Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2017, 04:28 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,808,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtloucks View Post
I can not speak as to working at Target HQ but I know people who do and have for a long time and the only common complaint i hear is that they try to hire cheap, young and pretty people regardless of experience.

as far as the backstabbing... I think you will see that anywhere you go. I do feel that if you pull your own weight in MN though, you will be well respected. A lot of people in Minnesota never leave so this creats volumes of people that are "next in line" for promotions at their respective jobs. SO you really need to work hard to get ahead.... or move on.

I do think that Minnesotan carries a false culture though. It really isnt Minnesota Nice. If you ever lived in the south in areas like Alabama, NC, SC, even KY, etc you may be familiar with people saying things like " bless your heart" or calling you pet names like honey or sweetheart. And when most people hear that they are like "Oh that person is really nice...." far from the truth.... They are putting you down or damning you in their own subtle way. There is actually a book written on this. Well MN is similar. Most people are nice to your face. It isnt that they wish you bad luck or anything behind your back, they simply do not really care what happens to you unless you are in their click. So they are nice to your face because they are too polite to hurt your feelings. If that makes sense.
Well yeah the Southern comparison is true. I've definitely meet overly nice people from Georgia for example. And then you got a version of it out in Seattle called "Seattle Freeze." Say what you will about Denver, but Seattle doesn't seem all that welcoming to transplants. At least here it's a bit of a melting pot and local CO people seem to enjoy watching their city grow.

Met a lot of good from MN while on business trips up there. I think the issue was that the upper management literally came from the big business in MSP to the smaller company bringing their sketchy values with them. Probably why the good people either left or got forced out.

Companies seem to operate pretty lean up there too. I remember reading a story about how the old Northwest Airlines HQ was so cheap they used to inventory the lightbulbs. Companies are super bloated on the coasts. Like when I worked in NYC I've never seen a company waste so much money on useless travel and events.

Old 01-17-2017, 05:21 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,083,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
The OP specifically asked transplants to share their experiences. Go back and read the starter post. It is the next to last paragraph.
Just making an observation based on my own experience. I don't mean to meddle where I am not wanted though... So I'll respectfully butt out.

Old 01-17-2017, 05:27 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,697,825 times
Nobody asked you to butt out. I was just answering your comment stating that most of the posters were transplants. The reason for that is that is what the OP asked for.

Old 01-17-2017, 05:36 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,862,153 times
I will say back in the early and mid 2000s when I was college aged, that Denver was a great city to meet new people. It seemed to be a very open-minded, friendly city with a very interesting vibe to it.

Part of it is getting older makes it more difficult to meet new people but it just doesn't seem as social and friendly as it used to be.

I have watched videos of Denver in the 1980s and 1990s and it just seemed like a much more open-minded, friendly city back then. Seems like the 1980s and 1990s Denver was grittier and friendly.

I used to absolutely love Capitol Hill and North Denver at the time. It just seemed like a more simple, laid-back and friendly city then.

I didn't spend that whole time in Denver but lived there a few short stents back then and all my relatives live in Colorado so I am there every couple of months.

I have to say though starting in the last couple of years, it's just not the friendly place it was in the past. It seems much more formal and cold as a city.

Denver has never been a superficial city and it seems like lately it has a superficial tone to it.

Colorado Springs seems to be have a lot of angry and unhappy people living there. I really would love to love Colorado Springs but it is not half the city it was in the 1990s economically, socially or friendly wise.

Old 01-17-2017, 06:18 PM

850 posts, read 796,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I will say back in the early and mid 2000s when I was college aged, that Denver was a great city to meet new people. It seemed to be a very open-minded, friendly city with a very interesting vibe to it.

Part of it is getting older makes it more difficult to meet new people but it just doesn't seem as social and friendly as it used to be.

I have watched videos of Denver in the 1980s and 1990s and it just seemed like a much more open-minded, friendly city back then. Seems like the 1980s and 1990s Denver was grittier and friendly.

I used to absolutely love Capitol Hill and North Denver at the time. It just seemed like a more simple, laid-back and friendly city then.

I didn't spend that whole time in Denver but lived there a few short stents back then and all my relatives live in Colorado so I am there every couple of months.

I have to say though starting in the last couple of years, it's just not the friendly place it was in the past. It seems much more formal and cold as a city.

Denver has never been a superficial city and it seems like lately it has a superficial tone to it.

Colorado Springs seems to be have a lot of angry and unhappy people living there. I really would love to love Colorado Springs but it is not half the city it was in the 1990s economically, socially or friendly wise.
Dude you can say that about NY and my hometown Chicago back a decade or 2 ago, lot more friendly and less pretentious. Man things have changed.

Old 01-17-2017, 06:27 PM
CTC

668 posts, read 1,466,669 times
Default Just because you feel that way does not make it so

I love all of these "I feel this way" posts therefore this is what must be true-

Visited my cousin in Denver last Summer over Memorial weekend

He is a 30 something electrical engineer and is totally vested in Denver

Great people great town

We bbqued, we drank great beer, we met tons of people, we played music (both are guitar players) , we went to the park, we met neighbors, the whole nine. We interacted with people a good 10-20 years younger than us and never felt strange about it-nor did they

And the Broncos did not even come up. Imagine that.

Old 01-17-2017, 06:52 PM

255 posts, read 200,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTC View Post
I love all of these "I feel this way" posts therefore this is what must be true-
To your point, I think you get out of it what you're willing to put in. I personally can't imagine any major US city being particularly dreadful to live in unless you have an aversion to certain climates. I think most places offer many of the same amenities and activities as one another, obviously with the exception of those places that have access to mountains, lakes, or oceans where others do not.

For instance, I didn't move to Denver for the winter sports, as I never partook in them growing up and had little interest in them when I moved here. I came here mostly for the summer activities, the job market, and the milder climate. During the first several winters I spent here, I rarely went to the mountains. Sure, at times I did feel left out as others would tell me of their adventures in the mountains either skiing, snowboarding, or snow shoeing. I could have accepted it as not being a great fit for me either. However, last year I tried skiing out for the first time with my SO and thoroughly enjoyed it. I've been out a few times this year so far and have continued to enjoy it. The rest of the year I spend time doing what most people my age do in major US cities across the country. Drinking, going to live shows, going to sporting events, going out to eat, socializing at bars; all things that can be done, again, in most major US cities across the country.

The bottom line is that I tried something different; something that was unique to the culture here in Colorado. And I ended up actually liking it. Go figure. As far as the rest goes, I think Denver is fairly similar to any other major US city with some moderate variance in cultures. I don't think Denver represents an extreme in comparison to most other major cities, unless you're talking about NYC or LA.

