U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 04:33 PM

760 posts, read 584,014 times

Advertisements

Wisconsin is king for driving slow in the left lane. In fact, we don't even have a law stating the left lane if for passing only, like 95% of the other states.

Sorry we are horrible.

I was able to kick this habit living in other major cities.

Old 01-18-2017, 04:40 PM

1,790 posts, read 1,129,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Ski View Post
Wisconsin is king for driving slow in the left lane. In fact, we don't even have a law stating the left lane if for passing only, like 95% of the other states.

Sorry we are horrible.

I was able to kick this habit living in other major cities.
This. And Minnesota drivers are freaking terrible as well.

Then again if you saw me driving my European car trying to get around you to be in the left lane going slow with NJ plates you'd probably think I'm a huge d-bag driver as well

Old 01-18-2017, 04:48 PM

1,008 posts, read 631,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
Interesting. Denver isn't a port of entry city like Miami, NYC, Chicago, Los Angeles etc. So as far I'm concerned, everybody originated somewhere else unless you're Native American
If someone's great-great-grandparents arrived in Denver on one of the Westward Expansion Trails in the 1860's or 70's, I would not consider that person as having "originated somewhere else."

Despite the high number of transplants in Denver, there are still many individuals living in the area who can trace their lineage to the original settlers in the mid-to-late 19th century.

That's a bizarre thought process you have.

I grew up in the same New England town as my great-great-great-grandmother, so I don't really feel like I "originated somewhere else" other than America.

Old 01-18-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
If someone's great-great-grandparents arrived in Denver on one of the Westward Expansion Trails in the 1860's or 70's, I would not consider that person as having "originated somewhere else."

Despite the high number of transplants in Denver, there are still many individuals living in the area who can trace their lineage to the original settlers in the mid-to-late 19th century.

That's a bizarre thought process you have.

I grew up in the same New England town as my great-great-great-grandmother, so I don't really feel like I "originated somewhere else" other than America.
I was half joking. I feel there are those original settlers who came to CO way back in the day but certainly that's a rare one.

Old 01-18-2017, 06:09 PM

6,912 posts, read 6,513,130 times
Quote:
I was half joking. I feel there are those original settlers who came to CO way back in the day but certainly that's a rare one.
My great, great grandparents arrived in Pueblo in the 1870s. My great grandmother was born there in 1896. My grandfather was born in a Denver in 1914 and grandmother in Denver in 1918.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:09 AM

Back to topic, seems like if it were a poll it would be pretty mixed. Like 50/50 stay put slash get out now. Obviously it's nonsensical to break a lease when starting a new job but confirms that when my lease is up (September) to seriously evaluate staying here (based on how the rest of this year goes.) I say only to consider leaving if my stress levels continue to inflate and dating here continues to be lacking.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:16 AM

6,912 posts, read 6,513,130 times
Quote:
Back to topic, seems like if it were a poll it would be pretty mixed. Like 50/50 stay put slash get out now. Obviously it's nonsensical to break a lease when starting a new job but confirms that when my lease is up (September) to seriously evaluate staying here (based on how the rest of this year goes.) I say only to consider leaving if my stress levels continue to inflate and dating here continues to be lacking.
I've obviously never met you in person, but online you come across as "Too good for this hickish cowtown". If you come across that way in real life, I would bet that dating will continue to be a challenge.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:48 AM

5,351 posts, read 2,777,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I've obviously never met you in person, but online you come across as "Too good for this hickish cowtown". If you come across that way in real life, I would bet that dating will continue to be a challenge.
Same reaction here, over multiple posts to boot.

I don't see the dark sarcastic humor, only bitter sour grapes. Time to leave and cut the losses, and maybe, find a better match.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:39 AM

1,008 posts, read 631,569 times
Quote:
So you want to move to Florida instead? Good luck with that, especially as it relates to dating.

Florida has, arguably, the lowest quality of people in the entire nation, especially in the major metro areas.

If you think women in Denver have a lot of baggage, just wait 'til you move to Florida, LOL. Everyone in Florida seems to be running from something - an abusive ex-partner or family, a past filled with substance abuse or con artistry, etc.

People in Florida also work a lot, too, and it's not the result of being "career-oriented" in the same respect you describe yourself.

Most people in Florida are uneducated and low-skilled, so they tend to work jobs that pay $10-$15/hour. Problem is, COL is disproportionately high relative to wages, so many people work two or three jobs just to squeak by. It was not uncommon to meet office managers or bankers who work 40-45 hours/week and then have an evening or weekend gig serving at restaurants, working at a clothing store, etc.

Florida is also a very stressful place to live, especially if you've grown up anyplace other than Florida.

If you think people speaking Spanish as a first language is problematic in Southern California, move to South Florida; it'll make Southern California seem like Iowa by comparison, LOL.

Driver habits tend to be very reckless in Florida, too - lots of speeding, tailgating, merging without turn signals, running red lights, etc. Hit-and-runs with pedestrians, cyclists and other motorists are also very common in Florida. Haven't you ever noticed that Florida cities dominate lists such as "Worst Cities for Pedestrians," etc.?

Lots of "fly-by-night" employers down there with very shady and, sometimes, downright unethical business practices. Employers in Florida also make it seem as though they're doing you a favor by hiring you because, let's face it, you're not going to find better or even comparable employment.

The lack of winter is very nice, but not worth it, IMO. You're better off spending the extra money and moving to Orange County or even Scottsdale, AZ.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:49 AM

2,671 posts, read 2,318,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post

The lack of winter is very nice, but not worth it, IMO. You're better off spending the extra money and moving to Orange County or even Scottsdale, AZ.
You mean Snobsdale. The women there are mostly laden botox, superficial leathery cougars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or