U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 12:01 PM

650 posts, read 561,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepperDenise View Post
Ok, I think I get it...Golden, still appears, to me, to be "Golden". Thank you all.
Yup, one of the nicest western suburbs on the front range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 12:15 PM

38 posts, read 62,172 times
Default Golden is ranked as EXCEPTIONALLY LIVABLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
It really depends on what you are looking for and what is important for retirement.

Pros:
* Small(er) town feel
* Relatively safe
* Somewhat walkable if you live near downtown
* Minimal traffic (within town) unless it's a weekend
* Nice views of the foothills and north/south Table Mountain
* Nice bike paths, walking trails, and Clear Creek flows through town

Cons:
* Transit access, though it might also be a "Pro" depending on who you talk to since there are bus and rail options; I'm disappointed that the light rail line doesn't end in downtown Golden, though there is a Call and Ride that services the light rail station, which is outside of downtown Golden.
* The cost of housing is expensive compared to other areas
* It's not in the mountains and not adjacent to skiing, though skiing is not THAT far away
* Sometimes there is an odor from Coors brewery
* Nearest hospital/ER is in Lakewood, near the Federal Center (I think? Correct me if I'm wrong)

I'm one of those folks who has a Golden mailing address, but technically I live in Unincorporated Jefferson County, just east of the City of Golden boundary. I shop, hang out, and visit Golden proper very often.
Thanks cowboxjon

Old 06-29-2016, 02:30 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,051,695 times
OP, have you actually spent time in any of the three cities on your list? I ask, because they are wildly different, in many ways. The other places are very isolated and not close to major urban areas. Golden is a nice suburb- and one with history/identity- but there is no doubt to anyone visiting that it is part of a 3 million person metro area.

When my wife and I lived in Denver and looked at real estate, we noticed that "Golden" searches often included listings at Genessee, Lookout Mountain, Golden Gate Canyon Rd., and a ton of places that were really for all intents and purposes really the western side of Arvada, Wheat Ridge, or more likely Lakewood. That can create a little confusion when exploring from a distance, but in reality there are very few available and reasonably priced places in Golden that are in the walkable, bikeable area near downtown.

I'm bringing this up because you've mentioned that you have a desire to a place that is in no way suburban, and I just noticed that you specified on another thread that you want peace and quiet. Don't get me wrong, Golden is a nice place. But NW Crow is right. If you feel that access to big city amenities in Denver are important to you, Golden may be a good choice. If being next to a big city isn't what you're looking for, though, it's worth pointing out that there are many standalone cities in the west that are as close or closer to ski slopes, and would still have low crime rates, volunteer opportunities, and access to most day-to-day amenities. Even towns just a little further up in elevation and west on 70 would provide mental and physical separation from the Denver metro area.

What other criteria do you have? What's the price range for housing? Political leanings? How much land are you interested in? How big of a town would you consider to be ideal? Unless you absolutely need things like regular flights around the country or season tickets to major league sporting events, it sounds like other places may be even more suitable for retirement....

Last edited by bartonizer; 06-29-2016 at 02:52 PM..

Old 07-13-2016, 01:05 PM

38 posts, read 62,172 times
Default Golden is ranked as EXCEPTIONALLY LIVABLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
OP, have you actually spent time in any of the three cities on your list? I ask, because they are wildly different, in many ways. The other places are very isolated and not close to major urban areas. Golden is a nice suburb- and one with history/identity- but there is no doubt to anyone visiting that it is part of a 3 million person metro area.

When my wife and I lived in Denver and looked at real estate, we noticed that "Golden" searches often included listings at Genessee, Lookout Mountain, Golden Gate Canyon Rd., and a ton of places that were really for all intents and purposes really the western side of Arvada, Wheat Ridge, or more likely Lakewood. That can create a little confusion when exploring from a distance, but in reality there are very few available and reasonably priced places in Golden that are in the walkable, bikeable area near downtown.

I'm bringing this up because you've mentioned that you have a desire to a place that is in no way suburban, and I just noticed that you specified on another thread that you want peace and quiet. Don't get me wrong, Golden is a nice place. But NW Crow is right. If you feel that access to big city amenities in Denver are important to you, Golden may be a good choice. If being next to a big city isn't what you're looking for, though, it's worth pointing out that there are many standalone cities in the west that are as close or closer to ski slopes, and would still have low crime rates, volunteer opportunities, and access to most day-to-day amenities. Even towns just a little further up in elevation and west on 70 would provide mental and physical separation from the Denver metro area.

What other criteria do you have? What's the price range for housing? Political leanings? How much land are you interested in? How big of a town would you consider to be ideal? Unless you absolutely need things like regular flights around the country or season tickets to major league sporting events, it sounds like other places may be even more suitable for retirement....

Bartonizer,

First, thank you for the thoughtful reply{you also NW Crow}---

Second I think housing for my wife will not exceed about 200K, independent in our political views and she just told me last week(after visiting a town of about 2k), that small may{now} be too small, she feels she need access to "commerce". Anyway, I love her and will likely end up differing to her, while my heart will remain wishing for a smallish ski town.

Old 07-14-2016, 05:12 PM

107 posts, read 141,594 times
200K will be tough, methinks

Old 07-14-2016, 06:53 PM

2,071 posts, read 1,800,154 times
200k and you want to be near skiing? Check out Salt Lake City.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:34 PM

4,153 posts, read 7,910,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
200k and you want to be near skiing? Check out Salt Lake City.
Is Salt Lake that cheap?

Anyhow, I was thinking maybe NM.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:25 PM

56 posts, read 44,244 times
Golden is a one-street kind of town. At least in Old Towne Arvada it is several blocks of historic retail/shopping/residential. Golden is just that one street with the tacky sign over it.

Old 07-15-2016, 02:37 PM

12,220 posts, read 7,995,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick4242 View Post
Golden is a one-street kind of town. At least in Old Towne Arvada it is several blocks of historic retail/shopping/residential. Golden is just that one street with the tacky sign over it.
What sign is that?

Old 07-15-2016, 05:43 PM

5,278 posts, read 2,723,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
What sign is that?
HOWDY, Welcome to Golden, where the west lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or