Old 01-17-2017, 06:54 PM

776 posts, read 1,062,997 times
FOR the record.... I never meant to come off as thought he people of Colorado arent welcoming or nice. In fact, I feel that they are very nice and I felt welcomed by my great neighbors and people in the activities we joined. I just felt like the people in the job markets and service industries we lax and unpleasant, maybe even entitled. No one wanted to work hard. I remember when Sports Authority was closing down and i brought my son in to buy a football helmet during the 70% off EVERYTHING sale that was clearly displayed EVERYWHERE>
Anyway, the helmet was $99.97 and it rang up at $49.98 plus tax.... I said well that isn't 70% off. She grabbed her manager and he began arguing with me about why I thought it was 70% blah blah blah...I pointed to the many signs all over and then walked him to the sign that even specified that "All football equipment including helmets" were 70% or more off. He did more research and long story short he said that it isnt included because it ends in a .97..WTF? SO he found some way not to honor the "EVERYTHING 70% OFF, NO exclusions" banner.. then said " do you still want it?" I said absolutely not. He had the worst attitude about it and I said something that maybe I shouldn't have, I said that workers with attitudes like his may be part of the reason why Sports Authority is going out of business. OK so I know that's not WHY, but cmon. SO he literally yelled at me with my son standing next to me telling me to just leave, that he's losing his job and I was being disrespectful etc. I turned to him and reiterated, that maybe his attitude could affect his future. This was the problem though. He felt that someone owed him something for losing his job. NO there are plenty of jobs in retail out there, go get another one. Maybe he will have to start over a bit but he was missing the main point..... The Helmet was supposed to be 70% off and he refused to honor it. Why couldnt he see that? Because he was too focused on himself like a lot of people out there.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:08 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,808,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtloucks View Post
FOR the record.... I never meant to come off as thought he people of Colorado arent welcoming or nice. In fact, I feel that they are very nice and I felt welcomed by my great neighbors and people in the activities we joined. I just felt like the people in the job markets and service industries we lax and unpleasant, maybe even entitled. No one wanted to work hard. I remember when Sports Authority was closing down and i brought my son in to buy a football helmet during the 70% off EVERYTHING sale that was clearly displayed EVERYWHERE>
Anyway, the helmet was $99.97 and it rang up at $49.98 plus tax.... I said well that isn't 70% off. She grabbed her manager and he began arguing with me about why I thought it was 70% blah blah blah...I pointed to the many signs all over and then walked him to the sign that even specified that "All football equipment including helmets" were 70% or more off. He did more research and long story short he said that it isnt included because it ends in a .97..WTF? SO he found some way not to honor the "EVERYTHING 70% OFF, NO exclusions" banner.. then said " do you still want it?" I said absolutely not. He had the worst attitude about it and I said something that maybe I shouldn't have, I said that workers with attitudes like his may be part of the reason why Sports Authority is going out of business. OK so I know that's not WHY, but cmon. SO he literally yelled at me with my son standing next to me telling me to just leave, that he's losing his job and I was being disrespectful etc. I turned to him and reiterated, that maybe his attitude could affect his future. This was the problem though. He felt that someone owed him something for losing his job. NO there are plenty of jobs in retail out there, go get another one. Maybe he will have to start over a bit but he was missing the main point..... The Helmet was supposed to be 70% off and he refused to honor it. Why couldnt he see that? Because he was too focused on himself like a lot of people out there.
I find native CO people to be pretty friendly overall. Yes there is the "too laid back" aspect of working in corporate out here, but as I posted earlier I had a auto breakdown where a AAA driver took it to a AAA shop (think he got a cut?) and they screwed me out hundreds of dollars. When you are wasting money for incompetence and lying is something I just can't respect.

I've had other issues out here with service industry transactions. Like one a month ago where I ordered a Domino's pizza from the app. It took an hour to get here, and the driver said "cash only" when I got here. I definitely got heated and told him it took way too long and to use my CC info from my app login (which I did and queued up and he refused.) He called his manager and we literally got into a shouting match. He basically told me to f-off as soon as I disputed payment.

Another notable experience was being a fly on the wall at a Laundromat where the owner who was Korean cursed out 2 Black chicks for "screwing up" one of his machines on purpose. He kicked them out immediately and threw a cursing fit. Never saw anything like it (or if they were really trying to screw up his machine) but they seemed innocent.

These stories at least in my experience were extremely rare in California and only one other place in my experience can top it (take a guess?) New Jersey.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:25 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,555,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
I find native CO people to be pretty friendly overall. Yes there is the "too laid back" aspect of working in corporate out here, but as I posted earlier I had a auto breakdown where a AAA driver took it to a AAA shop (think he got a cut?) and they screwed me out hundreds of dollars. When you are wasting money for incompetence and lying is something I just can't respect.

I've had other issues out here with service industry transactions. Like one a month ago where I ordered a Domino's pizza from the app. It took an hour to get here, and the driver said "cash only" when I got here. I definitely got heated and told him it took way too long and to use my CC info from my app login (which I did and queued up and he refused.) He called his manager and we literally got into a shouting match. He basically told me to f-off as soon as I disputed payment.

Another notable experience was being a fly on the wall at a Laundromat where the owner who was Korean cursed out 2 Black chicks for "screwing up" one of his machines on purpose. He kicked them out immediately and threw a cursing fit. Never saw anything like it (or if they were really trying to screw up his machine) but they seemed innocent.

These stories at least in my experience were extremely rare in California and only one other place in my experience can top it (take a guess?) New Jersey.
The funny thing about nostalgia for a place is you tend to forget the bad stuff. I guarantee people get in heated arguments over stupid stuff in California. I've seen it happen.

I once watched two old men almost get in a fist fight over a pickle barrel at the flea market near Boca Raton, FL. Crazy everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver