Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 09:04 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,626,754 times

Advertisements

I've been reading of stories of people spending weeks to look for apartments in Denver, only to be put on waiting lists and essentially writing a check for the first place they can find.

Is the same true in the suburbs? We're headed out in two weeks to the Littleton/Lakewood/Englewood area and have probably 8-10 apartment complexes we're looking at. Online, they seem to all have openings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 11:20 AM

214 posts, read 258,569 times
I have rented a couple apartments in Lakewood. Online prices and availability are meaningless. You need to call the apartment manager or physically go to an apartment complex to really see what's available and what the prices are.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:23 AM

22,192 posts, read 29,207,240 times
I agree. We had the same issue coming to Lakewood from Miami. We had to take what was open first available after getting nothing at 5 places. This was 3 years ago. Now it's even harder. Don't trust online. Go in person. What places are you looking at so we can help you..

Old 05-20-2016, 11:59 AM

17 posts, read 43,147 times
I live in a Lakewood apartment, everything is full full FULL. You can thank the legal weed law for that.

Even parking situation is bad now, I remember I could come home after work and have plenty of free parking spots. But now the parking lots are literally overflowing (people who I believe don't even live here) and you have to park like 2-3 blocks down the street and physically walk to your unit.

The renting situation in a word....... BAD!

If all these people would stop moving here just to smoke weed, the situation would be better and rent prices would be much lower. I first moved in here in 2011 and the rent was a very affordable/reasonable $700/month. But now greed has taken over and it is creeping up on $1100/month.

~ first-hand observations from a Lakewood resident, I live in a 2 bed apartment currently and have a good "lay of the land" I've been in this apartment since 2011. The sharp cost-of-living spike was "overnight" and, in my opinion, 100% tied to the passage of the legal weed law.

If you have any questions OP, feel free to ask, I've lived here a long time.

Last edited by dan7819; 05-20-2016 at 12:10 PM..

Old 05-20-2016, 12:08 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,097,083 times
Here's the bad news.

Colorado population growth far outstripped new housing, census says

And it's not getting any better.

Old 05-20-2016, 12:19 PM

The top 5 apartment complexes we have on our list (of around 12 or so) are:
  • Tiburon Apartments - Littleton
  • The Pines at Pinehurst (technically Denver, but really NW Littleton)
  • Verona Apartments - Littleton
  • The Girard at Cherry Hills - Englewood
  • Terra Vista at the Park - Littleton

Just want to be within a 20-25 minute commute of Ken Caryl (where my GF will be teaching) but somewhere central enough that it's close(ish) to light rail and whatnot to get downtown for me.

Last edited by caverunner17; 05-20-2016 at 12:32 PM..

Old 05-20-2016, 12:25 PM

32 posts, read 36,748 times
I'd take a look at the apartments near Platte Canyon and Mineral, along with Escape at Ken Caryl, Dakota Ridge apartments or Tanemara apartments to be closer to KC, depending on your budget. I know a few people in both Verona and Terra Vista who say to avoid these apartments, as I was interested in those 2.

Old 05-20-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem316 View Post
I'd take a look at the apartments near Platte Canyon and Mineral, along with Escape at Ken Caryl, Dakota Ridge apartments or Tanemara apartments to be closer to KC, depending on your budget. I know a few people in both Verona and Terra Vista who say to avoid these apartments, as I was interested in those 2.
Trying to stay more north-east of KC to more "central" but Tanemara came up on my search before, so I'll add it to my list. Dakota Ridge looks pretty sweet. An actual "mountain" view!

Old 05-20-2016, 01:28 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,563,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan7819 View Post
I live in a Lakewood apartment, everything is full full FULL. You can thank the legal weed law for that.

Even parking situation is bad now, I remember I could come home after work and have plenty of free parking spots. But now the parking lots are literally overflowing (people who I believe don't even live here) and you have to park like 2-3 blocks down the street and physically walk to your unit.

The renting situation in a word....... BAD!

If all these people would stop moving here just to smoke weed, the situation would be better and rent prices would be much lower. I first moved in here in 2011 and the rent was a very affordable/reasonable $700/month. But now greed has taken over and it is creeping up on $1100/month.

~ first-hand observations from a Lakewood resident, I live in a 2 bed apartment currently and have a good "lay of the land" I've been in this apartment since 2011. The sharp cost-of-living spike was "overnight" and, in my opinion, 100% tied to the passage of the legal weed law.

If you have any questions OP, feel free to ask, I've lived here a long time.
It has little to do with weed being legal. There are a lot of people moving here for a lot more reasons than just pot.

It seems a lot more people are coming out lately complaining about the pot industry for the raise in rent. People, look at the bigger picture. There are a lot of jobs here for different professions. It is a very desirable area to move to because of the weather and activities.

Am I the sheltered one because I don't see the pot thing as being some end all be all of the new transplants?

Old 05-20-2016, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
It has little to do with weed being legal. There are a lot of people moving here for a lot more reasons than just pot.

It seems a lot more people are coming out lately complaining about the pot industry for the raise in rent. People, look at the bigger picture. There are a lot of jobs here for different professions. It is a very desirable area to move to because of the weather and activities.

Am I the sheltered one because I don't see the pot thing as being some end all be all of the new transplants?
We're moving because we're both runners and and enjoy hiking. Plus midwest winters suck and after 25 years of it, I want something different. I chose CO because I was born in Westminster (parents lived there for 10 years and moved when I was 6 months old), I have 6 friends who have all moved there in the last 2-3 years, and the much more moderate weather (even more so than the PNW with their gloomy winters). The only place I'd really consider would by SoCal, but no way do I want to be paying those prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver