U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 04:16 PM

5,166 posts, read 8,266,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurn View Post
Not to hijack, but what areas are considered "downwind" of Rocky Flats, other than Candelas?
Mainly southeast of the plant

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radioa...ky_Flats_Plant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 04:18 PM

13,918 posts, read 20,110,014 times
Default We are all going to die

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurn View Post
Not to hijack, but what areas are considered "downwind" of Rocky Flats
Denver, the entire City & County.

Old 05-11-2016, 02:32 PM

14,114 posts, read 20,782,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Denver, the entire City & County.

Just lovely...

Old 05-11-2016, 04:00 PM

2,071 posts, read 1,800,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daphadill View Post
Are there times when you can smell the landfill just to the west?
Also, any discussion about the concerns for that area are welcome!

)
I have some good friends that live in Leyden Rock. They love it. They don't smell the dump, but they do get blown trash a few times a year. Not bag fulls, just a few pieces.

It's been mentioned above, but what worries me about the neighborhood is that it's wedged between Rocky Flats, a dump, and a major highway.

Old 05-11-2016, 04:57 PM

2,251 posts, read 4,495,369 times
I wouldn't live anywhere near that place. Rocky Flats was one of the most contaminated nuclear sites in the country. I know they "cleaned it up" but if you believe that well...good luck.

Old 05-22-2016, 06:45 PM

189 posts, read 192,158 times
It is safe, it really is!

$375M settlement reached in homeowner lawsuit against Rocky Flats - The Denver Post

Old 05-23-2016, 12:55 AM

2,640 posts, read 2,281,282 times
So those 15k residents affected by the Rocky Flats downfall get roughly a $25k settlement? Give it another 50 years from now, all the newborn babies will have birth defects. Born with 3 eyes, 11 fingers instead of two eyes, 10 fingers.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:42 AM

918 posts, read 980,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
So those 15k residents affected by the Rocky Flats downfall get roughly a $25k settlement? Give it another 50 years from now, all the newborn babies will have birth defects. Born with 3 eyes, 11 fingers instead of two eyes, 10 fingers.
A noble sacrifice in fighting the commies. We can make a bronze statue of a three-eyed, eleven-fingered kid to honor them.

Rocky Flats is a fine example of free enterprise rising to fight the commie threat using ingenuity and creativity to supply vital components that crafted the nuclear shield that protected America during the darkest hours.

Old 05-23-2016, 04:59 PM

14,114 posts, read 20,782,647 times
To my knowledge you have to sign something in your contract stating you know you're buying on old Rocky Flats...

Old 07-05-2016, 09:46 AM

6 posts, read 7,001 times
I think much of the outcry about rocky flats is far fetched, but I do also believe there are concerns that should be taken seriously. From my understanding all water from rocky flats drains to a reservoir within the refuge and is continually monitored. It does not drain to drinking water. Also, if you look at the watershed boundaries, to the south the boundary runs more or less along the train tracks. Leyden rock is in a different watershed and Candelas is at the outer edges draining in. Plutonium is stable in soil and binds strongly to soil. Buried in soil it isn't a huge concern. The concern is when it is disturbed in soil and becomes airborn and breathed in. The current plan is to dig along the eastern edge of the refuge which could kick up any buried plutonium and this area is an area where high concentrations were measured. This map shows a dotted line along the proposed parkway route http://www.boulderblueline.org/wp-co...-alignment.png . So downwind and to the east of this area could be the most affected. I don't think it is wise to dig here and I will not buy a house east of here just in case they ever do move forward with the parkway. So in my opinion, living just south and south west of the refuge is less concerning than living in the communities that already exist to the east. I personally would stay away from living right next to the landfill because of the gases (even ones you can't smell), ideally if downwind at least a mile or two away. So for that area I think the western side of candelas and the north eastern part of leyden would be the best.

Also remember there is a large amount of uncertainties with how much and where plutonium was leaked and deposited in the area, so this does rightfully raise concerns but also provides an open book for people to cry doomsday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or