U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-19-2017, 08:31 PM
 
370 posts, read 396,658 times
Reputation: 840

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
Very true. The NJ forum is full of the first option you mentioned. Impossible to post with mild criticism without being attacked by cheerleaders.

Around here the cheerleading is along the lines of "cultural protection" = you blend into Colorado culture or you leave.
I've lived here for 25 YEARS and don't feel like I blend in.

Skiing: Too poor to go
Microbrews: Ok, I guess, but I'm not obsessed.
Pot: Makes me jittery and paranoid.
Broncos: ugh.
Snow: Never want to see another snowflake as long as I live.

I have some good friends (mostly other long term Coloradans or ex Nebraskans), a partner, a house, and an OK job. That's all that keeps me here. The partner and I are thinking that in 5-10 years we'll pay down the house, sell, take the profits, and head to Albuquerque. Higher crime and tough job market, yes. But less snow and friendlier people.

Oddly, the biggest cultural protectors tend to be recent-ish transplants. I worked in a pod in 2015 with 3 total transplant stereotypes of Colorado Chad's and Ashley's. 8 hours a day of of NOTHING but endless, mindless microbrew and skiing/hiking chatter at top volume.

They were nice enough people and Ok in small doses. But when I complained about them to a native Coloradan friend, he automatically knew they were out of towners. Natives don't blather on about stuff like that.

 
Old 01-20-2017, 07:31 AM
Status: "Summer!" (set 24 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
87,016 posts, read 102,663,662 times
Reputation: 33083
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmet View Post
I've lived here for 25 YEARS and don't feel like I blend in.

Skiing: Too poor to go
Microbrews: Ok, I guess, but I'm not obsessed.
Pot: Makes me jittery and paranoid.
Broncos: ugh.
Snow: Never want to see another snowflake as long as I live.

I have some good friends (mostly other long term Coloradans or ex Nebraskans), a partner, a house, and an OK job. That's all that keeps me here. The partner and I are thinking that in 5-10 years we'll pay down the house, sell, take the profits, and head to Albuquerque. Higher crime and tough job market, yes. But less snow and friendlier people.

Oddly, the biggest cultural protectors tend to be recent-ish transplants. I worked in a pod in 2015 with 3 total transplant stereotypes of Colorado Chad's and Ashley's. 8 hours a day of of NOTHING but endless, mindless microbrew and skiing/hiking chatter at top volume.

They were nice enough people and Ok in small doses. But when I complained about them to a native Coloradan friend, he automatically knew they were out of towners. Natives don't blather on about stuff like that.
And what do natives talk about, the meaning of life?

My daughter is a native Coloradan. I would say she talks about skiing and the Broncos, in your list. She's not crazy about snow, either.
 
Old 01-20-2017, 07:52 AM
 
Location: In The Thin Air
12,293 posts, read 8,101,785 times
Reputation: 8932
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I personally don't care what you do. You make what you want from the situation you put yourself in. You yourself complained of not fitting in, in the title and the first post.
That is not the impression I got from his first post. I think he was just expressing how tough it has been so far and that he will keep trying.

OP, I know for the first year I was here I was a little (maybe a lot) homesick. My coworkers were my only friends at first. Like you said you are going to stick around for at least the length of your lease. Maybe during that time you will find something that will keep you here. If you can't find anything then you have the luxury of moving on. You are young and single which leaves your options wide open.
 
Old 01-20-2017, 07:56 AM
 
Location: In The Thin Air
12,293 posts, read 8,101,785 times
Reputation: 8932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
And what do natives talk about, the meaning of life?

My daughter is a native Coloradan. I would say she talks about skiing and the Broncos, in your list. She's not crazy about snow, either.
My daughter is a native but she is too young to even know that is. I can't keep my daughter out of the snow.

I wish everybody would accept the diversity here and just enjoy it. When I say diversity I don't necessarily mean ethnicity. There are so many different people from different states it makes interesting to live here. Just in my group at work I have a coworker that was born in Portugal and grew up New York. I have another that grew up in Missouri. There is also one that is from Southern California like me but he is from the Inland Empire which is pretty different than San Diego.
 
Old 01-20-2017, 09:54 AM
 
5,456 posts, read 2,843,566 times
Reputation: 10250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
That is not the impression I got from his first post. I think he was just expressing how tough it has been so far and that he will keep trying.

OP, I know for the first year I was here I was a little (maybe a lot) homesick. My coworkers were my only friends at first. Like you said you are going to stick around for at least the length of your lease. Maybe during that time you will find something that will keep you here. If you can't find anything then you have the luxury of moving on. You are young and single which leaves your options wide open.
I was having second thoughts for several months after I moved to the Denver area, too. It had more to do with arriving during an economic downturn and wondering if I had taken too big a risk financially. I stuck around (had saved for difficult times) and less than a year later realized it really did feel like home.

BUT, and this is a big difference, I did not even once think that the existing residents were inferior, which is the tone of the OP's responses. I was not and still am not a fan of football or other pro ball sports, downhill skiing, microbrews, etc but it didn't matter. There were other things to love about the area, and then some. You don't need to be a rabid outdoor jock to fit in, you just need to understand that those activities are cherished by most residents. If you put them down for living in an area so they can pursue those things, you are making walls around yourself right off the bat.
 
Old 01-20-2017, 10:03 AM
 
Location: In The Thin Air
12,293 posts, read 8,101,785 times
Reputation: 8932
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I was having second thoughts for several months after I moved to the Denver area, too. It had more to do with arriving during an economic downturn and wondering if I had taken too big a risk financially. I stuck around (had saved for difficult times) and less than a year later realized it really did feel like home.

BUT, and this is a big difference, I did not even once think that the existing residents were inferior, which is the tone of the OP's responses. I was not and still am not a fan of football or other pro ball sports, downhill skiing, microbrews, etc but it didn't matter. There were other things to love about the area, and then some. You don't need to be a rabid outdoor jock to fit in, you just need to understand that those activities are cherished by most residents. If you put them down for living in an area so they can pursue those things, you are making walls around yourself right off the bat.
Good point. I love the outdoors and sports but I have never even thought people were below me and should move because they didn't enjoy that stuff. There is so much more to the city and state besides that stuff.
 
Old 01-20-2017, 10:16 AM
 
1,791 posts, read 1,142,481 times
Reputation: 1121
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I was having second thoughts for several months after I moved to the Denver area, too. It had more to do with arriving during an economic downturn and wondering if I had taken too big a risk financially. I stuck around (had saved for difficult times) and less than a year later realized it really did feel like home.

BUT, and this is a big difference, I did not even once think that the existing residents were inferior, which is the tone of the OP's responses. I was not and still am not a fan of football or other pro ball sports, downhill skiing, microbrews, etc but it didn't matter. There were other things to love about the area, and then some. You don't need to be a rabid outdoor jock to fit in, you just need to understand that those activities are cherished by most residents. If you put them down for living in an area so they can pursue those things, you are making walls around yourself right off the bat.
Wrong. Way to spin things around.

In the first post I said I met some great people so far. I only hit YOU and you alone for making an obnoxious comment about how mountain life comes first and career second. Denver eats people alive from the coasts? Dude, get real.

For the record, Bronco's pride really doesn't bother me at all. There are so many other things that bother me more like the pace of people moving at the store or the passive aggressive behavior of some residents (lack of directness.)
 
Old 01-20-2017, 10:22 AM
 
5,456 posts, read 2,843,566 times
Reputation: 10250
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
Wrong. Way to spin things around.

In the first post I said I met some great people so far. I only hit YOU and you alone for making an obnoxious comment about how mountain life comes first and career second. Denver eats people alive from the coasts? Dude, get real.

For the record, Bronco's pride really doesn't bother me at all. There are so many other things that bother me more like the pace of people moving at the store or the passive aggressive behavior of some residents (lack of directness.)
You must be thinking of another poster.

I didn't mention careers. I also did not post anything about Denver eating people from the coasts.

If you are going to attack someone, get your facts straight first.
 
Old 01-20-2017, 10:29 AM
 
Location: Denver 'burbs
21,873 posts, read 23,170,285 times
Reputation: 37276
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
Well that's not exactly how I come off and I certainly don't come off that way in public. I used the hick comment in defense of being "eaten alive" for people moving here and not getting into outdoor sports - which by all means is a ridiculous mindset to have over a career.

Think about it, you can't even participate in outdoor sports without having a good career. It's way too expensive. People can live here and not drink the Kool Aid all the time.



Yeah like I'm going to break my lease and weasel out of a job right now because a user on City Data forum told me so
Free or minimal cost: Hiking, biking, snowshoeing among other things. Skiing and snowboarding do not comprise the totality of "outdoor sports".
 
Old 01-20-2017, 10:30 AM
 
Location: In The Thin Air
12,293 posts, read 8,101,785 times
Reputation: 8932
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Free or minimal cost: Hiking, biking, snowshoeing among other things. Skiing and snowboarding do not comprise the totality of "outdoor sports".
This. I love hiking and you don't have to go up to the mountains to do it. There are tons of trails around the metro area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:53 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top