look rather run down.

Old 04-29-2016, 02:26 PM

2,514 posts, read 3,493,334 times
Have you looked at street view for your own neighborhood? Mine is from 2012. This one is from 2014. As fast as Denver is gentrifying I don't think the values are out of line for the condition of the house.

It has an open house this weekend. I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't under contract next week. Since these were cheap homes to begin with it probably takes a pretty penny to remodel them. But I think the result is worth it.

The other home in the neighborhood that is open this weekend is this one. Not a bad 1950s brick rancher but doesn't have the pizzazz of the Cliff May home.
2471 S Quitman Street, Denver, CO 80219 | MLS 7104254 | Listing Information

Old 04-29-2016, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
Have you looked at street view for your own neighborhood? Mine is from 2012. This one is from 2014. As fast as Denver is gentrifying I don't think the values are out of line for the condition of the house.

It has an open house this weekend. I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't under contract next week. Since these were cheap homes to begin with it probably takes a pretty penny to remodel them. But I think the result is worth it.

The other home in the neighborhood that is open this weekend is this one. Not a bad 1950s brick rancher but doesn't have the pizzazz of the Cliff May home.
2471 S Quitman Street, Denver, CO 80219 | MLS 7104254 | Listing Information
Oh, I don't think the price was bad. Just noticing that more houses in this neighborhood could use the same treatment the one for sale got

Old 04-30-2016, 12:35 AM

569 posts, read 1,046,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post

Some mid mod inspired homes are being built right now in Littleton - WILDER LANE - Homes.

Old 04-30-2016, 04:57 AM

13,967 posts, read 20,244,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie Daugie View Post
Some mid mod inspired homes are being built right now in Littleton - WILDER LANE - Homes.
For $1 million. Wow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver