Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2008, 04:29 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,259,082 times

Advertisements

Read this:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/denve...ifornians.html

And many more. Just look in the index.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:01 PM

215 posts, read 770,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I finally washed mine last weekend, and look what happened! It's never ending!

9 more reasons?:

1. You may be far from your family. If you think that won't matter, think again.

2. If you are a non-native, you may get a lot of crap. And it won't all be in jest.
I'm from the Bronx and I'm Italian and most people west and South of NYC are automatically scared of me when they find this out even though I don't look violent and I'm not violent. I also wear a black overcoat, which is common place in NYC even when you're not wearing a suit. I'm in VA right now and most people think I'm a serial killer because of it, but I tell them it's 30 degrees outside and it's just my winter coat, but that doesn't seem to change their minds.

I was in a store the other day and a little girl on line turned to her mother and said, "Mommy, that's a scary coat."

I told her I was going to kill her for talking about me.

No I didn't. I told her it was just a winter coat and I was harmless, but I was going to follow her home and burn down her house while she was sleeping.

Okay, I didn't say that last part either.

People also get a little nervous when they hear the NYC/Bronx accent even though it's not thick (my mother taught me how to speak, not the neighborhood where I was raised, but I still picked up the local accent a bit anyway because, hell, I was raised there after all.)

Anyway, should I expect the same reaction in Denver? If not and they make fun of me for being from a different part of the same country they’re from themselves what could/would they say?

Last edited by ANAPA; 03-08-2008 at 08:12 PM..

Old 03-08-2008, 08:25 PM

^^^ Oh, you might hear the same stuff in Denver. Little kids are scared of lots of things. My DD was once afraid of a large cat she saw at the park. I'd pay it no mind.

Denver is not a dressy town. My DH has a dress coat, and I have commented he looks like a member of the Swedish organized crime system in it (he is Swedish ancestry). I bought it for him, when he was working for a dressier company than he is now. The Columbine killers supposedly belonged to a group called the Trench Coat M****. So that is the connotation.

OTOH, there are enough New Yorkers here that you would not be alone. There is also a fairly large local Italian community. You wouldn't look out of place here.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:26 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,016,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANAPA View Post
I'm from the Bronx and I'm Italian and most people west and South of NYC are automatically scared of me when they find this out even though I don't look violent and I'm not violent. I also wear a black overcoat, which is common place in NYC even when you're not wearing a suit. I'm in VA right now and most people think I'm a serial killer because of it, but I tell them it's 30 degrees outside and it's just my winter coat, but that doesn't seem to change their minds.

I was in a store the other day and a little girl on line turned to her mother and said, "Mommy, that's a scary coat."

I told her I was going to kill her for talking about me.

No I didn't. I told her it was just a winter coat and I was harmless, but I was going to follow her home and burn down her house while she was sleeping.

Okay, I didn't say that last part either.

People also get a little nervous when they hear the NYC/Bronx accent even though it's not thick (my mother taught me how to speak, not the neighborhood where I was raised, but I still picked up the local accent a bit anyway because, hell, I was raised there after all.)

Anyway, should I expect the same reaction in Denver? If not and they make fun of me for being from a different part of the same country they’re from themselves what could/would they say?
Have you considered buying a new coat?

Old 03-08-2008, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
^^^ Oh, you might hear the same stuff in Denver. Little kids are scared of lots of things. My DD was once afraid of a large cat she saw at the park. I'd pay it no mind.

Denver is not a dressy town. My DH has a dress coat, and I have commented he looks like a member of the Swedish organized crime system in it (he is Swedish ancestry). I bought it for him, when he was working for a dressier company than he is now. The Columbine killers supposedly belonged to a group called the Trench Coat M****. So that is the connotation.

OTOH, there are enough New Yorkers here that you would not be alone. There is also a fairly large local Italian community. You wouldn't look out of place here.
Yep, its references to Columbine I hear around here, and I'm 42 so I don't think I fit the High School misfit image.

What is a DH? Because I keep thinking Dead Husband and I can't be right.

I've gotten some sarcastic comments about being Italian and therfore being in the mafia down here, because all Italians are crimminals.

I finally learned how to shut people up. I tell them they're either a biggot or an idiot. When they ask me why I tell them if they're making these comments and they don't think I'm connected then they're an f'n racist biggot, but if they do think I'm connected they're an idiot because they're drawing attention to me and I'm going to have to have them silenced,.. and I will have this done by someone else while I am in a public place with a lot of wittnesses while a bullet enters the back of their brain when they're getting ready for bed.

And then I say, "So, which is it? Are you a biggot or an idiot?"

The anti-italian comments usually end right then and there.

I know there are some Southerners posting here, so I'll just say this is just one of the reasons why my stay in Virginia is lasting less than a full year. I'm very unhappy with the lack of intellectual stimulation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Have you considered buying a new coat?

http://bestsmileys.com/lol/1.gif (broken link) HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! http://bestsmileys.com/lol/1.gif (broken link) I swear you almost just made me spit, because when I read that I heard it being said in a very dead pan type of comedic voice.

No, I really like my coat. I love overcoats and it's a damn Ralph Lauren that cost too much money to keep in the closet anyway. When it wears out I'm going to get another one.

Now, if I was walking around with an overcoat and a shot gun I might understand someone's apprehension and a cop wanting to have a word with me.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:32 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,315,783 times
1.) It's not Scranton.
2.) It's not Scranton.
3.) It's not Scranton.
4.) It's not Scranton.
5.) It's not Scranton.
6.) It's not Scranton.
7.) It's not Scranton.
8.) It's not Scranton.
9.) It's not Scranton.
10.) It's not Scranton.

There's 10 perfectly solid reasons to avoid Denver. I think I covered all of the bases rather well.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:40 PM

DH is dear husband. I just like it better than "my husband", which sounds so Stepford Wife-ish. There's not a lot of overt bigotry here, but some people might think it's hilarious. A lot of us do have strong feelings about Columbine, yet. Bear with us.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:49 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,766,463 times
Default heres my ten

lets see if I can come up with ten:

Broncos no good anymore

Smog

Snow, more and more each year I hear

Always ichy and pokey crusties in nose

if your fat like me you cant get enough air to exersise to lose the wieght.

Its Brown alot of the year.

No IkEA

No Nearby major cities

not enough trees where you can find jobs

Hard to make friends (maybe that just me)

Tail gating is getting bad

oops I went over.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post

not enough trees where you can find jobs
??????????

Old 03-09-2008, 01:31 PM

2 posts, read 6,718 times
Traffic - Just like the "big cities"
Smoking - New laws unfair.
Immigration - Just like you've read - we're a "Sanctuary City"
Politics - We're the same as everywhere - we got our crooks too.
City-to-City - Laws are different across the Metro area -
That's about all I can think of - sorry, I don't have 10 reasons. I love it here!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver