Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 10:13 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,616,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
That's the stupidest idea ever. Do you know how many people are going to go in there and eat for free claiming no money?? Good luck
That is my biggest worry. Especially kids in their late teenage years or early twenties. They will just think it is funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 10:44 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,557,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
That's the stupidest idea ever. Do you know how many people are going to go in there and eat for free claiming no money?? Good luck
But it is working in multiple other locations.

Old 06-30-2016, 11:16 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
But it is working in multiple other locations.
Why so many guilty consciences? Sure, some people pay for others in genuine altruism but I wonder what drives most of the donors.

Old 06-30-2016, 11:31 AM

760 posts, read 883,277 times
Panera did this awhile back. I had a friend who was a manager at a location in Detroit, and said that some of the patrons were down right rude and entitled. Parents would come in with Iphones, desginer hand bags, new shoes, etc...bringing like 4-5 kids, who were usually dirty and wearing ripped up clothes/shoes, and come in so arrogantly demanding everything for free.

What usually happened was that other patrons would end up donating $5-20 on top of their bill for the cause. She said it was important to not focus on the fact that the parents obviously were selfish with their spending, and to focus on how at least the children were getting a good meal.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:44 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,462,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Ski View Post
Panera did this awhile back. I had a friend who was a manager at a location in Detroit, and said that some of the patrons were down right rude and entitled. Parents would come in with Iphones, desginer hand bags, new shoes, etc...bringing like 4-5 kids, who were usually dirty and wearing ripped up clothes/shoes, and come in so arrogantly demanding everything for free.

What usually happened was that other patrons would end up donating $5-20 on top of their bill for the cause. She said it was important to not focus on the fact that the parents obviously were selfish with their spending, and to focus on how at least the children were getting a good meal.
Thats a fine idea and all but they need to make money to pay overhead. If not the place will close and people will lose their job. If its succeeding somewhere else I suspect theres a tax credit behind it and basically the tax payers are subsidizing feeding people who dont want to pay for their own food. But its a free country and if you want to give your product away for free its on you.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:57 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,843,959 times
Theres a pay as you can pizza joint here in town. Its pretty good for itself and surprisingly not many bums or anything that jumps out!

Old 07-01-2016, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
Thats a fine idea and all but they need to make money to pay overhead. If not the place will close and people will lose their job. If its succeeding somewhere else I suspect theres a tax credit behind it and basically the tax payers are subsidizing feeding people who dont want to pay for their own food. But its a free country and if you want to give your product away for free its on you.
Instead of (incorrectly) suspecting, why not read about the restaurant in the link I posted? You might learn something.

About | SAME Cafe

Financials: http://www.soallmayeat.org/wp-conten...ual-Report.doc

Old 07-01-2016, 09:01 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,052,517 times
They tried this in Denver on Tennyson st. But it closed down. Not sure why. However it was never busy. Usually just a few other groups. Rarely even half full.

The food was delicious, homemade and all gluten free which is why I went there. Plenty of choice. But it was uncomfortable eating there. Even though we paid full freight and then some. It was also hard to take friends there because they wondered why you were eating at a voluntary pay place, like you couldn't afford a proper restaurant. Also the staff was volunteers and they were super sweet but sort of over accommodating in a treating you like you were at a soup kitchen sort of way. Plus since they were volunteers and the pay was optional you really felt bad asking for something. If it were still there I would still go if I were in the area because the quality was great and the whole restaurant was gluten free but while it was still open I did find myself avoiding it because of the vibe you got that you were a charity case.

Got great reviews.
The Comfort Cafe - CLOSED - 16 Photos & 13 Reviews - American (Traditional) - Northwest - Denver, CO - Phone Number - Yelp

Last edited by mic111; 07-01-2016 at 09:38 AM..

Old 07-01-2016, 10:54 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
They tried this in Denver on Tennyson st. But it closed down. Not sure why. However it was never busy. Usually just a few other groups. Rarely even half full.

The food was delicious, homemade and all gluten free which is why I went there. Plenty of choice. But it was uncomfortable eating there. Even though we paid full freight and then some. It was also hard to take friends there because they wondered why you were eating at a voluntary pay place, like you couldn't afford a proper restaurant. Also the staff was volunteers and they were super sweet but sort of over accommodating in a treating you like you were at a soup kitchen sort of way. Plus since they were volunteers and the pay was optional you really felt bad asking for something. If it were still there I would still go if I were in the area because the quality was great and the whole restaurant was gluten free but while it was still open I did find myself avoiding it because of the vibe you got that you were a charity case.

Got great reviews.
The Comfort Cafe - CLOSED - 16 Photos & 13 Reviews - American (Traditional) - Northwest - Denver, CO - Phone Number - Yelp
I remember reading about that place when it opened. Never went there and didn't want to.

It would be better if restaurants stuck to restauranting--serving good food appropriately priced--without turning the act of eating out into a political statement. We don't eat at restaurants we cannot afford, nor do we expect anybody else to subsidize us.

Sometimes there are reports of a person paying for someone in back of them at a McDonald's drive-up line, and that's up to the individual, of course. It is not the same as going to where there is a Donations can "hinting" that people should give money just because they have some extra. Extra is supposed to be SAVED so that the person doesn't get into a situation like needing someone else to pay for him or her.

I can see a situation where a place becomes so well known for procuring free meals that people deliberately go there never intending to pay. Maybe that place then can't make ends meet, so it closes.

Old 07-01-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I remember reading about that place when it opened. Never went there and didn't want to.

It would be better if restaurants stuck to restauranting--serving good food appropriately priced--without turning the act of eating out into a political statement. We don't eat at restaurants we cannot afford, nor do we expect anybody else to subsidize us.

Sometimes there are reports of a person paying for someone in back of them at a McDonald's drive-up line, and that's up to the individual, of course. It is not the same as going to where there is a Donations can "hinting" that people should give money just because they have some extra. Extra is supposed to be SAVED so that the person doesn't get into a situation like needing someone else to pay for him or her.

I can see a situation where a place becomes so well known for procuring free meals that people deliberately go there never intending to pay. Maybe that place then can't make ends meet, so it closes.
Who are you to tell people what cause they should or should not donate to? If people want to do this they should be free to do so. The market will determine if they are able to raise enough capital to stay open. SOME Cafe has made it for a decade so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: