U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 11:15 AM
SQL SQL started this thread

1,337 posts, read 842,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
"“There was a couple, man and wife walking down the street and they were being harassed by the transients or the homeless,” Webber said.

Webber said words were exchanged and a fight broke out but was quickly broken up. Then more people from the same group got involved.

“Different people from the same crowd that hangs out on 16th Street attacked them again,” he said. “One of the agitators got the u-lock back and then charged somebody else and tried to take a swipe at another guy."

Webber said the husband pulled a pocket knife to defend himself and his wife. In the video, someone is heard telling one of the men involved that he can't beat up a woman.

“Ultimately, it ended up with bottles being broken over people's heads, a knife and a u-lock, and people are in jail and the hospital because of it,” Webber said.
Downtown events marred by violence over weekend | FOX31 Denver

--------

I knew this was going to start becoming a problem. I experienced something very similar a couple weekends ago when my friends came to visit me. We were casually walking down the 16th Street Mall when one of these vagrants came up to me and started verbally assaulting me and following us. When we walked back down the mall later in the evening, the vagrant continued his barrage of insults towards me.

I am usually a pretty compassionate and understanding person. However, the homeless (vagrant) problem is out of control here, and it needs to be contained. Especially if this is how these people are going to start behaving. This is unacceptable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 12:12 PM

5,308 posts, read 2,754,696 times
I am always amazed that people expect bums to be well-behaved. I guess they are, if you keep giving them money! It's like the squirrel that bit somone in a Denver park because the person did not feed it like everybody else had been doing.

They choose to live far outside of societal norms, so preying on passers-by isn't that surprising.

Those one-way bus tickets that some towns give to the bums just to get rid of them...send 'em right back where they came from!

Old 06-20-2016, 12:26 PM

2,657 posts, read 2,304,927 times
What are these homeless people fighting over?

Old 06-20-2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
What are these homeless people fighting over?
In my case, which didn't result in a fight, the vagrant was just being a jerk. He made a snarky comment about my shirt. I laughed it off and continued walking, but he followed me and continued harassing me as I walked on. When I came back down the mall later in the night, he continued making comments loud enough so I'd hear. These people tend to be lazy, drug-addicted moochers. Manners and civility do not appear to be in their repertoire.

Old 06-20-2016, 01:08 PM

Someone getting shot on the Cherry Creek bike path at 2:30pm on Saturday is pretty concerning to me since I take the route pretty frequently. I'm wondering if it was between two druggies, or if there was an innocent victim who was targeted.

Old 06-20-2016, 01:20 PM

5,308 posts, read 2,754,696 times
SQL, those things can happen at any time. In the early 90s when Denver gangs proliferated, someone I knew was stopped on another popular bike path by a young guy who pointed a gun at him, demanding his mountain bike. Well, he picked the wrong guy to pick on. The potential victim broke the criminal's arm, took the gun away, and disposed of it. YES!!!!

Learning self-defense techniques would be good against criminal homeless also. The problem is that they often come in twos or more.

Old 06-20-2016, 01:37 PM

6,902 posts, read 6,494,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQL View Post
Someone getting shot on the Cherry Creek bike path at 2:30pm on Saturday is pretty concerning to me since I take the route pretty frequently. I'm wondering if it was between two druggies, or if there was an innocent victim who was targeted.
I don't know, but I suspect that if it were an innocent victim, it would be front page news on every local news site.

Old 06-20-2016, 01:39 PM

191 posts, read 147,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQL View Post
Downtown events marred by violence over weekend | FOX31 Denver

--------

I knew this was going to start becoming a problem. I experienced something very similar a couple weekends ago when my friends came to visit me. We were casually walking down the 16th Street Mall when one of these vagrants came up to me and started verbally assaulting me and following us. When we walked back down the mall later in the evening, the vagrant continued his barrage of insults towards me.

I am usually a pretty compassionate and understanding person. However, the homeless (vagrant) problem is out of control here, and it needs to be contained. Especially if this is how these people are going to start behaving. This is unacceptable.
I've also noticed a BIG uptick in homeless people myself, I've been in Denver area over 26 years so I can definitely see a trend in the recent years. I suspect the sky-high cost of housing is the main culprit, the next-best guess is that a lot of these recent homeless bums are from out-of-state (came here to do drugs, smoke weed, or didn't properly plan/have a job lined up and thus ended up homeless).

Just a few recent examples:

1. At a nearby park that I drive by often, I see the *same* beat up large size blue Ford sedan parked there everyday during day-time hours in the same exact spot. In the back is a crude cardboard box cut-out with a "homeless" message written on it, I can't remember exactly what it says but if I recall correctly it has a simple "need money for food" message on it, or something like that. The car has a disheveled looking young man sitting in the driver seat. Interestingly I don't see the car parked there at night, so I assume he sleeps somewhere else.

2. A few weeks ago at the nearby Walmart there was a disheveled, poorly-dressed old lady standing near the main door, she was asking customers who were entering the door for spare change as they walked in. She seemed really nice, but I could tell she was homeless/transient right away from the way she was dressed and her poor mouth hygiene.

3. Last Wednesday I made a quick run to the Sheridan/dartmouth King Soopers around lunch time (11 am - 12:30 ish), got some chicken and veggies. I paid and got to my car, while I'm in the driver seat getting ready to start the car, I notice thru the driver window a strange man in his 30's walking my direction and eyeing me. I discreetly lock my door w/ my elbow.

My window was open just a tad and he began asking for "you got a dollar or two?", I waved him off and told him I don't have any cash on me. He then walked off to another car nearby who also had the driver just about getting ready to leave, and I overheard him also asking for money from that person. He then walked over to a car that was just pulling into the parking lot, stood in front of the truck, and appeared to pester that driver as well.

4. This past Saturday at the same Walmart from #2, it was a similar scenario to #3, I went in to buy some miscellaneous items and when I was in my car getting ready to leave a rather healthy-looking young male approached my driver side window asking for a few dollars, he said he was homeless. Once again I locked my door, waved him off, and drove away. In the rear-view mirror I saw him pestering another nearby driver as she was getting ready to leave.

These first-hand observations come from the general area between Kipling ave/Hampden intersection and the Sheridan/Bear valley shopping center. I currently live on outskirts of Littleton area, so I pass thru Lakewood and SW area of Denver regularly and have been doing so for years.

In my entire time here I don't recall as many homeless folk as seem to be present now. I remember even 10 years ago the homeless were mostly confined to the downtown area, but now it seems they are popping up even in the middle-class suburbs, scary stuff

I suspect that the recent EPIDEMIC of vehicles with broken/smashed rear windshields is at least somewhat related to this rise in homeless folks. Of course, most homeless folk mind their own business and stick to simple begging, but there is that tiny % that turns to crime to get money.

Old 06-20-2016, 02:02 PM

9,349 posts, read 5,537,058 times
Thank goodness for CCW and Colorado being a "shall issue" state.

Old 06-20-2016, 02:59 PM

199 posts, read 134,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Thank goodness for CCW and Colorado being a "shall issue" state.
I concur
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or