Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 08:25 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,552,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Not at the same time. Those are daily maximums.

It is 100% humidity in the middle of the night when it is 74°. Hence a dewpoint of 75°

It is 56% humidity at mid-day when the temperature is 93°

This is not too different from Austin, TX.

Humidity on the ground is often 50-60% when it is hot and raining outside.
I've learned something new regarding the daily swings in the humidity numbers. While it's academically interesting, the livability of said weather is what's important. After 4 days in Raleigh, I can conclusively say I don't need to ever go back in the summertime.

I have never been to Austin in the summer, it's very nice in the spring, but if it is remotely like Raleigh is in July, Denver is easily worth 15% more in my mind. YMMV. If you hate snow more than hot summers, Raleigh or Austin would certainly be preferable. Raleigh does have some stunning greenery compared to either.

I thought it was great for me to get the perspective of going from some of our country's most extreme desert heat in Vegas to some of our most extreme humid heat back to back. While Denver is easily more bearable than either, the dry heat of the desert is better. Especially if you don't like bugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 08:54 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,695,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I've learned something new regarding the daily swings in the humidity numbers. While it's academically interesting, the livability of said weather is what's important. After 4 days in Raleigh, I can conclusively say I don't need to ever go back in the summertime.

I have never been to Austin in the summer, it's very nice in the spring, but if it is remotely like Raleigh is in July, Denver is easily worth 15% more in my mind. YMMV. If you hate snow more than hot summers, Raleigh or Austin would certainly be preferable. Raleigh does have some stunning greenery compared to either.

I thought it was great for me to get the perspective of going from some of our country's most extreme desert heat in Vegas to some of our most extreme humid heat back to back. While Denver is easily more bearable than either, the dry heat of the desert is better. Especially if you don't like bugs.
Summer in Austin is very heavy. I actually felt it was worse than Raleigh, humidity-wise.

There are areas of both cities that I think are absolutely gorgeous, but the humidity is just too much for me to spend extended periods of time in either place in the spring/summer.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:39 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,462,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Summer in Austin is very heavy. I actually felt it was worse than Raleigh, humidity-wise.

There are areas of both cities that I think are absolutely gorgeous, but the humidity is just too much for me to spend extended periods of time in either place in the spring/summer.
I was born in TX, spent 10 years there.....would not move back.

I've lived-in the south east in ATL and parts near Raleigh and the only spot I like is Asheville/Boone NC. Id move there in a heartbeat. Blacksburg VA is really nice area as well. But there is not much economy outside tourism in those spots so thats why they're so nice! I can't handle the southern heat...or any heat for the matter.

There are parts of OR, WA, ME, and MI I think all are as good or better than CO....just depends on what you want.

Old 08-08-2016, 03:56 PM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 1,193,038 times
I think what it really boils down to is if you really care about humidity or not. And possibly pro sports. Because Austin (and most of Texas for that matter) is more humid than average. And they don't have pro sports teams as of now. However, Austin tends to make up for that in other ways, including food, night life, and the arts & entertainment scene.

Climate used to be a big deal to me. And summer used to be my favorite season. But that has changed so much in the last few years. I don't know if it's because Denver has just become so much more hot during the summers or because I've just grown less tolerant to the heat. Maybe it's a little bit of both. But I find that the summers here can be a bit unbearable due to the intensity of the sun and heat. If I do any sort of physical activity, I usually have to do it in the mornings or indoors, otherwise it's not happening. This summer has been pretty brutal IMO.

Old 08-08-2016, 06:25 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,304,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQL View Post
I think what it really boils down to is if you really care about humidity or not. And possibly pro sports. Because Austin (and most of Texas for that matter) is more humid than average. And they don't have pro sports teams as of now. However, Austin tends to make up for that in other ways, including food, night life, and the arts & entertainment scene.

Climate used to be a big deal to me. And summer used to be my favorite season. But that has changed so much in the last few years. I don't know if it's because Denver has just become so much more hot during the summers or because I've just grown less tolerant to the heat. Maybe it's a little bit of both. But I find that the summers here can be a bit unbearable due to the intensity of the sun and heat. If I do any sort of physical activity, I usually have to do it in the mornings or indoors, otherwise it's not happening. This summer has been pretty brutal IMO.
This summer has without a doubt been much hotter than the previous 2 summers, which I would say were much cooler than normal. However, when comparing to all at the previous years I can remember, the heat this summer is normal. Some years are hotter, some years are a little cooler, some years are rainier, but intense summers like this (and sometimes even hotter-- with temps breaking into the upper 90s and even low 100s) are very common. I feel the same as you-- I am really starting to hate summer and welcome the cooler temperatures hopefully coming soon as summer winds down.

Old 08-08-2016, 07:04 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,228,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
This summer has without a doubt been much hotter than the previous 2 summers, which I would say were much cooler than normal. However, when comparing to all at the previous years I can remember, the heat this summer is normal. Some years are hotter, some years are a little cooler, some years are rainier, but intense summers like this (and sometimes even hotter-- with temps breaking into the upper 90s and even low 100s) are very common. I feel the same as you-- I am really starting to hate summer and welcome the cooler temperatures hopefully coming soon as summer winds down.
It is so funny, because I echo you guys exactly. I am in my early 30s. This summer has been hot and dry, but it has felt more intense to me than they used to. I lived in Chicago from Fall 2013 to Fall 2015, so maybe I got used to the more humid summers with less intense sunlight? I remember that in my early to mid 20s, I LOVED the heat and could be content sitting out by the pool in the direct sunlight all day, but these days, I find it a bit draining. I am already looking forward to the cooler fall weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: