Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 08:45 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,433,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeh View Post
Thank you, everyone. We are definitely going to check out the Castle Pines Village area. It sounds very much like what we are looking for.

Denver still confuses me somewhat with all of the different neighborhoods using different postal addresses, such as Englewood, Centennial, Littleton, etc. but I guess I'll figure that out when we get there.
it's actually less complicated than it is to explain it.

All these locations are in counties; the ones you mentioned Arapahoe, Douglas and Jefferson. Cities formed, and post offices needed to deliver mail to place close to, but not within these city boundries...so the post office being a govt enitity...decreed that the location of the "city" part of the of the address would designated the closest post office. And so it was.

Englewood was the only city south of Denver, until you get to Parker & Castle Rock. Greenwood Village, Centennial & Lone Tree came to be much later. The city of Littleton (in Arapahoe County) was the closest city to all of south Jefferson County and northern Douglas County.

There is a tiny city called Columbine in SoJeffco, but they do not want the whole area to be called that...maybe someday they will have their own identity...until then Littleton it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 10:12 PM
aeh aeh started this thread

318 posts, read 1,621,782 times
Thanks for the clarification. I figured that it was something like that, but as an outsider/newcomer, makes it a bit more difficult.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:12 AM

676 posts, read 2,796,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
That's right by the Continental Theatre on Hampden (285) and Monaco and they use a Denver address.

That's I-25 btw, as in Interstate.

I'd say it's by the Tech Center, Englewood, Centennial, Greenwood Villiage is near, Cherry Hills Villiage is near, whatever. The last thing I'd call it is Denver, but oh well.

I lived about 5.5 miles up Upper Bear Creek road (or CR 480-whatever they wanted to call it) and had to drive down whatever that Morrison road was called and follow it down to Indian Hills or Parmalee Gulch or whatever, stop and get coffee, then onto 285 (California like traffic every weekday morning heading into Denver) east and I'd get onto C-470 and off through E-470 to Jordan road exit and I'd be to work in about an hour door to door.

Now in your case, you can go all the way through Morrison to C-470 OR cut over to Conifer to 285 (I don't see why you'd want to do this-but depending on where you live) then on down 285 or even take the scenic route down through Deer Creek Canyon, but either way, you're gonna wind up on C-470 headed east) and take C-470 to about Quebec and up (North) to about Quincy then jog east to that Monaco parkway road (Eastmoore Drive??).

Or he can just stay on 285 all the way to just past I-25. The traffic is what will be the deciding factor. It could take him 45 minutes to get home if he works really late and take him 1.5 hours to get to work if he doesn't mind bumper to bumper traffic. If he goes my way, I think he can do it in 45.
I lived in Conifer for years and the traffic on 285 is not even close to be considered gridlocked even at peak times. Evergreen is a very long town that stretches north to south over a great distance. Depending on if you live north or south evergreen is going to make a huge distance as to how long your commute will take. Granted it won't be less than a 45 minute drive even during off-peak hours so it might be best to consider a more southern area to live. I work in the Denver Tech center and the commute from conifer to there would easily take an hour since 285 turns into a regular street once you hit englewood and the stop lights thru there are purly snarle traffic at all times of the day.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:44 AM

271 posts, read 1,380,723 times
I basically ignore the USPS when it comes to locating places. For example, there are many addresses that are within the city limits of Westminster, but the Postal Service assigns them the zip code 80020 or 80021, which in their book makes them part of Broomfield (and usually the Broomfield post office is closer, too). There are lots of examples of this sort of thing in the metro area. I think it sort of makes sense to assign addresses that are in unincorporated areas to the nearest city, but wherever possible you should obtain and use the name of the unincorporated area instead. For example, Highlands Ranch instead of Littleton. The Postal Service will still deliver to addresses formatted this way, since their deliveries are keyed to zip codes and not place names.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:04 PM

291 posts, read 2,075,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeh View Post
What town is the intersection of 285 and hwy 25 by the Centennial Airport in?
Now that we have established that your job location is much farther south than originally thought, you have some different options:

If you want the feeling of "mountains in the city" you are better off going east. The east end of Centennial (and Foxfield) has lots of properties with outstanding views of the mountains, and large lots. A little farther out, parts of Parker (west of downtown) are outstanding and the Pinery has some outstanding buys. There are some real values in SE Aurora along Smokey Hill Road...Tallyn's Reach is very mountain-like. I would do ANYTHING to avoid C-470 (not E-470) during rush hour!

Old 03-05-2008, 12:41 PM

1,331 posts, read 5,082,894 times
What is Franktown like now?? It was south of Parker...on the back way to Black Forest/ Co, Spgs. Is it still a tiny town or has everything grown together?

Old 03-05-2008, 12:41 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,308,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillRadio View Post
There are some real values in SE Aurora along Smokey Hill Road...Tallyn's Reach is very mountain-like. I would do ANYTHING to avoid C-470 (not E-470) during rush hour!
Beautiful area, no doubt, and I think Tallyn's Reach is one of the best looking subdivisions in the Denver metro area. They took an area that already has some natural ponderosa pine trees (kind of the outskirts of the Black Forest) and added some more. All the homes have stone and wood accents making it look very "mountain"-y. I wouldn't call it a "real value" though; homes in Tallyn's Reach are listed for $900,000 on up-- and they're pretty close together too; not large lot properties.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:43 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,308,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheridanL View Post
What is Franktown like now?? It was south of Parker...on the back way to Black Forest/ Co, Spgs. Is it still a tiny town or has everything grown together?
Basically a 4 way intesection where CO-83 meets CO-86. A biker bar that's been there for years, a fire station, not much has changed in Franktown. Sprawl from Parker and Castle Rock gets pretty close though, just a few miles away to the north and west.

Old 03-05-2008, 01:23 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,052,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Basically a 4 way intesection where CO-83 meets CO-86. A biker bar that's been there for years, a fire station, not much has changed in Franktown. Sprawl from Parker and Castle Rock gets pretty close though, just a few miles away to the north and west.
Can't speak for Parker's southern sprawl, but Castlewood Canyon State Park sits between the eastern CR neighborhoods of Founders Village/Castlewood Ranch & Franktown, so the two towns will never grow together completely.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 03-05-2008 at 01:45 PM..

Old 03-10-2008, 04:11 PM
aeh aeh started this thread

318 posts, read 1,621,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Beautiful area, no doubt, and I think Tallyn's Reach is one of the best looking subdivisions in the Denver metro area. They took an area that already has some natural ponderosa pine trees (kind of the outskirts of the Black Forest) and added some more. All the homes have stone and wood accents making it look very "mountain"-y. I wouldn't call it a "real value" though; homes in Tallyn's Reach are listed for $900,000 on up-- and they're pretty close together too; not large lot properties.
How do you look up Tallyn's Reach? Such a bummer about Evergreen being too far from basically the DTC area which sounds about where this office is located at (Centennial Aiport, Englewood postal)...but Castle Pines Village is sounding really good, too. Also, how do you look up Southmoor, as well as Tallyns Reach? Have tried on the real estate websites but no luck....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver