U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 10:14 AM

6,961 posts, read 6,570,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
Sounds like the shop owner and victim had to force the police to take action.

and

So, the police are only worried when it's OVERLY aggressive? lol.
Well the courts have ruled that panhandling is legal, so I guess the enforcement question is when does it cross the line. Things aren't black and white. Lots of gray areas legally speaking. It's why this isn't so easy to deal with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 10:17 AM
SQL SQL started this thread

1,337 posts, read 849,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Well the courts have ruled that panhandling is legal, so I guess the enforcement question is when does it cross the line. Things aren't black and white. Lots of gray areas legally speaking. It's why this isn't so easy to deal with.
I would certainly argue that the line crossing begins when it goes from simply asking for some change or food, to following someone and verbally assaulting them.

Old 06-22-2016, 04:20 PM

14,123 posts, read 20,901,099 times
There needs to be more cops on 16th street mall period. If there was more police presence stuff like this wouldn't happen. Isn't this becoming an ongoing thing with these vagrant groups??

Old 06-22-2016, 06:29 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,514,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
There needs to be more cops on 16th street mall period. If there was more police presence stuff like this wouldn't happen. Isn't this becoming an ongoing thing with these vagrant groups??
My wife & I were at that big Walgreens a few weeks and there was a sizable group of police out front...all the bums started protesting and screaming about police oppression and caused a gigantic scene. Of course the police didn't do anything, but I really wished I could have witnessed some skull cracking. It sucks that useless people like that are ruining a nice part of the city.

I propose we collect them, put them onto a rocket and shoot it into the sun.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:06 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,356,458 times
Get 10 buses, round up all the vagrants throughout Denver, drive them out to central Wyoming and leave them there. Need to clean out the bottom feeders.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:52 PM

4,978 posts, read 2,293,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
In NYC panhadling is against the law, at least last time I Was there. In Boston, I am not sure what the exact lw is (though I know street corner car panhandling is illegal) but for whatever reason the Boston bums are very subtle in their panhandling. Denver has the most aggressive pan handlers of any city I have been in.

Not sure what you mean by accosted, but I highly doubt you would be able to walk the length of the 16th street mall, well dressed, and not have someone ask you for money, regardless of your expression.

I dislike the non profit charity panhadlers as much as I do the bums. And I give them the same replies when they approach me. Gotta love their shrill and condescending "have a nice day" as I walk away, as if they are capable of making me feel guilty lolol.
No, this is actually a "thing" & as much as I wish it were MY "thing", I doubt it ever will be!
It's something in the way people carry themselves, I don't think it's something you could ever teach someone to do.

My husband "has it":

He's big, but I don't think that's it (6'4", 250lbs). He has grey hair/beard & does not "dress nice". He's a Welder & a supervisor for a shift of about 50 guys. This is a pretty tough crowd; he's had guns & knives pulled on him but he's home on time every night. There was an incident about 5 years ago now known as "the time Mac took that dude's face off".

I'm not kidding about the "tough crowd" part; this is one of those companys that gets a tax write-off for hiring convicted felons right out of DOC. Interestingly, he's very well liked. He calls these guys "his kids".
I've had the mothers of some of these "kids" show up at my front door to say "Thank you, you turned his life around" to him.

In 12 years I have seen him get approached 1 time by a bum. This was at a 7-11 at about midnight. The guy approached him as he came out the door . My husband walked right past the car (where I was, peeking around my fingers because I had covered my face when I saw what was happening) & kept walking towards the bum who had started walking backwards with his hands in the air. It took about 5 seconds for that guy to be clear of the property.

When Mac got back in the car he was shaking his head in disbelief & said "Can you believe that sh*t?"

I said "Well, um yeah, that happens to me every day!" Because I, on the other hand, must have some glowing bullseye on my head, I swear.

He talked about it for days..he just couldn't believe the nerve!

Old 06-23-2016, 06:46 AM

330 posts, read 348,830 times
Denver police plan to increase panhandling enforcement on 16th Street Mall The Denver Post

About. damn. time.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:32 AM

898 posts, read 993,150 times
Quote:
Maybe it's time to change that ruling... Panhandling is illegal on NYC subways and for a good reason.

This sense of entitlement boggles my mind. Just the other day a guy came up to my car and asked for change - I said sorry buddy no cash which is true. You know what he did? Started bitching to me "everybody got plastic nobody got cash what about me? I don't take plastic what am I supposed to do?" I mean can you believe this ****?

Old 06-23-2016, 07:49 AM

6,961 posts, read 6,570,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoitzrimz View Post
Maybe it's time to change that ruling... Panhandling is illegal on NYC subways and for a good reason.

This sense of entitlement boggles my mind. Just the other day a guy came up to my car and asked for change - I said sorry buddy no cash which is true. You know what he did? Started bitching to me "everybody got plastic nobody got cash what about me? I don't take plastic what am I supposed to do?" I mean can you believe this ****?
Tell him to sign up for Square? (And let them eat cake)

Old 06-23-2016, 08:07 AM

898 posts, read 993,150 times
Quote:
Tell him to sign up for Square? (And let them eat cake)
Don't get me wrong I feel for the guy but when panhandlers / travelers / whatever you want to call them are pissed off at me for not carrying cash around just so I have something to give to them I mean... That's a couple of steps away from what you see in the videos posted before. Then again, maybe wash park doesn't have such problems so since it not your backyard who cares I suppose
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or