Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 09:41 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,550,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdenver View Post
This isn't a thing. Some of the best walkable (and desirable/expensive) neighborhoods are in the area surrounding central downtown (Baker, Washington Park, City Park) but also more transients, denser area, and thus more crime. Violent crime against people is rare, but there's a need to protect against opportunistic property crime more so than the far burbs where you really could leave a garage door open all night without worry. - things like car break-ins, theft from garages, etc.

Agree with others nail down a place of work first and look for neighborhood based on that.
Exactly. I live in a very desirable, walkable area of Denver. I wouldn't leave my garage door open. It's a city, not Mayberry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 08:11 AM

22 posts, read 29,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
If you end up at DIA, you might consider Wheat Ridge or Golden near I-70. It's not a great commute but at least it's a straight shot on the highway. The Highlands neighborhood just northwest of downtown would be even better but more expensive. You won't be getting a house/townhouse for that price but could probably find a decent 1BR. It you end working in Centennial / Littleton don't even consider those areas. The commute is nightmare on I-25. You'd be better off living in Morrison and taking 470 to work. It's a great area in the foothills but still close to the city
Wheat ridge seems like it'd be a good spot, I feel like Golden may be a little too far if I end up at the airport. How's traffic on the 70 near downtown? Is that a bottleneck zone?
Is the Littleton/Centennial area bad solely because of the 25? Or is it a less desirable place to live?

I think I could budge a little on my monthly, but I'd rather not. My plan is to rent for the first year and then buy a house once I really get a feel for the place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Walkable to restaurants and bars and safe to leave your garage door open all day are pretty much mutually exclusive in my experience. The type of population density required to support a walkable commercial district close to residential housing generally means there will be petty/property crimes because of the sheer numbers of people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdenver View Post
This isn't a thing. Some of the best walkable (and desirable/expensive) neighborhoods are in the area surrounding central downtown (Baker, Washington Park, City Park) but also more transients, denser area, and thus more crime. Violent crime against people is rare, but there's a need to protect against opportunistic property crime more so than the far burbs where you really could leave a garage door open all night without worry. - things like car break-ins, theft from garages, etc.

Agree with others nail down a place of work first and look for neighborhood based on that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Exactly. I live in a very desirable, walkable area of Denver. I wouldn't leave my garage door open. It's a city, not Mayberry.
Yeah, now that I think about it you guys are right. I'd just hate to have to go into lockdown if I needed to go inside to drop a log or something lol! I spend a lot of time in the garage and I'm usually in & out of the house a lot. I'll put those neighborhoods on my map though.

Typically, What directions are better than others from downtown? N/S/E/W?
Even if i could ride my bike to the downtown area I'd be happy.

The good news is all the places I could potentially work at are ~equidistant to downtown in various directions. So if I could stick around the surrounding areas I should (hopefully) be in good shape.

P.S. Thanks for all the input! You guys are helping a ton!

Old 09-20-2016, 08:49 AM

17,708 posts, read 29,800,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattayom View Post
if I end up at the airport.
Quote:
I'm 25 & I work in Aerospace.
I am confused.
What does aerospace have to do with DIA?

Old 09-20-2016, 09:52 AM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 1,192,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I am confused.
I wonder if OP works for an airline, and considers that "Aerospace".

Also, how do you know what your budget is before you even receive a job here?

Old 09-20-2016, 10:05 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,693,060 times
Quote:
I'm 25 & I work in Aerospace. I've decided to give Denver a shot since I currently hate where I am now, so I started applying to some jobs around the area. I can't say specifically where I'll end up working, but I don't mind driving 30-45 minutes to work. What I can say, is that the places I'm applying at are located just south of Littleton, Centennial airport area, Broomfield area, and of course, the Int'l airport.

My budget is $1500/month max for rent. I don't want to be downtown where I have to park a half mile down the street but I don't want to be too far away from activity either. I'd like a place that's walk-able to restaurants/bars, somewhere that has low crime rates like where people can leave their garage doors open all day without worry.
I also like hiking & boarding, and I don't know -realistically- how long it takes to get from, say, the east side of Aurora to the mountains, but I'd like to be able to get to there in a reasonable amount of time..

So with all that in mind could anyone suggest some areas where I might find like a townhouse or a small single family home?

