Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 11:35 PM

111 posts, read 110,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrabbit View Post
how is it even legal to force applicants to submit private information like incomes etc.? It doesn't seem right. I've always thought a credit and background check were the normal protocol? We are moving to the golden area next year, and won't have us based income statements or job history, but money isn't an issue. This worries me!

amen!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousMiscer View Post
So minimum of $7500/month income.... to rent a simple/lowly apartment?!? What is this, the Twilight Zone? What have we come to?

This bubble is just getting out of hand, we desperately need a more "popular" state such as California, Texas, or New York to legalize weed and therefore siphon off/divert a lot of these transplants and pothead types - the lack of inventory/lack of vacancy around here is just BAD and not getting better anytime soon. We really need some relief from these unbelievably/artificially high housing costs.

I think given the choice of say, Cali and Denver - assuming both have legal weed - most of these indulgers would opt for the former. Right now, due to the "central" location plus the legal weed thing, Colorado is "edging out" the few other legal states (Washington, etc) and the result is the giant FLOOD of people we've experienced here (.... and resultant higher rents).

I agree with that most recent poster above ^ : the nay-sayers assume we are talking about the usual low-income, shaggy-haired "loser" type potheads, but as we have seen.... pothead types come in all sizes, flavors, and income-levels, and the high-income types figure into the COL equation *just* as much.
Yes trying to rent something here is worse than in the bigger cities, and I lived both in the east and west coast. But I am in CO so I guess need to follow the rules like or not. its just so overwhelming, im so frustrated. Renting a place should be a fun experience, urgh Lord give me patience

Old 07-28-2016, 11:47 PM

3,407 posts, read 4,627,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphagifted View Post
@ nick4242

I just called CORNERSTONE Management as you suggested, they have chnage the rules now they require the following:

You need to make 5 times rent (Their apartments are $1500 and up)
Income tax from the last 3 years
Last 3 pay stub
Basically, make an income of $100k+ a year. That's unrealistic for some people.

Old 07-29-2016, 12:14 AM

191 posts, read 230,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Basically, make an income of $100k+ a year. That's unrealistic for most people.
Fixed

$100k required income for the "privilege" of renting a (overpriced) unit in one of the many aging, outdated, creaky, run-down 70s-era apartment buildings around Denver.... pffftt, get outta here with that

In a city like LA or NYC housing is expensive too, but at least in those places you "get something" in return for your money (oceans, scenery/eye candy, plenty of things to do, etc). Here it just seems housing costs are always rising, while everything else stays the same/boring.

Old 07-29-2016, 03:39 AM

556 posts, read 762,689 times
Quote:
Fixed

$100k required income for the "privilege" of renting a (overpriced) unit in one of the many aging, outdated, creaky, run-down 70s-era apartment buildings around Denver.... pffftt, get outta here with that

In a city like LA or NYC housing is expensive too, but at least in those places you "get something" in return for your money (oceans, scenery/eye candy, plenty of things to do, etc). Here it just seems housing costs are always rising, while everything else stays the same/boring.
There is plenty to do here in Denver. While the rent prices may be high let's not just dismiss what Denver has to offer as a city. Some would even go as far as preferring Denver to LA ir NYC as crazy as that might sound to you.

Old 07-29-2016, 06:54 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyatwork37 View Post
There is plenty to do here in Denver. While the rent prices may be high let's not just dismiss what Denver has to offer as a city. Some would even go as far as preferring Denver to LA ir NYC as crazy as that might sound to you.
I'd ignore Curious. I have a feeling he's the user formerly known as Dan7819. Thinks marijuana is the catalyst for all of Denver's ills and wants to move to somewhere in Florida (talk about irony).

Old 07-29-2016, 08:49 AM

204 posts, read 201,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Ski View Post
^ While I mostly agree...that is ignoring the working professionals who also consume. In the tech field, I would say that 2/3 of the people in my office consume. Even the high ups and managers. It's not fair to assume that the people moving here for legalization are only the ones with no skills or money. I live next to a senior engineer, some big wig at a health firm making 180K, and a doctor...all moved here 2 years ago, and always are sitting out back smoking every night.

If anything, legalization put Denver on the map, and it gives people one more thing to consider.

If you have a job offer in Atlanta, SF, Chicago, or Denver, and you are in your 20s looking for something new, legalization (and mountains!) is just that extra selling point. So legalization and COL is not 1:1 in this situation, but you can't say it has no impact whatsoever.
I agree completely. It's surprising the type of people that use. I've known plenty of people with good jobs that like to relax in the evenings with some weed. Me, I've never tried the stuff and have no desire to. I moved here for the mountains/outdoor fun and the weather.

Old 07-29-2016, 12:46 PM

Oh yes when i was giving the list of items required by the leasing offices i wasnt talking about new complex, we are talking about really old minimal maintenance (crack on walls, old painting, cheap repairs etc) and my frustration continues.... im seriously considering to move somewhere far from Denver, maybe buildings/landlords there are friendlier?

I feel like finding a place to live in CO is a full time job =-/

Lord, give me patience and give me to me NOW!

Old 07-29-2016, 08:50 PM

191 posts, read 230,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphagifted View Post
Oh yes when i was giving the list of items required by the leasing offices i wasnt talking about new complex, we are talking about really old minimal maintenance (crack on walls, old painting, cheap repairs etc) and my frustration continues.... im seriously considering to move somewhere far from Denver, maybe buildings/landlords there are friendlier?

I feel like finding a place to live in CO is a full time job =-/

Lord, give me patience and give me to me NOW!
I guess you could say I "lucked out", I locked down my current apartment in 2010 and I've been here ever since. Thankfully management never bothered me ever again w/ any demands for paperwork etc..... which is good since I went thru a layoff in late 2012 and was unemployed 2013.

I cant IMAGINE trying to hunt for an apartment in post-weed 2016 Denver, I feel for you

If you absolutely MUST live in Colorado, I guess you could try a more rural location or lesser-known areas such as Colorado Springs. The potheads and out-siders have overwhelmingly flooded into Denver mainly, that's why it's almost impossible to find affordable housing right now (limited amount of housing + huge influx of outsiders = no places to rent, very high rents, or both).

Old 07-30-2016, 04:48 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,611,363 times
Quote:
I guess you could say I "lucked out", I locked down my current apartment in 2010 and I've been here ever since. Thankfully management never bothered me ever again w/ any demands for paperwork etc..... which is good since I went thru a layoff in late 2012 and was unemployed 2013.

I cant IMAGINE trying to hunt for an apartment in post-weed 2016 Denver, I feel for you

If you absolutely MUST live in Colorado, I guess you could try a more rural location or lesser-known areas such as Colorado Springs. The potheads and out-siders have overwhelmingly flooded into Denver mainly, that's why it's almost impossible to find affordable housing right now (limited amount of housing + huge influx of outsiders = no places to rent, very high rents, or both).
Again, please provide proof that pot is the reason for the lack up rentals, not anecdotal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver