U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 10:42 AM

760 posts, read 588,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
BUT, and this is a big difference, I did not even once think that the existing residents were inferior, which is the tone of the OP's responses. I was not and still am not a fan of football or other pro ball sports, downhill skiing, microbrews, etc but it didn't matter.
I think this is the cause of a lot of resentment within the last few years.

No one is saying you can't move here if you aren't into the mountains, but if you aren't into the mountains, you should realize that a lot of people around you will be. This is a fact about Denver, and should be acknowledged. So if you are having a bad time in Denver, it isn't because the people who live here are in the wrong because they are obsessed with the mountains. If you are having a bad time, you should make the choice to move....just like anyone who ever moves to any other city. It would be like moving to Manhattan, and complaining that you don't fit in because you feel you should be able to go out to eat in ripped up jeans and flannel shirts. Or that no one you live around is into hunting.

And this carries into the resentment of older residents in Colorado. They don't really care about the specific numbers of people moving here, it's more about the affects of new residents. They don't like when they have lived in a neighborhood for 15-20 years, and picked Denver because of the recreation, only to be pushed out by new residents who want to tear down and flip every home, and have to listen to how Denver ins't as good as NYC, SF, LA, etc...or hear how everyone here is too laid back or too obsessed with mountain sports. Seeing trails and camp sites becoming trashed more every year doesn't help.

Seems like some natives would be welcoming to this growth if they could just maintain their current lifestyle, or if the new transplants respected the current way of life. I don't think anyone is even asking transplants to "assimilate" to the mountain lifestyle, they just want to be able to live their life on their own terms. And transplants want to move to a new city, but also have all of their needs met. I think some transplants feel threatened when natives tell them things like "if you don't like it move", when all they are really trying to say is that they want to be respected.

I have seen a lot of changes in Denver over the last few years, and a lot of it was not simple economics and affordability. It was mostly a result of different people changing the city to different visions of what Denver should be like. Tech people want this, MJ people this, wealthy transplants from big cities want this, natives want that, etc...

As a transplant, I'm really indifferent on this issue. I think both natives and transplants need to respect each other and end this resentment if we want to keep the cities reputation positive.

Old 01-20-2017, 10:44 AM

255 posts, read 140,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Free or minimal cost: Hiking, biking, snowshoeing among other things. Skiing and snowboarding do not comprise the totality of "outdoor sports".
Hiking/snowshoeing is probably the best bang for your buck. Biking can be relatively cheap, but if you start getting into it more seriously, as I have, you learn that it can be moderately costly with maintenance, etc. But still an excellent bang for your buck IMO. Skiing/snowboarding wouldn't be so bad if not for the hefty ski pass costs. I'm trying to ween my SO off of that now, as I don't know how comfortable I am with any more $600/yr passes.

Old 01-20-2017, 10:51 AM

6,557 posts, read 10,264,564 times
I could be wrong, but I'm sensing that the OP is struggling with the fact that Denver's not a Type A, "live to work" kind of city. A lot of people here (myself included) see their jobs as a means to an end. We aren't defined by our jobs and our lives don't revolve around getting ahead in the rat race.

I lived in an area where you're defined (and judged) by how much you make, how much material crap you own, where you live, what you drive, and where your kids go to school - primarily because outside of work and blowing money that particular area has almost no redeeming qualities. It sucked the life out of me.

Old 01-20-2017, 10:58 AM

12,279 posts, read 8,086,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I could be wrong, but I'm sensing that the OP is struggling with the fact that Denver's not a Type A, "live to work" kind of city. A lot of people here (myself included) see their jobs as a means to an end. We aren't defined by our jobs and our lives don't revolve around getting ahead in the rat race.

I lived in an area where you're defined (and judged) by how much you make, how much material crap you own, where you live, what you drive, and where your kids go to school - primarily because outside of work and blowing money that particular area has almost no redeeming qualities. It sucked the life out of me.
That is how I see my job, now. When I was younger I was all about pleasing some boss trying to make more money. Now my job is so I can live and play. My job is actually in the way. That doesn't mean I don't take my job seriously but I don't live to work. I work to live.

Old 01-20-2017, 11:16 AM

1,790 posts, read 1,138,587 times
BlueScreen73: I think that's really only a thing if you live in Manhattan or San Francisco. Status cities. L.A. in my experience had lots of hard working people but once the clocked stopped it's like people didn't care. Of course if you work in the Entertainment Industry (which I don't) that's another story. Much like being a stock broker in NYC. I wouldn't say I flaunt what I do, but I might work harder than others around here. Mountain life always comes second and I don't always have the energy for it.

In terms of flaunting - for the record my car is pushing 14 years of age ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
You must be thinking of another poster.

I didn't mention careers. I also did not post anything about Denver eating people from the coasts.

If you are going to attack someone, get your facts straight first.
Whatever - it was you and another poster teaming up to not only encourage me to leave but not even give it a shot.

You know what makes a city? Diversity of people, places, and things. Cities should never be a "one size fits all" type of thing. Not everyone is going to have a small dog, Subaru, beard, and have a GF where all they do is talk about each other.

Old 01-20-2017, 11:25 AM

5,423 posts, read 2,822,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
That is how I see my job, now. When I was younger I was all about pleasing some boss trying to make more money. Now my job is so I can live and play. My job is actually in the way. That doesn't mean I don't take my job seriously but I don't live to work. I work to live.
I pretty much always worked to live, which is one of the reasons why I felt more at home in CO than MA. But that was only one reason, and a very minor one. Also, there are plenty of Type A workers in Denver. Many of them manage to fit in just fine. Some of them even carry the drivenness into both work and play. Placing high priorities on both career and recreation is not mutually exclusive.

Fitting in is not a function of only one or two things, any place.

BTW, back when CO did have the recession that I first arrived to, I bet most Type A careerists would not have considered moving there at all. They come in great numbers AFTER high-paying jobs start to proliferate.

Old 01-20-2017, 11:33 AM

5,423 posts, read 2,822,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
BlueScreen73: I think that's really only a thing if you live in Manhattan or San Francisco. Status cities. L.A. in my experience had lots of hard working people but once the clocked stopped it's like people didn't care. Of course if you work in the Entertainment Industry (which I don't) that's another story. Much like being a stock broker in NYC. I wouldn't say I flaunt what I do, but I might work harder than others around here. Mountain life always comes second and I don't always have the energy for it.

Whatever - it was you and another poster teaming up to not only encourage me to leave but not even give it a shot.

You know what makes a city? Diversity of people, places, and things. Cities should never be a "one size fits all" type of thing. Not everyone is going to have a small dog, Subaru, beard, and have a GF where all they do is talk about each other.
Now you're really jumping to unfounded conclusions, trying to distract from your error in attribution.

And that major stereotyping is so ludicrous I am not even going to bother discussing it.

You got your umpteen pages of attention. Congratulations.

Old 01-20-2017, 01:07 PM

6,557 posts, read 10,264,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post

Dallas and its northern burbs are notorious for the "Keeping Up With The Joneses" attitude. It's a very Type A city. Maybe not to the level of NYC, but it's noticeably more of a rat race than Denver.

Old 01-20-2017, 01:11 PM

21,873 posts, read 23,146,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Careerist View Post
Hiking/snowshoeing is probably the best bang for your buck. Biking can be relatively cheap, but if you start getting into it more seriously, as I have, you learn that it can be moderately costly with maintenance, etc. But still an excellent bang for your buck IMO. Skiing/snowboarding wouldn't be so bad if not for the hefty ski pass costs. I'm trying to ween my SO off of that now, as I don't know how comfortable I am with any more $600/yr passes.
Well anything can "get" expensive if you start getting serious. But you can be outside on the bike trails without leaving the city on a cheap bike just fine. Or even a rental. It is possible to enjoy the outdoors without having to invest big bucks to do so. Or, as Timmy said above, even having to drive up to the mountains.

Walk, run, hike, bike, snowshoe....

Old 01-20-2017, 09:03 PM

6,944 posts, read 6,553,038 times
It's not the expense, it's the priorities.

I know plenty of people who probably have less money than the OP yet prioritize their recreation over their apartment, their car, etc. It doesn't make them hicks. It makes them Coloradoans. Some of the best people I've met are ski bums, climbing bums and boater bums. I ski patrolled with PHDs who were some of the most intelligent people I've met and were making $14 an hour.

I'm also close friends with quite a few high powered professionals and many of them, after years of grinding themselves 80 hours a week, find pleasure in hiking a mountain that they have never found through work.

This is what the OP doesn't understand. His priorities are different than many people he is meeting here and it's what is confounding him. Instead of trying to understand it, he's belittling us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or