Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 08:35 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,808,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
FYI, the correct word for your title is "jibe." Jive is what Barbara Billingsley translated in the movie "Airplane."
I made up a word - moderators can we change thread name "I'm here 10 months in and feel like I'm not fitting in "Bigly"?

Old 01-16-2017, 09:05 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
I made up a word - moderators can we change thread name "I'm here 10 months in and feel like I'm not fitting in "Bigly"?
Done.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Done.
lol I was joking but thanks!!!

Old 01-16-2017, 09:14 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
So I moved here 10 months ago for a new job and just got cut loose unexpectedly (no written explanation, reasoning, etc.) I'm 29, male, straight & single and was courted here for a new job and a fresh start. Let's just say I may have a potential feeling it's not working out so far.

I'm from NJ originally and moved here from Southern California. I would say I was probably bored out there, but content. I would only say since I moved here have I been just angrier deep down and constantly bogged down by job changes. It was a big process to move into an apartment with no furniture and start all over again. I will also say I need to do a better job of getting out more and joining sports clubs and go snowboarding, but all of that takes a back seat to work. But overall, I'm less relaxed and angrier than I was in California. I also feel the high altitude is screwing with my digestive system a bit.

I've met guy friends (drinking buddies per say) just fine. But the dating scene is grueling even compared to L.A. Not because it's the lack of women here but because I don't think they "jive" with my overly sarcastic dark personality type. Without going too much into specifics, it's wearing me down gradually.

I don't know if 10 months is enough, but has any transplants moved here and feel like it's a bit overrated? Are there people who have moved here and went somewhere else because they didn't like it? The only 2 places I would consider moving to are Florida or back to SoCal.

PS: I know 10 months isn't enough time to judge, but it could be a good barometer. So I'll hang in there until the 1.5 year mark when lease is up and make the ultimate call - just looking for perspective.
I am almost certain that NJ sarcasm is hurting you. People out West don't get sarcasm and/or don't like it. It's interesting you mention anger. Sarcasm is actually a form of anger. The East Coast (NYC, Philadelphia, Boston, DC) has an angry energy going on. If you grew up there, it seems as natural as the air you breathe, so you don't notice it. But you are carrying it around without even being aware of it. Trust me. Other people pick up on it. And they don't like it.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:23 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,208,767 times
Life is short. Go with your gut. What is the worst that can happen? You move back.

I think you would love it along the coast in SE Florida. And if not, try someplace else.

It stinks to move. But it stinks more to look back in regret for not making a move when your insides are telling you it's not your happy place.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I am almost certain that NJ sarcasm is hurting you. People out West don't get sarcasm and/or don't like it. It's interesting you mention anger. Sarcasm is actually a form of anger. The East Coast (NYC, Philadelphia, Boston, DC) has an angry energy going on. If you grew up there, it seems as natural as the air you breathe, so you don't notice it. But you are carrying it around without even being aware of it. Trust me. Other people pick up on it. And they don't like it.
I'm almost certain you are incorrect being people from the Midwest and even Colorado have the same attitudes (or close to it). And by the way the Attitude you get in DC is totally different than NYC. If you lump all cities together as far as attitude goes, you are nuts.

Yeah I pick up on a vague Colorado vibe and I tell it like it is. Can't have our head up our a** and in the mountains all the time. My attitude is polarizing in Denver and more appreciated in Los Angeles but not some "unwelcoming" behavior like you impose. I will say a lot of CO types would be eaten alive on the coasts and it's probably a huge reason they reside here.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
Life is short. Go with your gut. What is the worst that can happen? You move back.

I think you would love it along the coast in SE Florida. And if not, try someplace else.

It stinks to move. But it stinks more to look back in regret for not making a move when your insides are telling you it's not your happy place.
Where in Southeast Florida? - curious. Just down in Boca Raton and Hillsboro Besch for work and really liked it. I felt very relaxed for certain

Old 01-16-2017, 09:44 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,555,088 times
Quote:

I will say a lot of CO types would be eaten alive on the coasts and it's probably a huge reason they reside here.

And some East Coast and California types get eaten alive here. Too career focused and can't climb or ski well enough to fit in.

Old 01-17-2017, 05:56 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,083,328 times
It's interesting how most people responddin g have been transplants... The story is so much different in every way for natives. Try moving out of the trendy areas and come experience real Colorado.

Old 01-17-2017, 06:05 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Quote:
I will say a lot of CO types would be eaten alive on the coasts and it's probably a huge reason they reside here.
I moved here because I couldn't hack it in So Cal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
And some East Coast and California types get eaten alive here. Too career focused and can't climb or ski well enough to fit in.
Ggggguuuuuiiiiilllllttttttyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver