U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 07:39 AM

14,115 posts, read 20,836,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
I think this is correct - I have a 2003 Saab 9-3 and moving here from CA last year I was all over the road in spring snowstorms with good ESP (granted - thanks Denver for not salting the roads during a blizzard!) I got two new front tires from Firestone and it's now driving like a tank.

You ALWAYS want best traction in the rear now matter FWD or AWD. Get them changed or get two new tires for the rear
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 04:32 PM

1,790 posts, read 1,129,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
You ALWAYS want best traction in the rear now matter FWD or AWD. Get them changed or get two new tires for the rear
They rotated them and are a certified shop. I trust they did a good job - no need for the anal inspection.

Old 01-17-2017, 10:29 PM

831 posts, read 650,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITNerd View Post
Gotta love that 20lb sheet of packed snow/ice that fly's off and smashes your windshield at 70mph!
World's largest spoiler !! ;-)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPOQs5uA7Zz/?hl=en

Old 01-18-2017, 06:33 AM

6,909 posts, read 6,510,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
There's a guy in this coastal Alaskan town (annual snowfall of 80-90 inches with frequent black ice conditions in winter) who drove an old 80's 4WD 4Runner for years on balding all seasons without incident, and he lives on top of a very steep residential street. So 4WD/AWD certainly can help for getting around. It just doesn't help you stop.

I also know a guy with a 90's AWD BMW who put those high quality stud less winter tires on and though he'd be bulletproof, only to find himself in a 360 on the road not long after leaving home.

I've read one study that says the winter tires are something like 5% better in handling and 20% in braking than all seasons. So yeah, tires definitely matter but "slow the heck down and drive defensively" matters more.
That's study isn't even close to accurate. Yes you should definitely slow down, but tires make a significant difference.

Here is a good, good real world test:

Tire Test Results : Testing on Ice: Winter / Snow vs. All-Season vs. Summer Tires

Stopping from 10mph:
Summer - 47 feet
All Season - 39 feet
Winter - 21 feet

Old 01-19-2017, 05:03 AM

200 posts, read 372,344 times
Blizzak has the best rubber compound for winter. It is also the softest.

Therefore, try to get the tire shop to do a free alignment check. If the alignment is off, Blizzaks wear out quickly.

Old 01-19-2017, 05:18 AM

A couple more tips that aren't that well known or obvious:

1. A fat tire performs worse on snow. Skinnier tires can "dig" down to the pavement easier. This is one of the reasons that a Subaru WRX is horrendous in the snow without snow tires. Another reason is they are overpowered.

2. If you have to go up steep gravel roads all winter, I think steel studded tires work better than Blizzaks for the same reason as #1. But I haven't seen test data on that.

3. You can't go back and add studs to your winter tires. The manufacturers say that little rocks will get into the holes, and then the stud won't set properly.

4. If you can't find Blizzaks for your vehicle, some dealers will "sipe" your tires for a small charge, which should make them grip better. Again, not much data out there. Do NOT sipe your Blizzaks.

Old 01-19-2017, 05:47 AM

352 posts, read 589,293 times
Fat tires work worse because they're pushing through the snow with a wider profile, basically impeding forward progress.

I've said this before on other threads but my choice is studded real-deal snow tires. Been doing that forever. Forget Blizzaks, forget all season, forget trying to make due with bald tires. You people drive what you want, I'll only wear studded snow tires during the winter driving season.

Old 01-19-2017, 06:30 AM

14,115 posts, read 20,836,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
They rotated them and are a certified shop. I trust they did a good job - no need for the anal inspection.
I hope they noted on your paperwork to cover their azz that you wanted the new tires on the front.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:33 AM

6,909 posts, read 6,510,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushhournewb View Post
Fat tires work worse because they're pushing through the snow with a wider profile, basically impeding forward progress.

I've said this before on other threads but my choice is studded real-deal snow tires. Been doing that forever. Forget Blizzaks, forget all season, forget trying to make due with bald tires. You people drive what you want, I'll only wear studded snow tires during the winter driving season.
Studded tires are worse in every single condition except ice. Not at all practical in denver where there is not ice on the ground most of the time. They are terrible on dry pavement and very noisy. The new rubber compounds on non studded winter tires are so much better. I gave up on studs in 2001 and haven't looked back.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:37 AM

Colorado permits steel studs all year, but most states prohibit them April - November. They cause extra wear and tear on the pavement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver