U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 09:32 PM

214 posts, read 193,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
It's not the expense, it's the priorities.

I know plenty of people who probably have less money than the OP yet prioritize their recreation over their apartment, their car, etc. It doesn't make them hicks. It makes them Coloradoans. Some of the best people I've met are ski bums, climbing bums and boater bums. I ski patrolled with PHDs who were some of the most intelligent people I've met and were making $14 an hour.

I'm also close friends with quite a few high powered professionals and many of them, after years of grinding themselves 80 hours a week, find pleasure in hiking a mountain that they have never found through work.

This is what the OP doesn't understand. His priorities are different than many people he is meeting here and it's what is confounding him. Instead of trying to understand it, he's belittling us.
There are a lot of people that love Denver and never set foot in the mountains.

The OP is probably depressed (he lost his job, can't get a girlfriend, etc...). He would probably never admit to this (being an east coaster) and might not even recognize the emotions he is having as depression. This depression is probably what's driving women away from him (in addition to the fact that there aren't any women in Denver... LOL). Being a single guy with no job is pretty devastating as it makes you feel like you have no value as a human being. Either this depression will clear up on its own in three months (as it usually does) or he will go to a therapist who will most likely use CBT to deconstruct his negative thought patterns.

Or maybe Denver is just not a good fit for him.

Old 01-20-2017, 09:47 PM

6,978 posts, read 6,584,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty-Mill View Post

The OP is probably depressed (he lost his job, can't get a girlfriend, etc...). He would probably never admit to this (being an east coaster) and might not even recognize the emotions he is having as depression. This depression is probably what's driving women away from him (in addition to the fact that there aren't any women in Denver... LOL). Being a single guy with no job is pretty devastating as it makes you feel like you have no value as a human being. Either this depression will clear up on its own in three months (as it usually does) or he will go to a therapist who will most likely use CBT to deconstruct his negative thought patterns.

Haha! Well it could be that too I suppose. My internet psychiatrist license doesn't cover everything.

Old 01-20-2017, 09:51 PM

87,035 posts, read 102,723,474 times
Quote:

It's not just easterners who aren't "self-aware". I would not assess and diagnose someone I had never seen, or give out mental health advice.

Old 01-21-2017, 12:22 AM

214 posts, read 193,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
It's not just easterners who aren't "self-aware". I would not assess and diagnose someone I had never seen, or give out mental health advice.
Good point...

Old 01-21-2017, 03:29 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,144,904 times
Quote:

As I mentioned several times already, *I have a new job* here in Denver. I'm not unemployed and actually make more than the average out here in Denver. So spending money on dates isn't a problem, but you want the money spent on dates to actually go to girls who deserves it - not self absorbed POS bait.

I do have depression and well aware of symptoms (diagnosed in 2012). This is regardless of being an East Coaster. I was actually out with people my age from Texas last night and we were all talking about our depression and anxiety issues relating to drinking. So sometimes I'm not in the mood for certain things like being outgoing, or dates can go south fast if we don't 'click.'

Also something that has not been brought up so far is how mood, depression, sleeping, etc is brutally affected by high altitude. Literally the barometric pressure reading can affect my mood from one day to another: Thin Air Might Increase Depression in Mountain States

Nobody will tell you that life is great in Colorado but the Mountain West has some of the highest suicide rates

Old 01-21-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
It's not the expense, it's the priorities.

I know plenty of people who probably have less money than the OP yet prioritize their recreation over their apartment, their car, etc. It doesn't make them hicks. It makes them Coloradoans. Some of the best people I've met are ski bums, climbing bums and boater bums. I ski patrolled with PHDs who were some of the most intelligent people I've met and were making $14 an hour.

I'm also close friends with quite a few high powered professionals and many of them, after years of grinding themselves 80 hours a week, find pleasure in hiking a mountain that they have never found through work.

This is what the OP doesn't understand. His priorities are different than many people he is meeting here and it's what is confounding him. Instead of trying to understand it, he's belittling us.
"Belittling Us?!" Are you serious?

Stop trying to make Denver into some exclusive club. People shouldn't have to "fit into" a certain mold to thrive out here. This attitude is simply not tolerated in other major cities and it's perhaps what is holding Denver back culturally speaking.

Old 01-21-2017, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
"Belittling Us?!" Are you serious?

Stop trying to make Denver into some exclusive club. People shouldn't have to "fit into" a certain mold to thrive out here. This attitude is simply not tolerated in other major cities and it's perhaps what is holding Denver back culturally speaking.
Too funny. I'd suggest you stop trying to make Denver in to something it's not. If it's not for you, move along.

Denver isn't any more exclusive than California or the East Coast. It's just different. You started by saying Denverites would be eaten alive on the East coast but then were offended when I said East Coasters can be eaten alive here. How does that make Denver any more exclusive?

Old 01-22-2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Too funny. I'd suggest you stop trying to make Denver in to something it's not. If it's not for you, move along.

Denver isn't any more exclusive than California or the East Coast. It's just different. You started by saying Denverites would be eaten alive on the East coast but then were offended when I said East Coasters can be eaten alive here. How does that make Denver any more exclusive?
I suggest if you don't have any good advice to give out (which you clearly don't), move along.

Old 01-22-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
I suggest if you don't have any good advice to give out (which you clearly don't), move along.
I think short of agreeing with you, you're not interested in any input.

Old 01-22-2017, 04:08 PM

5,471 posts, read 2,856,170 times
Quote:
As I mentioned several times already, *I have a new job* here in Denver. I'm not unemployed and actually make more than the average out here in Denver. So spending money on dates isn't a problem, but you want the money spent on dates to actually go to girls who deserves it - not self absorbed POS bait.

I do have depression and well aware of symptoms (diagnosed in 2012). This is regardless of being an East Coaster. I was actually out with people my age from Texas last night and we were all talking about our depression and anxiety issues relating to drinking. So sometimes I'm not in the mood for certain things like being outgoing, or dates can go south fast if we don't 'click.'

Also something that has not been brought up so far is how mood, depression, sleeping, etc is brutally affected by high altitude. Literally the barometric pressure reading can affect my mood from one day to another: Thin Air Might Increase Depression in Mountain States

Nobody will tell you that life is great in Colorado but the Mountain West has some of the highest suicide rates
Maybe all those "9s and 10s" girls that you imply are your equals in looks feel their attention should be spent on men (boys, using your terminology) who deserve it, not self-absorbed POS bait. Maybe they don't even use looks or money as the most important criterion.

Maybe they read these forums, too.

Last edited by pikabike; 01-22-2017 at 04:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or