U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 05:08 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,675,439 times

Advertisements

Im not even there but I can answer that... Comcast

While they are rated pretty low for customer service, they are one of the better companies in terms of price/quality of service/technology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 11:06 PM

411 posts, read 1,150,312 times
DSL as a technology is DEAD in North America. Only countries in Europe and possibly others, have managed to plan correctly for it, in advance (thick copper wiring).

Sat-based broadband = also crap (even with the "Gen-3" from Hughes and others).

Comcast is the capitalist greedy bastard and oligopoly here. There is some hope that Longmont and who knows - Boulder - will be able to build up their own/independent municipal fiber-based infrastructure. Seems that Longmont will be leading in this domain?

We can only hope that Comcast's "last mile" telco infrastructure will be "de-regularized" and allow third-party ISP resellers to band together and contract bandwidth out from Comcast. That's a very viable economic model (for Comcast, resellers and residential customers) - I've seen it working in Canada, with Rogers' network. It brings the monthly residential bills significantly down and one wouldn't have to deal with Comcast's shady business practices and ethics (no out-of-control price increases, and no "promotional pricing" CRAP).

Old 06-07-2016, 05:39 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,675,439 times
Comcast's internet is not that high priced compared to others.

Sure, if you compare with Google Fiber who data mines/sells all of your information and "launches" cities by providing service to a few apartment buildings that are already pre-wired and given exclusive deals that other companies do not have access to, it may be more expensive.

40/month for 25mbps is not a bad price at all.

Old 06-07-2016, 08:22 AM

411 posts, read 1,150,312 times
Comcast with $40/month for 25mbs? What are you talking about - that's rather a teaser rate - and for new customers only.
It's more like $50 (if not even $59.99) for "non-promo" rates.

I don't know about you, but that looks pricey to me. And comcast can do whatever it wants, due to the oligopolistic situation.

Old 06-07-2016, 12:47 PM

5,444 posts, read 4,846,644 times
I do want to throw this out there concerning Comcast. Make sure you read your agreement CAREFULLY. I found out the hard way about their cable box. I ended up getting their "triple play" with the X1 box and it had a price of 149.00. This was with a 2 year contract. After a year, my bill jumped up almost 20 bucks for the month. Come to find out, the contract price was just for the portion that covered the service and they "gave" me a discount on the cable box itself. After a year, I had to start paying for the cable box at just over 15 + taxes. So, now here I am in for another year on my contract, but my bill is no longer at the agreed upon price. Customer service told me I had to pay it and there was nothing they could/would do. Lesson learned on my end, so I leave this as a warning to others signing up for Comcast.
Attached Thumbnails
Cable Providers-comcast.jpg  

Old 06-11-2016, 07:34 AM

3,192 posts, read 2,641,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smihaila View Post
Comcast with $40/month for 25mbs? What are you talking about - that's rather a teaser rate - and for new customers only.
It's more like $50 (if not even $59.99) for "non-promo" rates.

I don't know about you, but that looks pricey to me. And comcast can do whatever it wants, due to the oligopolistic situation.
I got that rate from century link. I know it's a teaser rate, the guy on the phone even said so, so what I'll do is just switch providers when the year is up to another teaser rate...

Old 06-11-2016, 08:32 AM

2,517 posts, read 3,505,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I got that rate from century link. I know it's a teaser rate, the guy on the phone even said so, so what I'll do is just switch providers when the year is up to another teaser rate...
Actually no need to switch. You just call up and tell them you want your old rate back and they put it back every time. It is a pain to call each year but I've been holding at $20 for 12 Mbps rate for years that way.

Old 06-11-2016, 03:39 PM

3,192 posts, read 2,641,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
Actually no need to switch. You just call up and tell them you want your old rate back and they put it back every time. It is a pain to call each year but I've been holding at $20 for 12 Mbps rate for years that way.
ok lol, I'll do that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver