Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2017, 07:43 AM

73 posts, read 57,835 times

Advertisements

Maybe this is a dumb question but are M+S tires good enough?

And then more to the point: We have a 2008 Nissan Pathfinder which is RWD and I know RWD isn't good for the snow. We have chains if we decide we want to head up to the mountains during the winter but are M+S tires on a RWD car (with quite a bit of power coming from a V8) good enough for just tooling around town?

Eventually we're planning on getting something AWD but are just going to limp through this winter with what we have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 07:54 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,448,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanbark813 View Post
Maybe this is a dumb question but are M+S tires good enough?

And then more to the point: We have a 2008 Nissan Pathfinder which is RWD and I know RWD isn't good for the snow. We have chains if we decide we want to head up to the mountains during the winter but are M+S tires on a RWD car (with quite a bit of power coming from a V8) good enough for just tooling around town?

Eventually we're planning on getting something AWD but are just going to limp through this winter with what we have.
Not a dumb question and the answer is no. Totally different. They are not real winter tires. Not the soft siliconized rubber that doesn’t turn rock hard when it gets to be 20 degrees out. Also very different tread pattern. RWD SUVs are scary in the snow.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Not a dumb question and the answer is no. Totally different. They are not real winter tires. Not the soft siliconized rubber that doesn’t turn rock hard when it gets to be 20 degrees out. Also very different tread pattern. RWD SUVs are scary in the snow.
Thanks, good to know.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:27 AM

1,613 posts, read 3,221,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanbark813 View Post
Thanks, good to know.
I have driven several RWD cars in the snow, I'd recommend regular snow tires and you will be fine. I'd still keep the chains in case you plan to go into the mountains or encounter anything too crazy.

Old 10-23-2017, 01:52 PM

824 posts, read 696,094 times
you own what you have in the garage.
just thinking the OP's 2008 Nissan Pathfinder will function just fine this winter because last winter had little snow.

for a snow storm limit your driving, drive in to work super early or a sleep in till 10am (miss the traffic). Read a book, call in sick; it WILL melt over night next day.

Fill up the tank (more weight), possibly get some weight over the rear axle (sand bags). bring along a snow shovel, window scraper, gloves, boots. Drive SLOW. Replace your tires if they are bald. The Pathfinder is a heavy land boat with plenty of clearance and you will be better off than average in a snow storm.

do nothing.

Old 10-23-2017, 02:41 PM

22,186 posts, read 29,160,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tim Tim View Post
I have driven several RWD cars in the snow, I'd recommend regular snow tires and you will be fine. I'd still keep the chains in case you plan to go into the mountains or encounter anything too crazy.

Whatever you do: Do NOT put chains on dedicated snow tires. It will destroy the tires and possibly take out your brakes.

Old 10-23-2017, 02:54 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,681,611 times
Tires- If you find a tire that performs well on your vehicle and upon reorder your chain tire place tells you the tire is no longer available stop and call the manufacturer for verification. You can drop ship the tires and another shop can install the tires.

Old 10-23-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daprara View Post
you own what you have in the garage.
just thinking the OP's 2008 Nissan Pathfinder will function just fine this winter because last winter had little snow.

for a snow storm limit your driving, drive in to work super early or a sleep in till 10am (miss the traffic). Read a book, call in sick; it WILL melt over night next day.
I work from home so no commuting. That's a big part of the reason we're going to try and make do with what we have for the time being.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:06 PM

824 posts, read 696,094 times
excellent

Old 10-23-2017, 08:28 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,534,108 times
I didn't read this whole thread, but the title is idiotic - of course awd matters and is far better than front wheel drive or the worst - rear wheel drive. I lived in MN or CO for a combined 30 driving years. If you don't drive like an idiot and expect awd to help stop you, awd is awesome - and you don't have to go through the hassle of swapping tires. Of course winter tires help, but wtf wants to swap tires 2x per year if given the choice?!

Last edited by duke944; 10-23-2017 at 08:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver