Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 08:10 PM

256 posts, read 605,315 times

Advertisements

Are the mountains easily visible from Denver? From anywhere or just certain parts? I guess are the mountains part of Denver's skyline/part of the city in any significant way?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 08:20 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,303,340 times
Do a forum archive search on this topic (keyword: mountain views); much has been written about it, including a number of my posts.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:05 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,925,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH74 View Post
Are the mountains easily visible from Denver? From anywhere or just certain parts? I guess are the mountains part of Denver's skyline/part of the city in any significant way?
Thanks.
The mountains are easily visible if you are looking at them.

From the eastern suburbs, you get a bigger view, like a panorama; from the western suburbs, you get better resolution. Denver proper would have a mix of the two.

Mount Evans is somewhat of a focal point, it kind of watches over Denver from the southwest, 36 miles away the way the goose flies.

I can't see them from my house, and I doubt that most people could. If I go a block up to a park, I can see them, or if I go to one of the westbound main roads, I can see them there as well.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:40 AM

227 posts, read 1,008,862 times
It seems mountain views are conveniently left out of most people's price ranges.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:43 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,423,134 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/1664685-post23.html

Old 11-30-2008, 04:41 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
If you have any kind of west facing windows, you get a mountain view from most every part of the city.

Old 11-30-2008, 05:47 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,972,842 times
I personally don't think that the views in Denver Metro really live up to what most people are expecting. The views are there, and some some vantage points they can be breathtaking, but Denver is poorly situated in most parts of town to really take advantage of mountain views, not like Colorado Springs is.

To get a really great view, you really have to be on an elevated point on the plains looking downhill towards the mountains. What this means is that if you're too close to the mountains, you really won't see them at all (you'll see the foothills, not the peaks). That's why the southeast metro, despite being quite far removed from the mountains, probably has the best views you'll find. Longmont IMO has some nice views as well. Towns in or near the foothills like Boulder, Golden, or Morrison have no mountain views, but do enjoy very scenic foothills views, which are attractive in their own way.

Old 11-30-2008, 05:57 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,303,340 times
The best mountain view I've seen in all of the Denver metro area is at the corner of Smoky Hill Rd & Orchard/Himalaya in SE Aurora. Unfortunately I don't have a picture of it (I'll try to get one when I come back for winter break).

This one here is almost as good, a couple hundred feet lower in elevation, but still high enough to get a panoramic view, taken by me near Chambers & Parker two winters ago:

Having Cherry Creek SP in the foreground really helps clear up the mountain views. There are a number of condos and houses you could move into on the east edge of the park that would provide similar views.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:30 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,811,093 times
A very unique feature for many foothills residents is not only having sweeping views of the high mountain backrange views to their west, but also looking down at the city lights to the east...many with dead on premium views of the downtown denver skyscrapers...There are also some high points within the city that have amazing western mountain views...many Denver high rises have views from Pikes Peak south
to the Boulder Flat Irons..many options through out the metro...

Old 11-30-2008, 08:33 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
A very unique feature for many foothills residents is not only having sweeping views of the high mountain backrange views to their west, but also looking down at the city lights to the east...many with dead on premium views of the downtown denver skyscrapers...There are also some high points within the city that have amazing western mountain views...many Denver high rises have views from Pikes Peak south
to the Boulder Flat Irons..many options through out the metro...
This is true. I live in Louisville, and I can see the FlatIrons and Pike's Peak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver