Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 02:26 PM

386 posts, read 1,690,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
sounds eerily familiar to LA
What do you expect when half of Colorado seems to be from SoCal? lol. The reasons California is the way it is are fairly applicable to Colorado, too. Fortunately, I don't think it's too late for Colorado to have a little foresight and ensure it doesn't become the next California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 02:29 PM

386 posts, read 1,690,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobyLL View Post
WestCoDude -- that is completely unnecessary. tfox asked a reasonable question. You can disagree all you want with her opinion, but you do not need to become insulting. There are several great posters here on the Denver forum, but I think an argument could be made that tfox does more to inform people in a helpful, reasonable manner than anyone. She does not deserve to have insults hurled her way.
It wasn't mean insultingly.

But...for the record...I know much, much more about Denver than I do about St. Louis. I'm a native Coloradan, in fact. And simply disagreeing with Hickenlooper doesn't mean you're not a REAL Denverite. lol.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:17 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,955,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoDude View Post
I know that SOME arts funding is metro-wide...and so is mass transit. But there are numerous projects--particularly LoDo redevelopment, Stapleton, etc. which ARE taxable to Denver proper. Hickenlooper is trying to create a city centered around the so-called "Creative Class" and, by all indications, he's been fairly successful. The problem is that cities like that don't last. You need taxes to support them and that essentially pushes out the middle class and families. Denver is creating a top-heavy economy that relies upon illegal immigrants to service the wealthy. It has effectively demolished the middle class.
There's some truth to the contention that rising property values are pushing the middle class out of Denver -- I've seen this myself and it's probably one of the biggest challenges Denver faces right now. That said, I'm still totally confused with where you're going on your claims about Denver taxes, but I think the facts speak for themselves on that point.

As for this whole "city-versus-the-suburbs" business, it's a bit discouraging, actually, to continue to hear remnants of that bad old rivalry that should have been banished a decade ago. I think one of the strongest metrics of metropolitan dysfunction is the level of cooperation (or lack thereof) between city and suburbs. When you have an antagonistic relationship (example: Detroit) you have a broken and declining metro area. When the relationship is healthy, as it generally is in Denver, it leads to a win-win. Like it or not, in the metro area we're all on a train together, and Denver is the locomotive of that train. As Denver goes, so go the 'burbs and vice-versa.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:40 PM

26,168 posts, read 48,881,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
As for this whole "city-versus-the-suburbs" business, it's a bit discouraging, actually, to continue to hear remnants of that bad old rivalry that should have been banished a decade ago.

I think one of the strongest metrics of metropolitan dysfunction is the level of cooperation (or lack thereof) between city and suburbs. When you have an antagonistic relationship (example: Detroit) you have a broken and declining metro area. When the relationship is healthy, as it generally is in Denver, it leads to a win-win. Like it or not, in the metro area we're all on a train together, and Denver is the locomotive of that train. As Denver goes, so go the 'burbs and vice-versa.
Amen on both points. Nuff said about urbanism vs suburbanism. Relative to metro area cooperation, we did NOT have that back in the DC metro area. What we had were two states (MD & VA) that hated each other and went out of their way to be antagonistic and uncooperative. The city of Washington, DC was in the middle, always broke (thanks to Congress) - with a laughable city government (Marion Barry, et al). Further, the individual counties in each state played beggar thy neighbor by using deliberate zoning games to push population growth to the next county further out (read that as young couples with kid$ needing school$ being built). The result is a total me$$, especially the traffic. That's why we came here. If Denver managed to pull off regional harmony and effort, that is a MAJOR accomplishment which is not to be taken lightly - at all.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:01 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,726,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
There's some truth to the contention that rising property values are pushing the middle class out of Denver -- I've seen this myself and it's probably one of the biggest challenges Denver faces right now. That said, I'm still totally confused with where you're going on your claims about Denver taxes, but I think the facts speak for themselves on that point.
well, considering what i see as similar wages(maybe a tad lower) in the denver area compared to OC/LA, the properties are still 1/2 to 1/3 as much from my recent searchings in these areas. the middle class still has it much better than every major city in CA(and coastal hubs like portland and seattle) while still having a western feel, good wages, plenty of educated folk, and good schools(which is not the case in various degrees in other less-expensive western towns like vegas, las cruces, albequerque, etc). i imagine the californians that have already relocated have seen the same things that i have in my search to own a good home for a family at a reasonable price.

basically, denver sticks out to me because it gives me almost everything i have already in so cal without the constant heat and with infinitely more affordable real estate

Old 02-25-2008, 08:37 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,475,124 times
Quote:
If Denver managed to pull off regional harmony and effort, that is a MAJOR accomplishment which is not to be taken lightly - at all.
As my British friend would say, "too true". People on other forums are amazead that we have regional support for the cultural and scientific facilities, a widespread mass transit system, etc.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:10 AM

20 posts, read 61,648 times
Wow. I am so confused! I am just not seeing it. We live in Green Valley Ranch in Denver, we live on the North side of the golfcourse, and it is a close-knit community, we love our neighbors. We go for walks at night and cook-outs the people are so friendly. I am not quite understanding where the word "next slum" fits in as some have mentioned GVR comes to mind. We have had absolutely no problems, we have lived there for almost 3 years. The houses up the street from us are more than $350k and I don't understand how that could turn into a slum. And NO, I am NOT a real-estate agent or related to anyone who works in construction or GVR!!! People are quick to negatively judge GVR while there are other parts of Denver that are much worse in crime - just recently Castle Rock of all places. What am I missing? Is ignorance bliss, have I just been lucky to have not had a bad experience or what am I missing?

Old 06-30-2008, 10:55 AM

3,556 posts, read 10,200,575 times
When it becomes too expensive to travel the distance between work and home... it will be unprobable that it will remain how it is today. Although slum I think is a bit off... I'd say... desolate waste-land.

You might want to look into solar/wind and the Chevy Volt.

J/k I think it will survive, but the infrastructure will need to change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver