U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 07:48 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,271,626 times

Advertisements

I think your body adjusts to some extent. I moved here from Orange County and I remember wearing a coat and complaining about the cold there in the winter when we had a rainy 55 degree day. It will get down into the single digits a few times each winter (so far the coldest at my house this winter has been 3, unlikely at this point to get that cold again) and that was at night, not during the day. But then when it hits 40 a couple days later, 40 starts feeling pretty good. Now that it's almost March, temps are warming up with averages in the 50s, snow definitely won't stick around if/when it snows, and more days in the 60s showing up. March brings the first really warm days in the 70s normally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 08:19 AM

2,591 posts, read 5,999,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I think your body adjusts to some extent. I moved here from Orange County and I remember wearing a coat and complaining about the cold there in the winter when we had a rainy 55 degree day. It will get down into the single digits a few times each winter (so far the coldest at my house this winter has been 3, unlikely at this point to get that cold again) and that was at night, not during the day. But then when it hits 40 a couple days later, 40 starts feeling pretty good. Now that it's almost March, temps are warming up with averages in the 50s, snow definitely won't stick around if/when it snows, and more days in the 60s showing up. March brings the first really warm days in the 70s normally.
March weather can be interesting. March is statistically our snowiest month; it can and sometimes does get that cold again.

NWS Denver/Boulder, CO - Product Viewer

Quote:

THE WEATHER IN DENVER DURING MARCH FEATURES FREQUENT AND RAPID CHANGES.
LONGER DAYS ALLOW FOR MORE SUNSHINE MAKES FOR SUMMER-LIKE WEATHER.
HOWEVER...OCCASIONAL ARCTIC AIR MASSES CAN STILL PLUNGE SOUTHWARD ACROSS
COLORADO RAPIDLY DROPPING TEMPERATURES WITH SOME READINGS FALLING TO NEAR ZERO DEGREES.
. . .

ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF VARIABLE WEATHER DURING MARCH WAS IN 2003...ON MARCH
17TH...A TORNADO WAS OBSERVED AND FILMED NEAR BENNETT WITH TEMPERATURES ONLY
IN THE 40S. LATER IN THE DAY THE SECOND STRONGEST WINTER STORM IN DENVER
HISTORY WAS TO BEGIN. DURING THE PERIOD MARCH 17-20...31.8 INCHES OF SNOW
WAS RECORDED AT THE FORMER STAPLETON INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT.
Edit to add: Record high for March is 84; record low is -11, found at:

NWS Denver/Boulder, CO - Product Viewer

Last edited by suzco; 02-27-2008 at 08:29 AM..

Old 02-27-2008, 11:39 AM

182 posts, read 603,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotawholelotosay View Post
How do people in denver adapt to the cold weather, snowstorms, and etc...

PLEASE PLEASE hELP
Truly, there is no such thing as bad weather, only inadequate clothing.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:11 PM

45 posts, read 156,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I agree with you, but if you talk to people here in Phoenix, they'll think Coloradans are crazy for living in a place that gets snow. When people get really used to warm weather climates, they almost become "cold blooded." I've seen people here wear sweaters when it's 80 degrees out. No joke. And people here won't even bat an eye at 105 degrees, whereas people in Denver would be freaking out at that temperature. I guess it shows it's all relative, based on what you're used to.

Ha/ha... I live in Scottsdale (Phoenix) but moving to Denver in June... I do "bat an eyelash" at temps higher than 100, especially now with brutal 4 months long summers of 100-118 degrees... hey, it prepares people for hell lol! Can't wait to experience 4 seasons...

Old 02-27-2008, 01:38 PM

7,338 posts, read 16,632,543 times
We lived in both Englewood and Parker for a total of 5 1/2 years.
While living in an Englewood apartment, we didn't have to worry about shoveling snow,the complex done that. But, did have to scrap ice/snow off of our truck parked outside (not fun). We both wore winter parka's a lot during the winter months. Yes, the morning (and sometimes daytime) temps can be that cold. When we bought our house in Parker, we had to shovel snow out of our driveway (to get the vehicles out of the garage). Had to use salt many times, due to ice on the driveway. Got tired of "shoveling" and bought a snow blower. That worked ok, but it was still to much work for our almost 60 year old bodies to handle. Then, after my 2005 hip replacement surgery and my fall on ice/snow in our driveway (2006) (completely tore 3 tendons in shoulder, resulting in surgery), we had enough of those so-called "mild" winters and moved to the N Carolina. Yes, we will have heat and humidity, but we will take that over the "inches" of snow in Parker. Don't have to drive in blinding snow storms anymore either.
There are plenty of people who love the Denver metro area winters and that is fine. And, there were people we talked to that didn't like them at all, but just couldn't move. As for us, we just had enough. And, by the way, we already knew what winter months were like...we grew up in Indiana and Michigan.
Funny, in Indiana growing up, I can't remember seeing snow on outside Halloween decorations or seeing it snow on Mother's Day weekend........it sure did that in Englewood/Parker!!

Last edited by LoveBoating; 02-27-2008 at 01:41 PM.. Reason: Added another comment

Old 02-27-2008, 04:16 PM

86,980 posts, read 102,527,356 times
LoveBoating:
Quote:
Funny, in Indiana growing up, I can't remember seeing snow on outside Halloween decorations or seeing it snow on Mother's Day weekend........
You are so right! My DD went to college in Indiana and said her Indiana/Illinois friends thought it very odd that it would snow on Halloween! She thought it was normal.

Old 02-27-2008, 04:32 PM

5,113 posts, read 17,453,576 times
speaking of, how is halloween in denver? never done it outside of LA.. maybe we're so fat over here because we're the only ones goin out for candy?

Old 02-27-2008, 04:54 PM

2,755 posts, read 11,759,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
speaking of, how is halloween in denver? never done it outside of LA.. maybe we're so fat over here because we're the only ones goin out for candy?
Halloween is notorious for coinciding with the first big snowstorm of the season. So, many years it's recommended for your kids to go out dressed either as eskimos, arctic explorers, or in a thick fuzzy animal suit. Astronaut would probably work as well.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:05 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,759,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
Halloween is notorious for coinciding with the first big snowstorm of the season. So, many years it's recommended for your kids to go out dressed either as eskimos, arctic explorers, or in a thick fuzzy animal suit. Astronaut would probably work as well.
Have to agree. My kids are usually wearing long underwear beneath their costumes and a cape or coat over top. The positive from all this is that discomfort cuts the evening short, so they can't go overboard on candy.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:20 PM

86,980 posts, read 102,527,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Have to agree. My kids are usually wearing long underwear beneath their costumes and a cape or coat over top. The positive from all this is that discomfort cuts the evening short, so they can't go overboard on candy.
LOL! Mine usually stayed out till the bitter end, even if it was snowing. It doesn't always snow ON Halloween, just usually near Halloween so there is snow on the groud and it is cold. This is usually true even if it has been a very mild fall. So forget the fairy costumes, etc. The costume has to coordinate with a parka or fit over the parka.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or