U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 07:34 AM

125 posts, read 67,473 times

Advertisements

Colorado Average Salaries for Teachers ,

https://www.cde.state.co.us/cdereval/staffcurrent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 10:15 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,113,240 times
"Is it possible to live comfortably close to Denver on a teacher and carpenter salary with 3 kids? We have been heavily looking at Colorado Springs, but there seems to be more job opportunities around Denver. Thoughts? "---------- sigh ----------
I miss my chidlhood, Denver Metro ---------

Old 06-23-2017, 02:55 PM

201 posts, read 127,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQL View Post
My GF (who's a teacher) came from Dallas. She took a pay cut when she moved here with almost five years of experience, particularly in one of the wealthier districts in the state (Douglas County). She said that the only way to advance up the pay scale is to stay at a district for a long time. She's currently looking for another district where she'll stay long term. Otherwise, if you have 10+ years experience and decide to jump to another district, they generally will start you at the 5-year pay band. Not sure if that's specific to Colorado. But she has indicated that pay for teachers is pretty poor here, at least compared to Texas (go figure).
The bolded part is not indicative of Texas. Years of experience follow you from district to district. Also, I was shocked at how little they pay teachers in other states. Average teacher pay in Texas is 51k with 0 years of experience.

Old 06-23-2017, 11:08 PM

218 posts, read 111,848 times
Yes! Colorado needs to improve it's starting salary of teachers. To get a decent apartment you may have to budget a bit which isn't too bad. If you are trying to be the sole provider it's going to be harder with a family. I work extra in the summers. I understand that teaching isn't the highest pay job to come by but it needs to go up. Educational climate is good but the amount of work required for teachers is too much for this pay. Now if they let classes out by noon or had an extra 3-4 weeks of summer vacation it wouldn't be that bad. Some don't realize that "it's not just teaching" especially since so many kids come from broken homes. Some days and weeks when we go home and realize we still could be doing more even when we stay after and volunteer with other activities. That's the biggest part that drives me to think teachers should have a higher pay.

Old 06-25-2017, 11:13 PM

342 posts, read 907,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahd0816 View Post
If you don't mind me asking, why is she looking to get out of the Denver SD? I am also a teacher in NJ and looking to move out to CO, but the pay cut is really scaring me. I have a car payment AND student loans. I've been looking in the Aurora/Cherry Creek/Denver districts..
I have some family in NJ. Teachers get paid extremely well there; it's no comparison! I am single, no kids, and no debt and I have a hard time living on the salary here. I guess it would depend on how much the payments are, but I feel like if I had student loans and a car payment if I were even able to make it work at all, that would mean absolutely no "fun" money for going out or doing anything like that. You would need a roommate for sure. I live pretty far out in the suburbs and spent close to half of my monthly paycheck on rent, which is worth it to me in order to not have to deal with roommates. You may feel differently. I feel like as an almost 30 year old with an MA degree and a professional job I shouldn't have to be living with roommates. I budget very carefully and do worry that there will be a point when I am simply "priced out" of living here. It gets more and more expensive every year. Also keep in mind that the salary schedules you're seeing online are not necessarily what you'll actually get. Most (all?) school districts have had freezes and even salary cuts over the past decade. Next year will be my 8th year teaching and I'm paid as a 4th year teacher on the salary scale due to freezes.

If the OP is still around, last time I was job searching the market actually seemed way better in Colorado Springs. I started looking there because I desperately wanted to get away from my school at the time and wasn't having any luck in Denver. I immediately got several interviews and a couple of offers in CO Springs, and from some "better" districts than the ones I was interviewing with in Denver. The pay is lower, but it seems so is COL. I was about to take a job there and luckily got an offer from a Denver school right before I accepted. I chose the Denver school because I'd much rather live here.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:14 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,113,240 times
I've been on a teacher salary for the last 17 years. It's a good thing I have a sense of humor.

Old 12-23-2017, 08:17 AM

125 posts, read 67,473 times
$10 million in pot taxes aimed at solving teacher shortage woes

https://www.denverpost.com/2017/11/1...cher-shortage/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or