U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 10:03 PM

289 posts, read 548,782 times
monster.com and careerbuilder are pretty much infested with scams. craigslist has some good leads, but you also have to filter thru the junk. there are also some really messed up scams on cl as well...see Denver - News - Pro and Con.

temping is not bad for the immediate, as long as you can work with an agency and company that is willing to let you go interview. sometimes you can get a decent perm job out of it. i've worked with/for a number of agencies...i would recommend Office Perspectives or One Source Staffing. some of the other temp agencies will treat you like garbage, no matter how well qualified you are.

my wife landed a really good position with the City & County of Denver after working two months as an on-call clerical. The pay was awful for those two months, but she was noticed by folks within her department and offered a job that is significantly more favorable. i would recommend staying away from any on-call position in a small department or located away from the main offices on colfax. you can apply at http://agency.governmentjobs.com/denver/default.cfm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 10:32 PM

1,618 posts, read 4,290,661 times
Since I work in the purchasing field, I deal w/ vendors all day long.

If I am correct, CORPORATE EXPRESS is located in the Denver area. Last time I talked to the wonderful lady on the phone she said they are always hiring. Check them out.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:17 PM

3 posts, read 8,053 times
Default I hear YA

Yeah i have sent out about fifty resumes, like you to jobing.com, monster and pretty much anyone else that fills my inbox with crappy advertisements. I have been out of work for close to 9 months now, i WAS working for a wholesale mortgage lender, and I was a Top Producer funding over 6 million a month. I am currently in a Masters program with a 4.0 GPA. I have yet to recieve ONE callback for positions that only require high school diplomas!!! I don't know if I have been blackballed for my exposure in the lending area, NOT SUBPRIME, or what. But only three people from my former office have gotten job so far. The rest are sitting here in limbo getting FED up with recruiters who can't deliver!!!

Old 02-20-2008, 05:33 PM

15 posts, read 49,977 times
Wow, this is really discouraging. I am moving to Denver next month and I am really scared now. I will look into some temp agencies. Does anyone know any agencies with good reputation? I will have to get a job within 4 - 6 weeks, 2 months tops. I was also thinking to get a job as waitress at night while I send resumes and go to interviews during the day. I don't have much savings so I will have to figure something out.

Old 02-21-2008, 04:35 AM

20 posts, read 92,812 times
I, too, am starting to get concerned about the job search. We are moving to Denver without a job because we were told that no one will hire you if you are out of state. My husband is moving in the middle of March and I am following with our 9 month old in May. We were expecting that he could get a job quickly, but it looks like that might be an incorrect assumption. We are both accountants. Does anyone know if it is still difficult for accountants to find jobs in Denver?

Old 02-21-2008, 10:20 AM

79 posts, read 318,268 times
Just like the Caribbean cruise I had to give up (because my wife and I owe a huge amount in taxes this year), my hopes of moving to Denver in April is slowly fading away. The ramifications that are emerging as a result of our government’s careless economic policies in conjunction with public greed (from our nation’s corporations, lenders, realtors, and real estate investors) are disgusting.

Can't purchase a home because we don't make enough; can't qualify for special home buyer assistance because we make too much; owe $$$ in taxes because we have limited tax shelter (makes saving for that downpayment that much more difficult); can't relocate because companies are downsizing; and the list goes on. Talk about the the middle-class crunch... I guess, all we can do is just sit back and watch the economy crumble, taxes (or "fees") increase, forclosures rise, home prices freefall, and the slow distruction of the american family. Sorry to be so grim. This is just depressing.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:34 AM

2,973 posts, read 4,475,744 times
We moved to Denver from Michigan last July. I already had a teaching job lined up, but my boyfriend had to look for a job here. He finally found a good one, got hired, and started working around Thanksgiving.......so about 4 months or so.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:58 PM
K H

1 posts, read 1,916 times
Default I Might have the Job for you

I have a buisness that may or maynot be for you.. How can I contact you..( By phone would be great)

KH

Old 06-12-2008, 01:32 PM

300 posts, read 741,652 times
hi katy,

well....what does your resume look like? honestly. if it sorta mentions all of those things- thats why you are not getting call backs and interviews. i am an interior designer, and if you sent me your resume which said you do decor consulting and graphic design and yoga and (you get the picture) i would be vastly unimpressed since you probably arent really good at either of those things and "average" at all of them. im not trying to be harsh at all, just being totally honest with you.

try making 3 different resumes. one for yoga/health. one for administrative. one for design (lump decor, project management into one). i think your strongest shots are yoga (since you specifically said you are really good and certified), and the interiors angle- you probably arent technically "qualified" (in my eyes anyway) as an interior designer, but you can angle the project management thing and possibly get a great job doing that. PM's are in demand at design firms of all sizes and for construction companies and architecture firms. check out the local AIA listings (american institute of architects) asid listings (american society of interior designers) and the denver design center. get a really great outfit and visit these places in person, resume and calling card in hand.

also, you may want to consider teaching yoga at multiple locations. or hit up businesses that could use yoga instruction but dont yet offer it. hit up community centers. maybe, just maybe- make a business out of it. spread the word that you do at home sessions and charge accordingly. you can be like an in-home personal trainer or pilates instructor. building up a business like this can easily be done on the side when you are instructing somewhere part time.

be CREATIVE. think outside the box. refine your resume. make it look like you are specializing in one thing on each resume. look the part at all times. be prepared. you never know when the opportunity to meet with someone or hand out your resume will present itself!

Old 06-12-2008, 02:47 PM

150 posts, read 447,775 times
Talking Follow up

Wanted to do a follow up for anyone interested. I did get a job, actually I've been here now for 3 months. I'm doing project management for a small construction company in Golden. I don't love it, but it will work for now. I'm still open to new opportunities.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions though. Also, I made as many resumes for as many different professions I was interested in. My resume didn't include a mish mash of everything. When I did my graphic design resume I made it sound like graphic design was the only thing. Same goes for everything else.

Overall, I'd say I got pretty lucky. I moved here Jan 25 and was employed March 10th. I really started looking for a job around the middle of February, so a month isn't bad to land a job.

Again, thanks for all your help and if you know of anything that pops up that you think I may be interested in, let me know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver