Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 12:34 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,942,261 times

Advertisements

I barely make it on my salary, but I'll be the first to admit I lead a less-than-frugal lifestyle. (New Year's Resolution to work on that!!) I have a car payment, insurance, rent, phone, cable, etc. Plus my BF and I go out to eat at least once a week and out for drinks a few times. I almost live pay check to pay check, however, I also put away money in savings and in a 403B account.

I have never worked another job while teaching, but am thinking of getting a part-time bartending gig this summer to make some extra cash
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 05:27 PM

11 posts, read 90,001 times
Smile What's the best way for a teacher to get into the Denver school system?

I'm an elementary teacher in Florida and am interested in relocating to Denver. How does the Denver School Board work? Do you interview with the central office and then get placed into a school the bureaucrats choose? In our district we are at the mercy of the board. We can be sent anywhere-- even if its 25+ miles away! (And no supplement is given for added mileage.) The key here is to sub, have some connections or get lucky. How is it in Denver? Thanks for any replies

Old 01-13-2008, 08:36 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,685,665 times
I have never heard of teachers being placed wherever the school district chooses in Colorado. I am on the western slope of Colorado, but I interviewed for my position with the school. I have a friend who works in Aurora, CO and she interviewed for her job at the school. I am pretty sure most, if not all, of Colorado operates this way. I know you have to apply with the school district, but then the schools pull applications and it is up to them to interview. It helps to know someone in the district, but it is not your only in. I would suggest going to one of the large education fairs that usually happen in the spring. Good luck on find a teaching position in Colorado!

Old 01-13-2008, 11:00 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
I would also suggest applying to as many places as possible. Teaching positions are very competitive here, hundreds of applicants for every job.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:10 AM

11 posts, read 90,001 times
Thanks for the great news!!! It's so good to be able to interview at the school with the principal instead. Thanks for your replies.

Old 01-20-2008, 02:56 PM

39 posts, read 128,696 times
Default How hard is it to get a job with Denver Public Schools?

Hi, I am wondering if anyone has info on the school systems in and around Denver. I am a MD certified teacher looking to relocate there this summer and I want to know how difficult is it to get a teaching position. Especailly, I want to know if the Denver Public Schools are hiring a lot of new teachers and is it very competitive to get a position with them? Also, what is the overall reputation of this school system? Any other observations or advice re teaching jobs around Denver is welcome! Thanks to all!

Old 01-20-2008, 02:59 PM

Default forgot to proofread!

sorry I'm a teacher and should know better...I meant to write "especially"!!!

Old 01-20-2008, 04:07 PM

It's competitive. There are many threads about this topic (perhaps a merged thread might be in order, Mike?) Try this one for a start, and do a search for teachers/teaching/Denver/Colorado, etc.

Would-be transplant teacher

Old 01-20-2008, 04:34 PM

Thanks, Mike!

Old 01-26-2008, 05:19 PM

Default out of state certificate

Thanks a ton, Pittnurse, for all your posts, your info is invaluable!! Are you a a teacher? Here´s my other question...is it possible to be hired with DPS with an out of state teaching certificate and then work towards getting the CO teaching certificate that first year of teaching with DPS?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver