Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 10:43 AM

70 posts, read 128,985 times

Advertisements

We could be relocated to the area with my husband’s job within a year which entails looking after a handful of stores in the Denver area. I've posted a similar post on other city boards of possible places but CO just recently came up and would be our absolute first choice!

We are coming from a suburb of Dallas with great schools, pretty affordable living (except high property taxes) and good shopping. I’m in the travel/hospitality industry and it fits nicely here, since we are only 10 minutes form DFW airport. We would be looking for a home preferably $200-$300k, 3 bedroom in semi- suburban living with a little bit of space on the lot size would be ideal but most importantly, a safe area with a good high school-we would have an incoming junior. The home doesn't have to be huge, I think 1800-2000 sq ft would be fine with a nice backyard for our 3 dogs.

A mortgage payment of less than $2000/mth would be ideal as I might not be working right away. We would project my husband's new salary around $115k - We gross about that now here together. While I would prefer not to go back working full time if I don't have to - I certainly would if I do have to. Does that make sense?

I've heard property taxes are low in CO - is that statewide or only in certain areas? Here we pay about 2.5%

A community with a lot of local and cultural "flair" would be great, maybe a place with a charming, safe, walkable downtown area.

My daughter and I are more the tree-hugging, vegan, hippie type so we would love good food shopping and restaurants in the area as well.

What are your thoughts? Thank you in advance for the feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 12:52 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,436,540 times
Property taxes are about .8 to 1.2% of assessed value. Assessments happen in May of odd years.

Most of Denver is suburban in nature.

Where will work be?

Old 10-13-2016, 01:05 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,559,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Property taxes are about .8 to 1.2% of assessed value. Assessments happen in May of odd years.

Where will work be?
Is that right? My tax bill was .62% of what they called "actual value." If you add the actual and assessed together, I was at .58%. I'm not sure exactly how they calculate.

The funny thing too is I think they overvalued my improvements and under valued my land, but the total number was about right.

For the OP, your housing budget is very low by Denver standards. $200K will get you something that's going to make you cry compared to Dallas.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 10-13-2016 at 01:13 PM..

Old 10-13-2016, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post

Where will work be?
There are several stores my husband will drive to within Denver and surrounding areas so he has to drive regardless. I'm a travel agent and would prefer to work from home if possible.

Old 10-13-2016, 01:15 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,559,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dockfam View Post
There are several stores my husband will drive to within Denver and surrounding areas so he has to drive regardless. I'm a travel agent and would prefer to work from home if possible.
SE Aurora in Cherry Creek School District is going to get you the best schools combined with bang for your buck. Forget $2XX,000 for anything desirable.

Old 10-13-2016, 01:26 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,146,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
SE Aurora in Cherry Creek School District is going to get you the best schools combined with bang for your buck. Forget $2XX,000 for anything desirable.
Exactly. I would look at Southeast Aurora, but count on $350k being your absolute minimum. Homes in the good areas tend to be newer and bigger too. I lived in Texas and one thing that is different there is that you will have multiple neighborhoods, all built about the same time and feeding into the same schools , but one will be a budget/smaller house neighborhood while the other will be twice as much square footage and cost. You really don't find that here.

Old 10-13-2016, 01:32 PM

Any idea what a mortgage payment would be on a $350k home in Aurora?

With our VA loan here (no PMI), we have a 2884sq ft house with a pool purchased for $297k - because of high property taxes our mortgage is around $2100/mth. Not sure what the salary increase will be for my husband when we are relocated - there will definitely be one, we just don't know how much - but I'd like to try and get mortgage (or rent even) down under $2k per month if possible.

I saw that there are new homes being built in Windsor in the low 300s...is that a decent area?

Old 10-13-2016, 01:36 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,146,396 times
Quote:

With our VA loan here (no PMI), we have a 2884sq ft house with a pool purchased for $297k - because of high property taxes our mortgage is around $2100/mth. Not sure what the salary increase will be for my husband when we are relocated - there will definitely be one, we just don't know how much - but I'd like to try and get mortgage (or rent even) down under $2k per month if possible.

I saw that there are new homes being built in Windsor in the low 300s...is that a decent area?
With lower property taxes and lower home owner's insurance I am certain your payment would not be any more than what you are paying now (dependent on % down, etc). When we moved from Texas we were surprised how much more we could afford for the exact same payment.

Old 10-13-2016, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
With lower property taxes and lower home owner's insurance I am certain your payment would not be any more than what you are paying now (dependent on % down, etc). When we moved from Texas we were surprised how much more we could afford for the exact same payment.
Thank you so much, that makes me feel a bit better!

Old 10-13-2016, 01:40 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
Quote:

Windsor is about 60 miles north of Downtown Denver and that commute would be a real PITA. Imagine driving from Southwest Fort Worth to the Galleria area of North Dallas every day. That would get old really fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver