U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 09:46 PM

13 posts, read 43,820 times
Wink Affordable places to live in Denver area

Hi. I was wondering if you can tell me some affordable places (200k-ish) to live in the Denver area. Does anyone know anything about Harvey Park? I heard the housing prices are good. We rent a house in the Wash Park area, but need something bigger and this area is too expensive (but nice!) to buy. I'm a stay at home mom and would like somewhere that is family oriented, where shopping is close by and parks/trails are nearby. Also, it would be great to be in close proximity to a light rail/bus station. We are very spoiled here in Wash Park as we are so close to everything. However, we just can't afford to buy here and don't think we would as you don't get a lot for your money. Any info would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 10:14 PM

8,511 posts, read 18,464,775 times
Harvey Park is a very nice neighborhod with older ranch style houses.

I have been looking at $190,000 to $225,000 homes since December in southern Aurora (near 9 mile) Parker, Littleton and Centennial. There are some very nice homes on the market right now, priced well, and in good condition.

Do you want to stay in Denver?

Old 02-21-2008, 03:18 PM

4,267 posts, read 2,890,664 times
Check out Old Englewood. I can walk to several parks including Harvard Gulch Park, the lightrail station, the library, restaurants, live music venues, bowling alley and we paid under $200,000 for our home. It's a small house but still. There are lots of homes even cheaper then ours, especially if you don't find a fixer upper. It amazes me that S Denver is so expensive but just a few blocks away in Englewood it is so cheap. I'm very happy we ended up here.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:18 PM

8 posts, read 142,091 times
i live in california and will be relocating to Denver in two months, can someone please tell me the best place to live. i dont care about how expensive the neighbourhood may be. i just want a beautiful area, close to the city. thanks.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:59 PM

355 posts, read 339,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilila View Post
i live in california and will be relocating to Denver in two months, can someone please tell me the best place to live. i dont care about how expensive the neighbourhood may be. i just want a beautiful area, close to the city. thanks.
Do you know where you will be working? What style of house, how many bedrooms? Do you want to be close to light rail?

Old 11-09-2008, 06:25 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,878,659 times
I'd keep renting. 200k does not buy much in the Denver proper area and when it does you lose out on schools.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:29 PM

8 posts, read 142,091 times
i live in california and will be relocating to Denver in two months, can someone please tell me the best place to live. i dont care about how expensive the neighbourhood may be. i just want a very beautiful and quiet area, close to the city. thanks.

2-3bedroom apartment close to a mall and light rail. with the following amenities

• Broadband Internet Access
• Business Center Onsite
• Cable or Satellite
• Carpet
• Cats Allowed
• Ceiling Fan
• Club House
• Courtyard
• Air Conditioning
• Dishwasher
• Fireplace
• Fitness Center
• Freeway Access
• Garages
• Garbage Disposal
• Internet Access
• Microwave
• Patio or Balcony
• Pool
• Vaulted Ceiling
• View
• Walk In Closets
• Washer Dryer In Unit
• Window Covering

please help me get an apartment. i have to be there in two months. Thank you.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:28 PM

8,511 posts, read 18,464,775 times
We need more information to help you. Are you coming for work? Where will that be?

Sounds like you are looking for a hotel. Look for a new or newer apt complex for all that fluff.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:45 PM

4,749 posts, read 8,330,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodi View Post
Check out Old Englewood. I can walk to several parks including Harvard Gulch Park, the lightrail station, the library, restaurants, live music venues, bowling alley and we paid under $200,000 for our home. It's a small house but still. There are lots of homes even cheaper then ours, especially if you don't find a fixer upper. It amazes me that S Denver is so expensive but just a few blocks away in Englewood it is so cheap. I'm very happy we ended up here.
This is very good advice. This area of Englewood has some good values, nice convenient neighborhoods and good options for public transportation. Yodi said she can walk to Harvard Gulch Park which is in Denver. This is one of my favorite parks in Denver. The area around it is...just comfortable and has more of a suburban feel than urban.

Yodi must live just on the edge of Englewood where it meets Denver. So you have the good economy of Englewood while at the same time have access to some great facilities in very nice areas of Denver.

That area around Harvard Gulch park is a very nice area with some good homes that also can be a good value, zip code 80210, Rosedale Neighborhood of Denver. You are near some very good hospitals--Porter on Downing, Swedish in Englewood and close to the University of Denver. In addition, you are near some wealthy neighborhoods.

I have been in this area often and I think it is a safe area to live.

Livecontent

Old 11-12-2008, 10:09 PM

4,749 posts, read 8,330,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflowers00 View Post
Hi. I was wondering if you can tell me some affordable places (200k-ish) to live in the Denver area. Does anyone know anything about Harvey Park? I heard the housing prices are good. We rent a house in the Wash Park area, but need something bigger and this area is too expensive (but nice!) to buy. I'm a stay at home mom and would like somewhere that is family oriented, where shopping is close by and parks/trails are nearby. Also, it would be great to be in close proximity to a light rail/bus station. We are very spoiled here in Wash Park as we are so close to everything. However, we just can't afford to buy here and don't think we would as you don't get a lot for your money. Any info would be great!
Living next to a commuter rail station would be great. You could buy near a new station that would be built, get a good value and see your home appreciate when the station is/maybe/perhaps/possibly completed Or, you can look at the already established stations and pick a home nearby.

I have been to all the station and some of the stations that already exist can still be a good value and are family oriented.

My recommendation would be to look at areas around the Yale Station on the Southeast Line. There are some reasonably priced homes in and around that station, especially Yale just west of I-25 toward Broadway. This would be a nice area with shopping along Broadway and access to good bus service on Broadway and of course the rail station at Yale.

Another station area on the Southeast Line I like is the Southmoor Station, which is off of Hampden and Monaco. Nice area but the homes will be more costly.

You can also try some older developments in Centennial west of the station on Dry Creek; perhaps along Arapahoe and near University.

I do like areas around the Englewood Station on the Southwest Line which you can find some good values in homes and good convenient proximity to shopping and Swedish Hospital. In addition, old Littleton, a little more costly, but you may find some nice homes in the area east of the Station to Broadway.

i live in a neighborhood in Arvada that looks like it is more definite to get a station along the Gold Line.

If you want to try suburbia, you can pick a area around the west line in Lakewood. which is now be constructed. and will be the first Fastracks line open. There are some good older neighborhoods near the coming stations that can also be good values and you will not have long to wait for the line to be completed. I like the area near the Garrison station or Oak Station because it is very quiet and not too far from shopping on West Colfax.

livecontent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver