U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2016, 01:07 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,685,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
1. Prison means sentences longer than 1 year. Are you serious?
2. Close to 50% of homeless people are mentally ill. So you would send people to prison for being crazy?
Much of the uptick in the 80s was due to federal funding cuts for mental hospitals (and states not picking up the slack, or doing much on the treatment side), along with misguided new rules about who could be committed.

Fix those things and there's a big chunk of the problem solved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2016, 01:11 PM

191 posts, read 149,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Nothing new. Former Californians and Texans have been convenient scapegoats for decades, but best not go on too long about that less the anti-transplant brigade's ears start burning.
Texans are fine (good people!), Californians on the other hand can be trouble. It seems everywhere they go prices/rents go up and laws are changed in a bad way (higher taxes, more leftism, etc).

I hear thru the grapevine that lots of Californians are moving to Texas lately, and already a few Texans I know are complaining about rents creeping up.

Getting back on topic, I don't know why the homeless are allowed to harass us normal folk in broad daylight to begin with. I've been approached by homeless panhandlers/bums in store parking lots at least 3 times this month alone. My best guess is the police just don't want to deal w/ them or it's laziness on their part. I suppose it's much easier/profitable to write traffic tickets for going ~5 mph over the limit

If the city would designate some large building somewhere to dump all these transients it would really clean up the community. Who wants to be harassed by panhandlers when they're out shopping, in broad daylight?? I don't.

Just take them off the street (I don't care HOW they do it), it's unsightly and us normal folk just want to go about our day w/o being harassed by disheveled druggie strangers.

If these transients are too lazy to even apply for welfare/get on the dole that's their problem, there's PLENTY of free mental health centers, homeless shelters, church food drives, outreach programs, etc out there.

Old 06-25-2016, 01:23 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,685,055 times
In fairness to the cops, speeding is a bigger safety problem than bums. Traffic accidents kills twice as many people as crime in the US, and panhandling problems are generally about comfort rather than safety.

Old 06-25-2016, 01:30 PM

3,258 posts, read 1,638,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
We just need to criminalize homelessness throw em all in prison and make them work. If we actually had the stones to do it the city would be very pleasant without having to trip over vagrants as you walk around.
Good luck with that in Colorado Springs.

Denver has the resources to enforce it and they have. I mean without thinking twice they cleared the homeless camps. I see more police in downtown Denver then I used to see on the Las Vegas Strip.

Considering the high rents in Denver, it seems calmer then other cities I have lived dealing with excessive rents that are causing many people to become homeless.

Colorado Springs has no resources to enforce it's city code and very few jobs so that plan would not work in Colorado Springs.

Denver is the real law and order city in the state. Colorado Springs talks tough but has no resources to enforce.

I have been to downtown Denver many times and it seems better to me then several years ago.

It seems like the business people and tourists as of late outnumber the vagrants by at least 10 to 1 on the 16th street mall. As opposed to Colorado Springs where half the people are vagrants.

Michael Hancock and Robert White seem to be aggressive compared to many cities. I have been to many cities and lived in many cities and Denver certainly is more aggressive on enforcement then other cities I have lives.

Michael Hancock is a Democrat that comes across more as a conservative Republican to me personally.

Denver seems to have lots of police down on the 16th street mall. There are more cops in downtown Denver then the Las Vegas Strip.

Old 06-25-2016, 01:41 PM

2,707 posts, read 2,363,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousMiscer View Post
Texans are fine (good people!), Californians on the other hand can be trouble. It seems everywhere they go prices/rents go up and laws are changed in a bad way (higher taxes, more leftism, etc).

I hear thru the grapevine that lots of Californians are moving to Texas lately, and already a few Texans I know are complaining about rents creeping up.

Getting back on topic, I don't know why the homeless are allowed to harass us normal folk in broad daylight to begin with. I've been approached by homeless panhandlers/bums in store parking lots at least 3 times this month alone. My best guess is the police just don't want to deal w/ them or it's laziness on their part. I suppose it's much easier/profitable to write traffic tickets for going ~5 mph over the limit

If the city would designate some large building somewhere to dump all these transients it would really clean up the community. Who wants to be harassed by panhandlers when they're out shopping, in broad daylight?? I don't.

Just take them off the street (I don't care HOW they do it), it's unsightly and us normal folk just want to go about our day w/o being harassed by disheveled druggie strangers.

If these transients are too lazy to even apply for welfare/get on the dole that's their problem, there's PLENTY of free mental health centers, homeless shelters, church food drives, outreach programs, etc out there.
Cut off the SNAP and welfare with requirement to work, then you'll see them become more productive.

Old 06-25-2016, 03:05 PM

12,297 posts, read 8,108,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Nothing new. Former Californians and Texans have been convenient scapegoats for decades, but best not go on too long about that less the anti-transplant brigade's ears start burning.
Yeah I agree. I have been here for 17 years now. At least my daughter is a "native".

Old 06-25-2016, 03:08 PM

14,056 posts, read 20,398,966 times
Default You get to stay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Yeah I agree. I have been here for 17 years now. At least my daughter is a "native".
So, you had the anchor baby.

Old 06-25-2016, 03:14 PM

191 posts, read 149,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Cut off the SNAP and welfare with requirement to work, then you'll see them become more productive.
That's the thing, I suspect a lot of these homeless bums don't even bother w/ getting welfare . I mean, if you're so damn lazy (and stupid?) you can't scrounge up enough money (a couple dollars?) for a bus ticket to ride down to the welfare/handout office then that's on you..... no sympathy for that level of sloth.

I notice that a lot of these homeless transients claim to be broke, yet when they are standing under bridges or on street corners you can clearly see a big can of booze on the ground/in the background or a box of cigarettes in their pocket. Broke, yet can afford $6 packs of cigs and $2 beer cans? Some of them also seem to sport late-model smartphones, but can't afford food?

These are by and large able-bodied young men under 50, with (what I assume are) valid social security numbers, and they can't get welfare/food stamps?? I mean come on......

Old 06-25-2016, 04:32 PM

6,473 posts, read 13,968,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I am always amazed that people expect bums to be well-behaved. I guess they are, if you keep giving them money! It's like the squirrel that bit somone in a Denver park because the person did not feed it like everybody else had been doing.

They choose to live far outside of societal norms, so preying on passers-by isn't that surprising.

Those one-way bus tickets that some towns give to the bums just to get rid of them...send 'em right back where they came from!
Bums were probably more well behaved before many of them were crazy people. There used to be places to put the seriously mentally ill or people where were violent and mentally ill, or people with very bad drug addiction. Now they are on the streets.

Old 06-25-2016, 04:38 PM

6,473 posts, read 13,968,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousMiscer View Post
That's the thing, I suspect a lot of these homeless bums don't even bother w/ getting welfare . I mean, if you're so damn lazy (and stupid?) you can't scrounge up enough money (a couple dollars?) for a bus ticket to ride down to the welfare/handout office then that's on you..... no sympathy for that level of sloth.

I notice that a lot of these homeless transients claim to be broke, yet when they are standing under bridges or on street corners you can clearly see a big can of booze on the ground/in the background or a box of cigarettes in their pocket. Broke, yet can afford $6 packs of cigs and $2 beer cans? Some of them also seem to sport late-model smartphones, but can't afford food?

These are by and large able-bodied young men under 50, with (what I assume are) valid social security numbers, and they can't get welfare/food stamps?? I mean come on......
Actually if you have no children and are not disabled, then it MAY be hard for you to get help. Keep that in mind. There are programs for people with mental disabilities like drug addiction or schizophrenia, but ironically some of those people are not capable of taking advantage of the help.

If you are just a normal person with no kids, no friends or family and no money, help may be limited. You can get food stamps, but cash assistance or welfare and housing assistance may be harder to come by unless you have children... I don't really blame them, but you do have to wonder if someone has NOBODY who will help them out...they may have worn out their welcome in several places.

But then again if you are in that situation some cigarettes or booze may be one of the few pleasures you have in life. Having crazy people on the street to me is a big problem, but I try not to blame them. Rich bankers who get handouts from the government and look down on their fellow citizens, are they better?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or