U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 02:24 PM

615 posts, read 2,766,733 times

Advertisements

It started up a bit in another thread about where to find some good ethnic food, but it is probably worth its own thread.

So, in the Denver Metro area, where can you get good, Asian, Mexican, Italian, and other ethnic food? I'd also like to hear about good BBQ places.

I do miss the mexican food in San Diego and have yet to find a really good Mongolian BBQ place. We have been going to Hacienda Colorado (I-25 and C-470) for mexican, but I bet there are better places around. For Italian, we recently tried Maggiano's (I-25 and Dry Creek) and they were pretty good.

BTW - Casa Bonita does not qualify as good Mexican food. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2006, 02:55 PM

70 posts, read 296,097 times
Posting cause I'd like to know as well.

Not sure if it counts as an ethnic food, but when I visited last I went to Papadeux(spelling?) and had alligator.

Old 11-30-2006, 02:59 PM

13,382 posts, read 40,933,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpraceman View Post

BTW - Casa Bonita does not qualify as good Mexican food. LOL
heehee
I agree with you there.
Mexican food seems to be so subjective, so I'll just talk about our favorites.
We lived in central Denver so we never roamed that far.

1) Benny's at 7th and Logan was our absolute fave
(but the house margaritas were just okay)

2) Senor Pepe's at 14th and Poplar

3) Pete's Satire Lounge at 1920 Colfax

Best margaritas are at Mezcal on Colfax--food is okay

We used to go to Bluebonnet on Broadway, and we've been to Rio Grande downtown and Tosh's in the north, but we never thought they were THAT great so we usually just stayed with the three I've listed.

For Asian:
We really liked these:

1) Moongate Grill at 745 Quebec

2) the Thai place just off Colorado Blvd at 8th--can't remember the name!

3) Sushi Tazo in Cherry Creek, Sushi Den in south Denver

Italian:

Absolute Favorite:
1)Luca d'Italia (exquisite!)

trendy but fun:
2) nOrth (that's how it's spelled) (190 Clayton,in Cherry Creek)

3) DELICIOUS minestrone:
Pagliacci's at 1440 West 33rd

4) Barolo on 6th Ave

Favorite French:

Affordable: Le Central
Medium: Emma's on 6th Ave
Going all out: Tante Louise on East Colfax, Bistro Vendome on Larimer, Restaurant Kevin Taylor at Teatro

American

1) Vesta Dipping Grill--outrageously delicious food!

2)Cherry Creek Grill between 2nd and 3rd, I think on Milwaukee, Cherry Creek

3) Brix in Cherry Creek (it's sort of a potpourri of all kinds of food)

4) Devil's Food Bakery in Wash Park--yummy carbohydrates

5) Elway's in Cherry Creek

6) The Fort in Morrison

I could go on and on but I'll stop. I hope others will share their opinions.

Old 11-30-2006, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartyOf5 View Post
Not sure if it counts as an ethnic food, but when I visited last I went to Papadeux(spelling?) and had alligator.
I shouldn't have written "ethinic food". Basically, it would be good to hear about any good restaurants.

So, where is Papadeux? I've tried alligator (trip to Louisiana over the summer), it wasn't bad, but we all liked the fried catfish. They have any of that?

cil - Nice list!

Old 11-30-2006, 03:07 PM

210 posts, read 1,259,259 times
Awww, shucks, I was going to say Casa Bonita....!!!

I would think that it would be easy to find a good Mongolian BBQ, since Denver has the largest population of Mongolians outside Mongolia. I know one we like is BD's Mongolian BBQ, which is in LoDo (about a block from Union Station). Not cheap, but very good. We did find another one we liked that was reasonably-priced, but I don't remember the name.

Our favorite Vietnamese is New Saigon, which is on Federal, at Exposition (their sauces especially are notable). There are a lot of Vietnamese and other Asian restaurants along Federal in that area, and I'm sure others are good, but we just found New Saigon and have never really tried another).

For Italian, we have two favorites: Carmine's on Penn (which is somewhat near Denver Country Club), which is a little more pricey, but worth the price. Our other favorite is Cafe Jordano, which is at Jewell and Kipling. It's good food and more reasonably-priced, but be warned: it is very small and very popular, and they don't take reservations for the most part. If you go at peak dining times (probably between 6 and 8 or so) expect a good bit of a wait in a small waiting area. I don't know if this is still the case, but they used to only be open for dinner, so that's also something to keep in mind.

I am looking forward to hearing other people's recommendations here!

Old 11-30-2006, 03:15 PM

If someone is looking for a great steak, there is Capital Grille on Larimer St in downtown. A bit pricey, but great food. Nice place for a good date with the significant other. Rob, one of the managers is a sommelier, so he knows some good wine.

For BBQ, we like Hickory House on Parker Rd, in Parker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinajaCo View Post
I would think that it would be easy to find a good Mongolian BBQ, since Denver has the largest population of Mongolians outside Mongolia. I know one we like is BD's Mongolian BBQ, which is in LoDo (about a block from Union Station). Not cheap, but very good. We did find another one we liked that was reasonably-priced, but I don't remember the name.
We've tried a few around HR/Littleton/Greenwood Village, but it looks like we need to expand our search.

Do you remember where the other Mongolian BBQ place was located?

Last edited by gpraceman; 11-30-2006 at 04:32 PM..

Old 11-30-2006, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpraceman View Post
I shouldn't have written "ethinic food". Basically, it would be good to hear about any good restaurants.

So, where is Papadeux? I've tried alligator (trip to Louisiana over the summer), it wasn't bad, but we all liked the fried catfish. They have any of that?

cil - Nice list!

Sorry, forgot to put the sarcasm when I loosely catagorized alligator as ethnic. Meant it very tongue and cheek.

Not sure where Papadeux is. Not far from Centennial though as thats were a friend of mine use to live. He drove and it only took us about 10, 15 minutes to get there. It was a fun place, very relax atmosphere.

cil - x2 for the nice review.

Old 11-30-2006, 04:58 PM

I looked it up and yes, I spelled it wrong. Pappadeaux is in Greenwood Villiage. Again, it was a fun place.

Old 11-30-2006, 08:29 PM

10,914 posts, read 29,418,729 times
Pappadeaux, take Belleview west from I-25 make a left on Quebec, make your first left onto Roslyn. You have passed it a million times.

Fav mexican Brewery Bar III in Lone Tree near Brunswick.

Fav Mongolian just off of Arapahoe (north side) & Quebec (east side) near the car wash.

Steak? Del Frisco's. for Families try Trail Dust off I-25 & north of Dry Creek on Clinton. Put a tie on the kids (one you don't want)

For Italian La Dolce in Castle Pines.

For chinese/veitnamese Thai Heip (sp?) south side of County Line & East of University.

McCormicks for seafood...or Jax Fish House.

I don't miss many meals

Old 11-30-2006, 09:20 PM

111 posts, read 563,779 times
Rialto Cafe on 16th St Mall. Try it!!

Granellis Pizza, Castle Rock. Best thin crust west of st louis

hot dog/beer vendor at Coors Field and Invesco (that count?)

Some great chains:

Teds Montana Grill (good food and atmosphere)
Hacienda Colorado (atmosphere)
Maggianos (atmosphere)
Pf Changs (and Pei Wei) (the best american asian food, plus atmosphere)
Trail Dust, I-25 and i think Arapahoe. take the kids to ride the slide while adults eat

Last edited by Dan6200alt; 11-30-2006 at 09:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or