Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 10:07 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,185,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Check out Stapleton, a planned community on the site of the former airport, similar to Mueller in Austin if you are familiar with that.
Wow, that is a lot like Stapleton, isn't it? I don't know that I've heard of it by branded name before, just knew they were doing some new housing development by the old airport. Can't be very big, though. Mueller was a small airport with not much footprint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 07:30 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,146,189 times
Another option is Southeast Aurora, near Quincy/E470. I know of homes for rent that are in your price range and in Cherry Creek Schools. We lived there and my husband commuted to Commerce City for years. There is a back road way you can take that avoids the tollway. His commute was about 30 minutes each way.

Old 07-06-2016, 07:53 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,945,890 times
Commerce City is a big area. Will you be near Stapleton or on the Northside closer to the airport?

Old 07-06-2016, 08:56 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Wow, that is a lot like Stapleton, isn't it? I don't know that I've heard of it by branded name before, just knew they were doing some new housing development by the old airport. Can't be very big, though. Mueller was a small airport with not much footprint.
Yes, it's a fair amount smaller but bigger than Lowry, I believe. It sounds really nice, though. I haven't been there but know someone who lives there and based on what she's said, it seems like there is a better integration of the residential and commercial/shopping area. Even once Eastbridge is built, it won't really be walkable for me, although eventually there may be some additional commercial development to the east of where I am which would be.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:32 AM

6 posts, read 9,436 times
Job will be closer to Stapleton, it looks like. Thanks for the recommendations everyone! I appreciate the help.

Old 07-07-2016, 03:21 AM

155 posts, read 156,414 times
Quote:
Check out Stapleton, a planned community on the site of the former airport, similar to Mueller in Austin if you are familiar with that.

The northern section is just south of Commerce City. Part of Denver Public Schools but all the schools in the area are very highly rated. Very family friendly, tons of kids playing in the many parks scattered throughout. You will be closer to the $3000 side of your range but it's all new/newer construction.
I'd probably 4th this and add: Avoid Aurora if you have kids in school (check school ratings closely!). And I've never heard of anyone who wanted to live in Commerce City, so scratch that off too. Commerce City is home to the big gas refineries in the area. You have to hold your nose just driving through. I remember one of those tanks blowing up in the late 70's. I was at work and it felt like a plane crashed into the building - the tank was 12 miles away.

Old 07-07-2016, 05:53 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,417,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatanka01 View Post
I'd probably 4th this and add: Avoid Aurora if you have kids in school (check school ratings closely!). And I've never heard of anyone who wanted to live in Commerce City, so scratch that off too. Commerce City is home to the big gas refineries in the area. You have to hold your nose just driving through. I remember one of those tanks blowing up in the late 70's. I was at work and it felt like a plane crashed into the building - the tank was 12 miles away.
I would agree about the areas that feed into the Aurora public school system but the southern and southeastern parts of Aurora are very nice areas with newer construction snd beautiful views, and are part of the Cherry Creek school system.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:04 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
I would agree about the areas that feed into the Aurora public school system but the southern and southeastern parts of Aurora are very nice areas with newer construction snd beautiful views, and are part of the Cherry Creek school system.
While this may be true generally speaking, it doesn't mean those areas are appropriate for the OP since they aren't going to be that great of a commute to Commerce City. The areas that are closer to Commerce City are APS, and that's not giving OP the good schools they are looking for.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:31 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,417,131 times
Quote:
While this may be true generally speaking, it doesn't mean those areas are appropriate for the OP since they aren't going to be that great of a commute to Commerce City. The areas that are closer to Commerce City are APS, and that's not giving OP the good schools they are looking for.
Absolutely agree, though I have a neighbor who works in Commerce City and moved here from Commerce City. Sometimes I just feel the need to clarify that not all parts of Aurora are bad as a previous poster seemed to be implying.

If I were the OP I would start with Stapleton.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:12 AM

50 posts, read 56,739 times
Moved from Dallas (Frisco) in January.

Stapleton is/was NOT our idea of Colorado living. Small houses, small lots, clunky area feel, wildly overpriced.

We looked at Applewood, Green Mountain area, SE Aurora (only in Cherry Creek school district and ONLY where the schools fed into a couple high schools as there are some poorly rated schools in that district), Highlands Ranch (yech, felt like Frisco, which is one of the reasons we moved from Dallas), Golden and Littleton (near University/Arapaho due to the schools).

We skipped some of the more affordable areas due to other reasons (Arvada, Westminster, etc.). Denver county was a non starter due to some unfavorable laws and the poor schools.

My job requires me to be all over the area (from Loveland to Castle Rock to Boulder to downtown) for extended periods of time, so I wanted someplace that was reasonably convenient to all of those. We ended up just east of Morrison and it's about 40 minutes to anywhere which is a reasonable tradeoff for me since we're in a more "colorado" feel than some place like Stapleton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver