U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 08:56 AM

2 posts, read 2,109 times

Advertisements

Sorry, for the confusion. When NYC apartments of 1500 sqft go for over $2mil, it makes most homes we have seen in our search seem reasonable, even if they are very expensive. We are willing to look in most price ranges, but price really depends on that area you are looking at. A $1mil house in NYC or affluent suburbs gets you a small starter home (if you can find anything for that amount), while $1mil other places gets you a huge newly renovated beautiful home. As we don't know the area we want to move to, I cannot put a price range yet.

Thus, I am looking for great neighborhoods with great schools. My research shows a very low population of asian students in schools. Are there any areas that have a higher asian population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 09:08 AM

556 posts, read 576,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denver12345 View Post
Sorry, for the confusion. When NYC apartments of 1500 sqft go for over $2mil, it makes most homes we have seen in our search seem reasonable, even if they are very expensive. We are willing to look in most price ranges, but price really depends on that area you are looking at. A $1mil house in NYC or affluent suburbs gets you a small starter home (if you can find anything for that amount), while $1mil other places gets you a huge newly renovated beautiful home. As we don't know the area we want to move to, I cannot put a price range yet.

Thus, I am looking for great neighborhoods with great schools. My research shows a very low population of asian students in schools. Are there any areas that have a higher asian population.
So the nicer, more affluent areas of Denver I've noticed are typically consisting of white people. While there are different ethnicities in every area, your nicest ones will be more than likely 85+ percent white. Look in places like greenwood village, cherry hills village, hampden south, bow Mar, and Washington Park. Those are really nice areas with really nice schools. But they're going to be mainly white. Denver metro area is a really white city compared to places like NYC or LA. Not that there is anything inherently wrong with that, but you were asking about diversity.

Old 06-26-2016, 09:12 AM

3,466 posts, read 1,705,701 times
Quote:

I think some of the highest Asian populations in good school districts are in the Cherry Creek School District (suburban Greenwood Village, Centennial, South Aurora and Southeast Aurora) and in the Boulder Valley district. There are upscale homes in all of these areas and your kids would not stand out. The number of Asian students in Douglas and Jefferson counties and in Littleton will be less.

Old 06-26-2016, 10:29 AM

13,967 posts, read 20,238,281 times
Quote:
Are there any areas that have a higher asian population.
Nope
Asian: 3.4% (0.8% Vietnamese, 0.6% Chinese, 0.5% Indian, 0.3% Korean, 0.3% Japanese, 0.3% Filipino, 0.2% Burmese, 0.1% Cambodian) - Wiki, City & County of Denver

Old 06-26-2016, 11:18 AM

3,466 posts, read 1,705,701 times
I think Greenwood Village would be a good location for you, the area from the DTC east to Peoria, between Belleview and Arapahoe. This is an upscale area with many homes in the $million range, and highly rated public schools with about the highest percentage of Asians that you will find in the area. A couple of the elementary and middle schools have Asian percentages from 13 to 16%. That's low for where I came from but is quite high for this area.

If you continue east past Parker Rd into south Aurora, there are also some highly rated schools with Asian percentages approaching 15%. This area is more suburban and less upscale, but still nice.

Old 06-26-2016, 02:13 PM
Status: "Celebrating 30 years as a Broker" (set 27 days ago)

10,892 posts, read 29,338,995 times
There are pockets of affluent areas in each city. The most affluent city is Cherry Hills Village.

In Cherry Hills Village there are 56 homes for sale from 1.1 to 12.9 million. Not one condo or townhouse.

Next, would be Greenwood Village - 29 condos or townhomes for sale and 69 single family houses from $500,000 to 7.4 million.

Old 06-26-2016, 04:01 PM

10 posts, read 8,562 times
Your kid doesn't need to go to school with a ton of other Asian kids to fit in and be happy. I speak as a half white, quarter Japanese, quarter black person who spent a childhood in Evergreen Colorado. The schools and town were about nearly all white. I still had a ton of friends! People were curious sure, especially at the time, but people from Colorado are especially accepting in my opinion.

If it's about culture, know that it's up to you to teach them their culture, not other Asian kids. All us
Asians aren't the same either btw. Being Japanese in a Vietnamese community isn't going to get you bonus points. I think you mean well but don't make your kids feel like they need other Asians around to be comfortable with themselves. You're putting them in a box. You could put your kid in a diverse school and they could get teased just the same. That's just my two sense. Teach your kids confidence in themselves and they'll be happy in any good school district, regardless of race. I loved my childhood in Colorado and I bet your kids will too!

Old 06-26-2016, 05:15 PM

3,111 posts, read 4,888,580 times
Look in Cherry Creek High School Attendance area.

The school and its feeder schools are 10%+ Asian.

There is a decently large Jewish population and the area is within an eruv, but many of the Jews who live there are non-religious.

The schools are WAY better than DPS schools with many students going on to top universities.

Old 06-26-2016, 08:40 PM

21,055 posts, read 11,676,612 times
You may want to check out Stapleton - some of the best schools in the Denver Public School district, and some are among the best in the state. Not high percentages, but there is both an Asian and a Jewish population in the area and in the schools.

Old 06-27-2016, 07:14 AM

17,086 posts, read 9,818,525 times
Count me in for Cherry Creek School District feeding to Cherry Creek High School. Look for homes in the Belleview Elementary area. You will be in good company. The high school and surrounding area are located within an eruv, and the public schools include lots of Reform and non-practicing Jews. Professional families. Very affluent. High-performing schools. A ton of extracurricular programs for students.

Edit: I see David beat me to mentioning the eruv. A lot of people overlook that, but as he also said, the orthodox educate their children separately, so you would be in good company as non-practicing Jews in the public schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or