Any help is appreciated!
OK, I know where you are applying, worked there for a while, lived in a couple of places not too far of a commute. Aside from your rental budget being low (unless you rent as a housemate with one or two other people), there is no place in Denver metro where people can leave their garage doors open all day without worry. Some Highlands Ranch residents were doing just that and found out that making things easy for criminals is stupid. The police blotters had plenty of incidents involving garages left open. Just because it isn't in the "inner city" doesn't mean it is crime-free. Some of the thefts pointed clearly to local perpetrators (i.e., kids living in the neighborhood). You just never know.

In the farther reaches, leaving garage doors open all day also invites unwanted 4-legged traffic...raccoons, skunks, loose cats, pack rats, mice, insects, nesting birds, possibly foxes. AND even those more rural areas still have human criminal intrusions. Our detached garage was broken into, one vehicle damaged when the criminal tried to start it without a key, and a lot of stuff was stolen. Turned to be part of a big rash of nearly-identical crimes occurring within a 15-mile radius, and it was connected with a coke and meth drug ring. Fortunately, that rash died off. But it can happen anywhere, anytime.

Last edited by pikabike; 09-20-2016 at 10:13 AM..

Old 09-20-2016, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I am confused.
The company the OP refers to has offices in other places besides its main campus. One of those offices is in Aurora.

Old 09-20-2016, 11:57 AM

135 posts, read 153,518 times
Quote:
Wheat ridge seems like it'd be a good spot, I feel like Golden may be a little too far if I end up at the airport. How's traffic on the 70 near downtown? Is that a bottleneck zone?
Is the Littleton/Centennial area bad solely because of the 25? Or is it a less desirable place to live?
Yeah, traffic on Interstate 70 isn't awful coming from the west until you hit downtown. Then it could be backed up from 25 to colorado blvd or even quebec if you're lucky. Littleton/Centennial area is a fine area, except it is where the Denver Tech Center is. Therefore, if you're traveling from downtown to centennial airport, you are going to hit both the worst parts of Denver Traffic. (Downtown and DTC) I wouldn't call it a less desirable place to live for everyone. I certainly wouldn't want to live down there though.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:48 PM

22 posts, read 29,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQL View Post
I wonder if OP works for an airline, and considers that "Aerospace".

Also, how do you know what your budget is before you even receive a job here?
I've worked at multiple MRO facilities, I worked for a defense contractor that built and operated UAV's, and now I work at a place that designs and builds reusable rocket engines.
= Aerospace

That budget is based off of my current salary and expenses, which will most likely improve with the new job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
OK, I know where you are applying, worked there for a while, lived in a couple of places not too far of a commute.
Which places were those?

Quote:
Our detached garage was broken into, one vehicle damaged when the criminal tried to start it without a key, and a lot of stuff was stolen. Turned to be part of a big rash of nearly-identical crimes occurring within a 15-mile radius, and it was connected with a coke and meth drug ring. Fortunately, that rash died off. But it can happen anywhere, anytime.
Sorry to hear that. See that's the type of stuff I'm trying to avoid. I have a lot of expensive tools and a new truck that I'd like to keep.. You're right about how it can happen anywhere, but I know certain places can be more susceptible to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajr1995 View Post
Yeah, traffic on Interstate 70 isn't awful coming from the west until you hit downtown. Then it could be backed up from 25 to colorado blvd or even quebec if you're lucky. Littleton/Centennial area is a fine area, except it is where the Denver Tech Center is. Therefore, if you're traveling from downtown to centennial airport, you are going to hit both the worst parts of Denver Traffic. (Downtown and DTC) I wouldn't call it a less desirable place to live for everyone. I certainly wouldn't want to live down there though.
Alright, I'm starting to get a good picture of it. Doesn't sound as bad as I would have imagined. Would it be safe to say that it seems like If it comes to working in the east, a happy medium would be like the west edge of Park Hill?

Old 09-20-2016, 04:16 PM

OP, you must be from CA, based on your terminology for highways.

I sent you a private msg with location info.

Old 09-20-2016, 07:30 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,028,250 times
People that move from somewhere almost always tell people where they moved to how its done in X city. Avoid the temptation, and work to understand the place, people and history so that you can get a local perspective. Treat others how you want to be treated or how they want to be treated. You will do fine where ever you live. We want to be here so make the best of it. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver