Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 12:36 PM

7 posts, read 7,050 times

Advertisements

I'm new to Denver and I finally found an apartment I like at a cost that works. I'm ready to move in at the beginning of next month into the apartment, but right before we were about to set up a lease signing, the landlord, without any previous mention of it, suddenly says that the tenants are required to have a $1,000,000 renter's insurance policy. This was after I paid a couple hundred dollars to them in fees for reserving the apartment.

The apartment is in the Capitol Hill / Downtown neighborhood. Has anyone else dealt with this in this area? I understand landlords want their tenants to have insurance to get as much coverage as possible, and sometimes landlord insurance requires the tenants to have coverage, but $1,000,000 is ridiculous. Most quote sites don't even let me go above $100,000.

I'm waiting on a response from the landlord as to why their requirements are so high, but if anyone has any advice or insight into this type of situation, let me know. I thought I finally found a place that was right for me but now I'm afraid I'm going to have to back out, after having paid hundreds of dollars as well. I'm just sick of searching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 01:03 PM

6,703 posts, read 6,396,681 times
It shouldn't be a big deal. Same thing happened to me and I think I ended up paying like $15 a month for a renters policy with $1M coverage. Call up a local Farmers insurance agent and tell them what you need and they should be able to get you all squared away.

https://www.google.com/search?espv=2...i:4,lf_pqs:EAE

Old 11-30-2016, 02:39 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,549,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nube93 View Post
I'm new to Denver and I finally found an apartment I like at a cost that works. I'm ready to move in at the beginning of next month into the apartment, but right before we were about to set up a lease signing, the landlord, without any previous mention of it, suddenly says that the tenants are required to have a $1,000,000 renter's insurance policy. This was after I paid a couple hundred dollars to them in fees for reserving the apartment.

The apartment is in the Capitol Hill / Downtown neighborhood. Has anyone else dealt with this in this area? I understand landlords want their tenants to have insurance to get as much coverage as possible, and sometimes landlord insurance requires the tenants to have coverage, but $1,000,000 is ridiculous. Most quote sites don't even let me go above $100,000.

I'm waiting on a response from the landlord as to why their requirements are so high, but if anyone has any advice or insight into this type of situation, let me know. I thought I finally found a place that was right for me but now I'm afraid I'm going to have to back out, after having paid hundreds of dollars as well. I'm just sick of searching.
Did they also want you to take out a life insurance policy and make them the beneficiary? If so, run away from that rental.

Old 11-30-2016, 03:00 PM

6,703 posts, read 6,396,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Did they also want you to take out a life insurance policy and make them the beneficiary? If so, run away from that rental.
lol, maybe they'll offer to pay the life insurance premiums as long as they are made the beneficiary and you agree to wash the buildings exterior windows by hand at night in Winter starting from the top down.

Old 11-30-2016, 03:04 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,908,751 times
A million dollars is not what it use to be....

Its slowly becoming the new "Norm" for liability coverage.

Just a question do you have a Pet? Pets increase your liability..

Old 11-30-2016, 06:21 PM

7 posts, read 7,050 times
No pets. I would love a dog but any potential Fido's probably wouldn't like living with me at this point in my life. And luckily they haven't asked about a life insurance policy... yet.

I got a response from the landlord and it looks like she's expecting the quote to come in around $14 / month, which is a lot less than I expected. For some reason every quote estimator I found online had around $50 / month at the lowest but usually around $75 / month on average. Do landlords get a better deal in bulk or something?

Old 11-30-2016, 06:25 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,203,352 times
Contact the company you have your car insurance with. If you combine the renters insurance with your car insurance, you should come in to that 15-20 dollar a month range.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:01 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,549,748 times
Quote:
No pets. I would love a dog but any potential Fido's probably wouldn't like living with me at this point in my life. And luckily they haven't asked about a life insurance policy... yet.

I got a response from the landlord and it looks like she's expecting the quote to come in around $14 / month, which is a lot less than I expected. For some reason every quote estimator I found online had around $50 / month at the lowest but usually around $75 / month on average. Do landlords get a better deal in bulk or something?
I was kidding about the life insurance policy.

Old 12-01-2016, 11:09 AM

29 posts, read 46,997 times
Wow, is that common now? First I've heard of it.

Old 12-01-2016, 11:18 AM

1,822 posts, read 1,983,252 times
Quote:
...without any previous mention of it, suddenly says that the tenants are required to have a $1,000,000 renter's insurance policy
That's ridiculous enough, but what else might they come up with? It's a big toss of the dice. I'd get away fast from that place...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: