U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 08:15 AM

12,245 posts, read 8,036,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Careerist View Post
I used to work down in the south metro and would often see activity out of Centennial Airport. That may be a better option, albeit with smaller aircraft.
This.

There is a great spot at the end of the runway of Centennial Airport where people park and watch all the time. Military fighters fly in and out of there on occasion. The spot is on the south end of the runway just outside the airport. My building is at the south end too and love watching the aircraft while I am in a boring meeting. The spot I am speaking of is on Liberty Blvd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 12:58 PM

1,788 posts, read 1,125,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC View Post
They also fly the 777 to HNL and have a few 767 flights. 75's aren't very efficient. I don't mind flying on any of them, but I am partial to the 787 and the E145.
Efficient enough for Delta to retrofit over 100 757 and keep them around.

What about Vail or Colorado Springs? I believe Colorado Springs gets commercial planes too

Old 01-20-2017, 01:08 PM

473 posts, read 693,360 times
Colorado Springs shares the facilities with Peterson AFB, can see some impressive military AC there. Have a friend who worked there for a few years and sent me a few shots of Air Force One when parked there.

Vail sees some 757s during ski season, I believe AA and Delta fly them to their hubs, very cool to see them on takeoff.

Aspen doesn't see many big jets, but it's a great airport for planespotting. Small terminal and easy parking areas, and a trail that runs right next to the field.

Old 01-20-2017, 01:52 PM

199 posts, read 134,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
Efficient enough for Delta to retrofit over 100 757 and keep them around.

What about Vail or Colorado Springs? I believe Colorado Springs gets commercial planes too
That's because they're saving money by not buying new, more efficient aircraft. I didn't say it wasn't a good aircraft. United is going to look at more used aircraft as well. I see UA getting rid of 757/767 to streamline their fleet, thereby saving by not training/maintain for as many fleet types.

Old 01-20-2017, 02:03 PM

1,788 posts, read 1,125,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC View Post
That's because they're saving money by not buying new, more efficient aircraft. I didn't say it wasn't a good aircraft. United is going to look at more used aircraft as well. I see UA getting rid of 757/767 to streamline their fleet, thereby saving by not training/maintain for as many fleet types.
They're supposed to make a major fleet announcement soon - supposedly they will order A321 LRs.

So far since the merger I haven't seen a big fan of their fleet planning. They have a lot of internal baggage to deal with at HQ with turnover and reducing headcount. United functions as a dysfunctional corporation instead of running a seamless operation.

Old 01-20-2017, 02:35 PM

12,245 posts, read 8,036,209 times
Now you guys are speaking a different language. I just see airplanes when they fly over. Some are big and some are small and some are really fast.

Old 02-10-2017, 07:52 PM

209 posts, read 119,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I don't know if there's anywhere to park to do it, but I personally think the traffic in and out of Buckley AFB is the most interesting in Denver. We live right over final for Buckley so I've seen all kinds of military traffic - A-10s (rarely), Blackhawks, Chinooks, C-17s, Air Force One, and most commonly F-16s.
Lived about 3 miles out from Buckley. At least once an F-16 flew so low over my place that I could see the missiles mounts under the wings. Without my glasses.

The choppers from Ft. Carson flying over are impressive. That base is huge.

Only seen C-17s in Delaware, they do a 45(?) degree bank and land on a dime. Watched one take off to fly across the Atlantic Ocean. That plane has some juice.

Old 02-11-2017, 09:53 AM

538 posts, read 279,736 times
Default RMMA doesn't disappoint...

Living along the RPZ, just east of RMMA, has given us 30 years of enjoyable watching from private to charter aircraft, occasional tankers and military jets/helis too. Being on the east side is an advantage, probably 85% are arriving out of the east due to the prevailing winds.

Happily preparing for retirement, but sadly getting ready to leave the area. We will miss our well-kept secret spot here in Broomfield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver