Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 01:20 PM

4 posts, read 4,404 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine told me about this site for lots of good opinions and info, so here it goes,
My wife and I are looking to relocate to a mountain area. We took a trip to SLC last Jan and had a blast. Met some very nice people there from all over. We also discovered that they hire their own first for jobs, which we understand and can agree with for the most part, but you still have to give some of us a chance. I was told directly the reason we were being looked over was our out of state address. Ok, I'm good with that, but we can't move without a job. Now, that being said, I have heard that Colorado is a lot more open when it comes to outsiders moving in and creating a nice life. My wife has been a nurse for over 15 years, I'm working on my degree in medical administration and will be complete in a little over a year. We are not smokers, drinkers, but do like to socialize. Enjoy hiking, kayaking, hunting, fishing and some snow stuff. We have no children or pets. Would look to rent for the first year. rent budget, under $1000. Drive for work, under 30 min. Don't need to be downtown, not into night life. We are making a trip out we are hoping sometime soon. After reading some of the threads on here and seeing what people wanted for info to help, I hope I got it all right. Let me know what I forgot. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 02:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
We're opinionated, that's for sure!

Your wife shouldn't have *too* much trouble finding a job in Denver. The severe nursing over-supply seems to be over. Even I, a retired nurse, get these recruiting postcards in the mail occasionally. I don't know about your field, but hospitals are expanding these days.

Just where are you considering in Colorado?

Old 06-12-2016, 02:27 PM

556 posts, read 763,204 times
UcHealth is building a new medical campus is Highlands Ranch due to open in 2018 (UCHealth to open $315 million hospital in Highlands Ranch). I'm assuming they would need nurses and medical administrators there so that's something you can aim for.

Old 06-12-2016, 03:04 PM

4 posts, read 4,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
We're opinionated, that's for sure!

Your wife shouldn't have *too* much trouble finding a job in Denver. The severe nursing over-supply seems to be over. Even I, a retired nurse, get these recruiting postcards in the mail occasionally. I don't know about your field, but hospitals are expanding these days.

Just where are you considering in Colorado?
Considering the Denver area, but Colorado Springs is not out of the question.

Old 06-12-2016, 03:50 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,864,079 times
I have lived in Colorado and Utah and prefer Utah.

You can easily find a place for less than $1,000 in the Salt Lake City area.

The Avenues, Sugarhouse, Holladay and Millcreek all have a mountain-town feel with all the amenities of a big city.

Salt Lake City is much better for the outdoors then Denver is. Some of the nation's best mountain scenery right outside your door in Salt Lake City.

I find Salt Lake City more open then Denver. Denver is a very cliquish city. I am from Colorado and it is very rare for people to go out wanting to meet others.

I don't find Denver to be rude, but the people tend to go out in groups with no intention of associating with others.

The city has a alcohol-fueled recreational culture that probubly wouldn't fit in to well with someone who doesn't drink.

There are alot of dual-income no-kids people in Salt Lake City proper, just as many if not more per-capita then Denver.

I think it is interesting how people have so many doubts about Utah. I think it is good in someways because it keeps Salt Lake City and Wasatch the underrated area that it is.

Colorado Springs would certainly meet your rent budget as it is cheaper then Denver. The average one-bedroom in a decent area that is older in Colorado Springs after utilities would likely be right at $1000.

The scenery is incredible in Colorado Springs especially in you live on the Northwest-side it feels like a mountain resort with all the trails and open-space.

The economy in Colorado Springs is extremely, extremely weak but luckily the only-living wage positions being added here in quanity are in health care and construction.

There are also areas under $1000 a month in Larimer County such as Loveland and Timnath. Fort Collins has a rather large concentration of people working in health care also.

Larimer County is probubly the top front range urban county when it comes to recreational amenities.

Last edited by lovecrowds; 06-12-2016 at 04:04 PM..

Old 06-12-2016, 04:19 PM

The main deterrent I have heard people say about SLC is the Mormon culture, which doesn't seem like a big deal, but it's also never been in my face either. Other than an overly Morman vibe, everyone says SLC is great.

Old 06-12-2016, 04:30 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,559,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyatwork37 View Post
The main deterrent I have heard people say about SLC is the Mormon culture, which doesn't seem like a big deal, but it's also never been in my face either. Other than an overly Morman vibe, everyone says SLC is great.
It's a nice city. I disagree that it is a "much better city for the outdoors" than Denver. It just depends what you are in to. We have better whitewater close to the city and a more developed mountain park system. I do prefer Alta to anything close to Denver and if you live in Sandy, you can be there in a matter of minutes.

Denver has better dining and shopping options. It's a better city for city life than Slat Lake.

Salt Lake suffers from far worse inversions than Denver in the winter. I've seen pollution there unlike anything I've ever seen in Denver.

Both have their pros and cons. Just depends what you're after.

Old 06-12-2016, 06:23 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
SLC is not a Mormon city.
But, Utah is 99% dominated by the Church.

Old 06-12-2016, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
SLC is not a Mormon city.
But, Utah is 99% dominated by the Church.
Seems pretty Mormon to me.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 06-15-2016 at 06:04 AM..

Old 06-12-2016, 06:41 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Spellings is referencing the MSA.
The city is <50% LDS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver